Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 01:01AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 01:12AM

Take care, Bethie !

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 01:14AM

BD (before divorce) I lived near Carnation which usually makes TV news during floods (Tolt R. flows into Snoqualmie R).

it's very difficult to drive into Redmond, sometimes briefly isolated.

I lived up the hill so 'our house' never was in danger.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 02:27AM

I'm doing okay. This is the first time since I've been here that my sump pump has been put to use. The basement hasn't flooded. (A *basement*? Next to the Skookumchuck? Yeah.)

So other than poking around in the sump pump hole with an old piece of bamboo (shurrup! It has a float like that in a toilet tank!), we're good.

The ducks have created another pond in a flower bed. My dog's pretty much over all this rain business despite being part lab.

There's nothing but mud in the house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 02:45AM by Beth.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 02:45AM

You need something like this - https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=926-25104-wgb

Pumps fail.

Date: January 08, 2020 03:07AM

Yah. Plus I don't know if there's a battery back up. I have an inversion generator, but I might need a whole house generator which might blow up the few knob and tube lines and blargh.

Date: January 08, 2020 03:27AM

Yah - basement is good. I poked the float with that bamboo stick so it would bounce and turn on the pump. Pumps working. I should probably stop poking it with a stick.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 05:00PM

I live east of Oregon City out in the rural area. We lose power several times a year due to the weather. My electrician buddy and I installed a new breaker box that allows me to reverse feed from my generator back into the breaker panel, and with a 10K watt generator, I can run pretty much everything in my house except for 220V stuff. The breaker box has a mechanical lock out so you can't have it getting power from the line and the generator at the same time. It works really well and didn't cost much to install.

I have a battery back up on my sump pump too though.

Date: January 09, 2020 03:47PM

This house was built in 192err9? Something like that, so one of the first things I had done when I moved here was have an electrician look at the works.

I wanted a new breaker box but then there was all this business about having to move it because the house had been grandfathered in re: the location of the box and if he did any work, blah blah move the box and ugh.

I asked him if the wiring was okay and if my house was going to burn down due to the knob and tube. And he said naw - the previous owner always had new lines installed when he did things like adding appliances and all that good stuff and no one spliced the knob and tube lines that were still juiced and I was good.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet this year and have the electrician replace the box and get an outdoor gennie.

Meanwhile, I've managed to go 24 hours without poking the sump pump with a stick. A personal best!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 06:55PM

Poking the pump.....that made me giggle for some reason :)

Date: January 09, 2020 09:32PM

Giggling is good!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 10:49AM

Sus I/S, thanks for this.

I have a giant water heater in a basement (not near a drain) that I worry about constantly. I didn't know these existed.

Stay dry, Beth. Hoping the ducks are the only ones who have puddles.

Date: January 09, 2020 09:35PM

Yah - we're good. We're tracking in a lot of the outdoors. Just when it looks like we're getting a break, more rain and supersaturated soil.

Buy stock in Muck Boots!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 01:17AM by Beth.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 10:06PM

Solid Signal has all kinds of odd things. I have been buying from them for several years. I actually enjoy getting their ads because I find out about things like this I never knew existed. I got a small little sensor for under my sink that beeps but for something like a pump or a water in a place I don't go often I would want something that would hit my phone ASAP before real damage can be done!

Date: January 08, 2020 02:34AM

Here's another river gauge thingy.

https://rivers.lewiscountywa.gov/#/

Didn't the Newaukum flood last time?

Date: January 08, 2020 02:43AM

Oh wow. Mudslides near Grays Harbor.

Date: January 08, 2020 03:29AM

I hate, hate, HATE the Astoria bridge! That thing is scary AF! Holy smokes that's one terrifying bridge going south. All you see is the sky, and it's like, HOW DID I ACCIDENTALLY DRIVE ON A ROLLERCOASTER?

Horrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 03:29AM by Beth.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 09:42PM

Wow that is a fairly scary looking bridge Beth. Four miles long!

Greetings from the other side of the world where the weather remains rather dry and warm. Fires still everywhere but also some tropical cyclones and floods further north.

Next time around I think we should populate a planet with a more predictable and bland environment. Does Kolob's solar system offer any such choices?

Or perhaps we could commission one from Slartibartfast on the planet-building world of Magrathea.

Date: January 09, 2020 09:47PM

:)

How are your countrymen doing?

I love the koalas. I do. Even the ones with chlamydia. But I also worry about the people. Are they still evacuating people from beaches?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 10:36AM

I loved going there. It was beautiful up in that area.

I agree about the Astoria Bridge.

Date: January 09, 2020 09:31PM

Date: January 09, 2020 09:44PM

Date: January 09, 2020 06:22PM

Washington & Oregon have been deadlocked for years regarding a new I-5 bridge across the Columbia;

One (JERK) Washington legislator INSISTED that there couldn't be rapid transit across a new bridge, I hope he isn't in the leg any longer...

the further one gets away from Seattle, the weirder their politics / politicians get, it's TRUE,

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 07:09PM

Skookumchuck

Newaukum

Snoqualmie

Bucoda

Youse guys are very blessed!

Date: January 09, 2020 08:20PM

Seattle was named after an Indian chief

where I live, Sequim, is in Clallam County, named after the 'english' spelling of the tribe(s) that live(d/s) here, the s'clallam.

Duwamish indians lived in part of what is now Seattle.

Where I lived BD, now Carnation, used to be named Tolt until the milk company (now part of Nestle) came in. Various sub-tribes of the Snoqualmie Indians still are rooted there.

Also Spokane, Wenatchee.

Mt. Rainer was formerly called Tahoma by the indigenous peoples ; (hence city of Tacoma) now after some British explorer guy who 'discovered it'.

Walla Walla also, along with many others;

Utah was also named after Indians / native americans / indigenous people / First Nations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 08:23PM by GNPE.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 09, 2020 08:46PM

Right! The Book of Mormon people, the survivors!!

Date: January 09, 2020 09:30PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 11, 2020 02:14AM

C'mon! You know there's no such place as "Skookumchuck." Oncce someone told me they were from a place called (get this) "Scappoose." I set them straight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.