Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 08:35AM

LDS Church leaders will be responsible for countless deaths if they fail to warn the Saints about the repeat of the 1918 flu plague.

Learn what stopped it. ONLY when people stayed home was it finally stopped.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 08:45AM

General conference was postponed that year because of the flu.

Date: January 23, 2020 09:36AM

The Lord forgot to tell Joseph Smith and succeeding inspired prophets to avoid unclean sacramental rituals.

https://history.churchofjesuschrist.org/blog/sacrament-cup-influenza-epidemic-1918?lang=eng

One must wonder...why?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 03:26PM

I had 2 uncles aged 4 and 7 who died in that epidenic

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 05:19PM

My grandfather died and my aunt almost died then. My grandma never got over it.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 03:32PM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 07:33AM

Why would LDS leaders warn people about the flu? Like, what? They have prophets or something?

I'll be a prophetess and warn you. If you had a flu shot this year, still stay home if you get sick. When I finally drug my ass into the minor med a couple weeks ago, only because I knew I had to travel the next week and had to kick whatever was sucking the air out of my lungs and giving me the first high fever I'd had in 20 years, I was tested and sure enough...flu. WTF? I told the doc I'd had a flu shot and her response was, "yeah? So did 50% of the people I saw yesterday."

So I wonder if the PS&Rs know whether this is going to turn into 1918 again. Surely, they'd use their super hero prophet powers and warn us. Right?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 01:24AM

Supposedly the strain going around is covered by this season's flu shot, but I'm hearing the same thing. Some people who were vaccinated are getting the flu anyway.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 06:53AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Supposedly the strain going around is covered by
> this season's flu shot, but I'm hearing the same
> thing. Some people who were vaccinated are getting
> the flu anyway.

Tsk tsk tsk...

A flu shot will not always stop you from getting the flu, but the disease would be much worse for you without the shot.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 10:05AM

I lost some relatives living in Ottawa, Ontario at that time.

I've had the flu once since I started getting a flu shot about 17 years ago and it was the mildest flu I've ever had.

I started getting a shot because I always got way too sick whenever I'd get it, almost landing in the hospital due to my fever going to 103-something, and it would last so long. I missed 6 weeks of work due to illness one year and vowed the next year to start getting a shot.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 04:12PM

I had a full-blown case of the flu back in the 80s when I lived in NYC. I attribute it to riding packed subway cars to and from work. I was miserable for five days or so. I haven't had a severe case since then. Some years I get vaccinated, and some not. I haven't received a vaccine this year, but I did get one last year. Supposedly the flu is in the broader region at present, but not so much in my particular area.

My maternal grandmother lost her first husband in the 1918 pandemic. He was a handsome young fellow, and they had a few children together before he passed. She married a widower with several children of his own.

Date: January 28, 2020 06:26AM

27 people quarantined with 4 of 5 symptoms. No flights from China are allowed into the Philippines since Monday.

People stocking up water and foods.

All masks sold out.Towels now being hoarded in Cebu areas.

The missionaries should be called out of Asia.

Do you hear me, Brethren?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 03:02PM

My son flew home from Vietnam to China to San Francisco just yesterday. I was surprised they got out of China.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 28, 2020 03:59PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2020 04:00PM by elderolddog.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.