Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 03:49PM

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020/01/30/william-barr-theres-a-militant-secular-effort-to-suppress-religion/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2ZNJn2HNSDLXBMd6qWkq2yPP2moPRTSRm5Z1piQG4xkkSSOLnbLsI38u8

During an interview with New York’s Cardinal Timothy Dolan yesterday, Attorney General William Barr....claimed that there was a “militant secular effort” to suppress religion, despite failing to define whatever “militant” secularism means."
“The problem today is not that religious people are trying to impose their views on non-religious people,” Barr told Dolan on his SiriusXM radio show Conversation with Cardinal Dolan. “It’s the opposite — it’s that militant secularists are trying to impose their values on religious people, and they’re not accommodating the freedom of religion of people of faith.”
“We believe in the separation of church and state,” Barr stated. “But what permits a limited government and minimal command and control of the population — and allows people to have freedom of choice in their lives — and trust in the people is the fact that they are a people that are capable of disciplining themselves according to moral values.”

"Moral Values" including denying equal rights to people because they're gay, or a minority, or female, or not the right religion, or any other protected class of people?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 03:54PM

There’s a “Militant Sectarian Effort” to suppress religious freedom

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 03:56PM

And Hemant Mehta is an @$$h01e.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 04:38PM

There are persistent references in serious reportage that William Barr is (and has been for a long time) a member of Opus Dei--which Opus Dei itself says is not true....after explaining that when the organization is queried as to whether or not a given person (all males, I believe; though I am not 100% sure of this) is or is not a member of Opus Dei, they always deny that such membership exists.

Assuming that the multitudinous reports of Barr's Opus Dei membership are accurate, or even if they are NOT accurate, I think it is fair to say that a specifically religious agenda, applied to secular life, is being promoted here.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 06:16PM

That's pretty ballsy, especially here,
        where so many of us are anti-mormonism
        and would no doubt ...  No, I'm wrong,
        we WOULD treat mormons equally...

Wait...  So what is the OP about?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 06:23PM

Well you got God on your side so why you losing? Is your God not doing his fair share?

The real problem is that the non-religious don't give a rat's ass and are focused on real life and that gives the religious a chance to do whatever they want. Cat's away--mice will play.

Religious bigotry is being suppressed though. Shame about that.
Boo hoo.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 01, 2020 12:36AM

That would be me. Yes, I'm militantly opposed to religion. I want it out of schools and government--out damn spot.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: February 01, 2020 12:39AM

Why isn't "moral values" paying property taxes for these religious buildings & parsonages?
Instead, all others make up for them - even if you are no a believer. Police services, fire protection and such are provided yet they don't contribute to the cost. Let them be actually "moral" and pay their own way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.