Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 04:07AM

Regimentation / Nazi-Mos

or

those little flecks of history?

I think the first, it's easy to explain history, or as TBMs say 'Put it into context of the times'.

what says the board? (other factors?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 04:45AM

When you’re inside the bubble, all you can see is bubble. You will twist your thinking into balloon animals to make everything fit. The church really can get away with anything.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 05:19AM

Does child molestation and physical assaults come under the heading of ""Regimentation/Nazi-Mos"?

That's what made me make that split-second decision to officially resign, burn the bridges, and never go back.

I wonder how many other people find out about the lies and "little fleks of history", one after another, yet remain in the cult for social reasons, because of family pressure and threats of what would happen if they were to leave. I lived with the lies for a while, because of family pressure and brainwashing: "The Mormon church is the best way to raise children." Not.

Child abuse was the deal-breaker for me.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 06:34PM

Depends.

I think the regimentation and sheer boredom, plus the weird rules (coffee, tithing, covered shoulders, etc) are off putting for converts. I doubt most of them are aware of historical embarrassments.

For the BICers however, I think both drive out a fair number. It's just a matter of which straw breaks the camel's back.

Edit to add: on additional thought, I think the better read nevermos think Mormonism is a joke because of what they know of the history, which for most people is polygamy, BY, JS, racism, perhaps sexism, and now, gobs of money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 06:39PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 06:44PM

The church's big worry is the upcoming generations not having any interest in organized religion. They are worried a larger snowball effect of young single adults leaving.

Thus the new youth program. Youth temple recommends. Telling the bishoprics to spend more time with the youth. Making the youth feel more important by giving them more responsibility.

We will see if it works in another ten years. We will see if Nelson's gung ho gathering Israel programs are successful.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 08:33PM

I knew SOME of the other stuff, but not a lot of it. I wasn't looking for it. It bothered me when I read that Gerald Lund series and it talked about polygamy and talking in tongues.

When you are living the reality of their teachings and your life is a f'd up mess through no fault of your own, they don't have REAL answers for you, but wrong answers. I trusted them. They failed me in so many ways. I could no longer support an organization that couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

I think one of the problems MIGHT be things like gays. A lot of the younger generations (my kids are in their 30s and their friends support gays), their attitudes towards things like gays and even the problems they've had with getting their kids who have seizures the CBD or marijuana they need. There is no way that medical marijuana could have passed in Utah without mormons voting for it and now they are doing everything they can to mess that up. Their stance on the children of gays was a mess and they saw the fallout. The younger mormons are rebelling against those attitudes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 08:35PM by cl2.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 02:50PM

I've noticed how small the world has become with internet and smart phones. The younger generation in their teens, 20's and even early 30's are more in touch with the outside world thru social media than the oldsters used to be at their age. Younger Mormons want to fit in with the rest of the world and not just the Mormon, mostly Utah, crowd. The issue of gay rights is a world issue and not just a Utah Mormon issue. Even Utah Mormons can see, now, what the rest of the world thinks and does. Youth want to be current and tscc is getting more behind by the minute. Just changing the names of things like home teachers to ministers isn't fooling anyone.

I think this is what is hurting Church Co. the most. It is being run by ancient thinking managers who don't understand that the kids being raised now days don't respond well to being ordered into compliance and looking stupid compared to the rest of the world. Church Co. is looking for a Pied Piper (Bednar???) to appeal to youth but there doesn't seem to be a New Age, Mormon version of Joseph Smith in the ranks.

So, I guess if I had to choose between your two choices, I pick the first as well. Yet some of those raised Mormon actually like the regimented, conformist mind set. As the ranks dwindle, they will be the ones who stay on board and scratch their heads wondering what's happening.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 03:38PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.