Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 02:59PM

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/1/17/21070609/mormon-lds-church-temple-clothing-changes-affordable-comfortable-first-presidency-ceremonial

The changes:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/multimedia/file/first-presidency-letter-temple-clothing-2020-january.pdf

2.What changes are being made to the ceremonial clothing?

The adjustments include a simpler design for the veil and robe, removing the plastic insert from the cap and the tie from the cap and veil, and using a more durable fabric tor the robe, cap and sash so that they last longer and are easier to care for.

The robe, cap, sash, and envelope will be made of the same material.
The apron will not be changed.

Doesn't make me want to go back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 03:02PM

Still pinching pennies aren't they?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 03:06PM

The plastic insert in the Baker's Cap can't be removed. I wonder what would happen if you showed up with out a string to their toga AND you removed the plastic circle??? Oh, my what a sin that would be!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 03:11PM

Gee, it's almost like they Can't change anything important or substantial about 'the gospel', Right?

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 12:01AM

My TBM brother freaks out when they change stuff. He wore one piece garments for years until they totally wore out because he could not buy them any more.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 03:13PM

I like how fine tuned ghawd can be at times!

Now if he could just be that fined tuned on the Gays in the church issues!!

Date: January 17, 2020 03:18PM

The apron hasn't changed. The bakers are still working on how to include same-sexes at the table of their lord. They are just updating the baker's hat to accommodate doing laundry more efficiently.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 03:24PM

Releasing their Spring Line.

The bakers won't want to wear the out-dated hats, and will buy the new hats, like Nelson and the other GA's wear.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 03:34PM

The new women's temple clothing will come out next Fall, just in time for conference and Christmas. The veil will be shortened for a more chic, contemporary look. The Headpiece will come in two styles: "the Wendy", with the classic bow made less bulky, and "the Sheri" with a toggle instead of a bow, for today's modern woman.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 04:11PM

Did you use to write copy for the J Peterman catalog? Elaine Benes would be proud.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 09:06PM

The first time they went out of business, there was a huge clearance event in Boston, and I got a few things, like a great all-wool robe in Black Watch. Still pricey.

Now they're out of business again. Sigh.....:(

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 11:25AM

Well, anything they can do to make that veil less hideous is progress. The day I got married, I was in the bride's room and put on my dress, then grabbed my veil and my mom was like "what are you doing? Leave that one here until you go outside for pictures, you wear the temple veil to the sealing room." No one had told me. It was back in the day before there was any way to find out about those things. I also didn't know I'd be putting on the toga and fig leaf over my wedding dress.

So I put that stuff on and the worst part was that hideous polygamy-looking veil with the bigass silly bow tied under your neck. It was all I could do to hold the tears back. We do the sealing thing and stand up to look in the eternity mirrors and I couldn't even look. It was my wedding day and I was SO ugly. I just wanted to get back to the dressing room and get out of the costume and be able to put on my real veil and go outside for pictures.

I do think it's better now that girls know more. Many of them have been to other weddings before their own. So most of them don't even bother wearing their wedding dresses for their wedding. What's the point?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 12:05PM

Since Nelson is bent on making changes, he should also allow couples to wear normal (white) wedding clothes instead of the Masonic robes.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 04:08PM

Well yippee. So the actual string from the cap and the veil are being removed.
Not to worry though. Still plenty of figurative strings attached to temple attendance. Obedience, church above family, tithing, tithing & tithing.
Bow your head and say yes!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 09:33PM

More like bend over and say YES! The temple. Hurts so good!

Date: January 17, 2020 04:39PM

You never forget going through a session with your dad and being told that you were wearing the robe on the wrong shoulder, the string attached incorrectly and being told that entire session was flubbed up (after temple workers helped us tying strings, changing shoulders etc) and being denied to go through the veil.

Date: January 17, 2020 04:50PM

How bad is it if your fly is open?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 09:13PM

---------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 09:18PM by saucie.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 06:56PM

What?!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 11:14AM

I lived in fear of things like this happening. I hate attention. I had taken my best friend with me that day to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. I think this was my last endowment. They had me change everything around and then they had me go through the veil. I was surprised they didn't have the name redone. Maybe they did (more than they usually would).

I always went hoping I could sit in the CR and this was again another time I didn't get to (I never did). My best friend and my husband were waiting in the CR and were really concerned, wondering what had happened to me.

Date: January 17, 2020 04:45PM

The endowment is dying a death of a thousand cuts.

Date: January 17, 2020 04:47PM

Of a thousand words, signs, tokens, and prays for it to end soon.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 04:54PM

Or a TBM finally "graduates" to the cap and gown only ceremony.

Geez, I'm so glad I left this stupid "Cult"-ure Club!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 04:54PM by cricket.

Date: January 17, 2020 04:57PM

Kolob, Kolob, Kolob chameleon. You grow so old, you grow so o-old. Living was easy in primary - red, yellow, and blue.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 05:03PM

They should completely change the temple clothes into Bozo the clown outfits. It would fit the rest of the temple ceremony much better.

Date: January 17, 2020 06:51PM

Actually, everyone ought to be naked and put on their garments when Adam and Eve are instructed to in the narrative.

Date: January 17, 2020 09:39PM

Ha! Ha! That would be more more accurate and think about the cost savings. No temple gowns or white shirts and pants to buy.

Date: January 20, 2020 11:09AM

But it would require more seat cleaning.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 08:20PM

Can someone please explain to me exactly what that little string was for in the first place?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 08:45PM

I thought it was because the Masonic robes had a string but I really don't know.

Date: January 18, 2020 02:52AM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can someone please explain to me exactly what that
> little string was for in the first place?

Someone explained that it was to symbolize the connection between man and god.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 12:53PM

When I asked, every time I went through until I gave up, NOBODY knew. The ones who knew must have been God's elect and not allowed to converse with us lowly mortals.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 09:07PM

To remind them that there are strings attached.

Date: January 20, 2020 11:55AM

That was a good one...The inside slider is a hell of a pitch!!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 09:23PM

Where do I get one of those cool black and green aprons like the one Satin wears in the ceremony? Someone needs to bring one of those in to the ceremony and complain that there is no diversity. It's been thirty-five years since I've attended an endowment ceremony. Does Satin still show up have a role there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 09:24PM by azsteve.

Date: January 17, 2020 09:42PM

Lucifer was the best dressed character.

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 11:04PM

[|] Wrote:

> The apron will not be changed.

Of course not!

That bloody symbol of Freemasonry, the cult which founded the old Mormon church-front must remain.

More gentle it is than the change a couple decades age from that bloody oath where you agreed to have a new grin carved beneath your chin if you blab.

They slowly move to newer, more gentle changes.

Date: January 18, 2020 01:12AM

The whole thing was so ridiculous I never took it seriously. Playing baker’s hat, toga dress up with a jolly green giant apron. Please. What’s laughable is a omnipotent god requires us to wear this stuff to come back into his presence.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 07:52AM

Normdeplume, your name makes me laugh!

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: January 17, 2020 11:59PM

When I was a missionary we were told by the temple pres that the string connecting to the cap was like God connecting to you and the p-hood.

So much for that temple pres and his wisdom.

Date: January 18, 2020 01:18AM

Why the hat if it needs to be connected to the robe? The robes could have a hood and you could look like a Druid in the temple. Give Russ a few more months. He will change more things regarding the temples.

What pretty apparent is the never changing pure gospel of Christ as restored by Joseph Smith according to Russ, is changeable. He’s making the point he’s prophet and he can change whatever he wants.

I hope he doubles down on the changes. It will start to freak the more orthodox TBM’s out. The majority of the members won’t care and even like more being changed and cut.

Date: January 20, 2020 11:58AM

> When I was a missionary we
> were told by the temple pres
>that the string connecting to
> the cap was like God connecting
> to you and the p-hood.

I just read that the string is to remind you that knowledge (the brain) and feelings/emotions (the heart) need to be connected.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 18, 2020 12:08PM

I liked the one comment from Lilly Munster:

"And people have the crust to call us weird. But I'll keep my old Temple Clothing. What was good enough for Moses is good enough for me."

Never heard these things were traced back to Moses.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.