Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 06, 2020 09:33PM

OK ~

so ~

a while back some exmo was here on RfM warning other exmos against tainted italian / european olive oils ~

this exmo was saying that California olive oil was only to be trusted ~

source: (can't find the thred) ~

brb ~ ziller be buying nothing but glass-bottles of premium California EVOO ever sinse then ~

anyway ~

¿ so what is the current 411 info for exmo-safe EVOO RfM ? ~

it looks like the Californians is mixing they oil with some countries from the south Americas now ~

(no racist) ~

so ~

¿ is California EVOO still legit for exmos to use ? ~

RfM needs to know dammit ~

plz respon ~

also ~

so ~

ziller stopped by the local H.E.B. market today ~

brb ~ picked up some of they Central Market® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil ~

brb ~ cold-pressed Hojiblance olives

brb ~ product of Spain ~

brb ~ in a clear glass bottle ~

brb ~ it looks beautiful ~

in b 4 ~ ziller hab done f*cked up and bought poisoned EVOO ~

plz respon RfM ~

plz halp ~

thx ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 06, 2020 10:12PM

One of my concerns as well.

Costco has a specific brand (which I cannot remember) which is approved by everyone who cares about unadulterated, highest quality (it comes from somewhere like Spain, or Italy?)....but it only comes in once a year, and the once-a-year inventory sells out immediately--so: if you're not in Costco on the right few days, you're out of luck for the rest of the year.

Second preference for me is (from the label):
Spectrum Culinary Organic Extra Virgin Mediterranean Olive Oil; First Cold Pressed (from Tunisia), which is Certified Organic by QAI [?]. I buy mine from Follow Your Heart (vegetarian/vegan market and small restaurant): followyourheart.com

I read labels, and I've found there is usually at least one choice I can live with at Trader Joe's--assuming that you read labels too, which I assume you do ;).

You might also check out Sprouts markets if you have any in your area, and I mostly no longer shop at Whole Foods (because of what Amazon has done), but that would be an obvious place to look too.

Hope this helps!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 01:14AM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of my concerns as well.
>
> Costco has a specific brand (which I cannot
> remember) which is approved by everyone who cares
> about unadulterated, highest quality (it comes
> from somewhere like Spain, or Italy?)....but it
> only comes in once a year, and the once-a-year
> inventory sells out immediately--so: if you're not
> in Costco on the right few days, you're out of
> luck for the rest of the year.

Here's a positive review for their Kirkland EVOO, two-litre bottle. Nothing in the article suggests that this is an infrequently available item, though. Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.businessinsider.com/costco-olive-oil-experts-top-budget-pick-2019-3

(You could probably pour 10W-40 over my salad, and I wouldn't know the difference!)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 07, 2020 02:39AM

In that they name the countries of origin, I trust the California EVOO. My guess is that their market demand now exceeds the production of their California sources.

Right now, we're using Pompeii Spanish EVOO. Spanish? via Pompeii? Oh, well. My wife likes it but I can't tell the difference, as my taste buds were shot off in the war. That's another story.

What I wonder about is "Green Mountain Coffee." Is it really mountain grown, or are they fooling us with the cheaper stuff from the Champlain Valley plantations. Maybe Bernie can look into this. And for that matter, is "Nantucket Blend" really blended on Nantucket?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 07, 2020 10:07AM

Labeling for Olive Oil is like labeling for a lot of packaged goods. You need your own Joseph Smith with a seer stone to translate the Reformed Egyptian. Like the difference between something listed as chocolate and something listed as "Chocolatey Flavor" which usually means that word on the wrapper is the only chocolate in the treat.

I read the labels and what my seer stone tells me is that unless it is labeled as being 100% from one origin-- be it Spain, California, or Italy--it is a mix.

A bottle labeled Italian Olive oil only means it was bottled there and exported from there. The olives could have come from anywhere.

After reading labels carefully and trying a lot of different ones, I love the California olive oils the most. Like their wines, Spain and Italy keep the good stuff for themselves.

All olive oils have the same healing powers though when rubbed into your scalp by your favorite Priesthood holder.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 07, 2020 10:35AM

Double pressed ?

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: February 07, 2020 03:14PM

Try avocado oil. Good stuff and not likely polluted. IMO.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 07, 2020 03:56PM

This article is from 2015, but the information is very likely still as good now as it was then (and is easy to understand).

For anyone who has no real idea of what is being talked about in this thread, and for everyone who DOES know:

https://www.nclnet.org/evoo

P.S. Although I do keep a bottle of olive oil near the stove (for most of the year, until the ambient temperature gets too high), it is a REALLY good idea to store olive oil in your refrigerator. When I have more than one bottle or tin in the house, all of the back-ups are in my refrigerator at all times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 04:01PM by Tevai.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 07, 2020 04:59PM

Can TSCC dip into its rainy day fund to buy the good stuff for washings and anointings?

Posted by: anon 4 this joke ( )
Date: February 07, 2020 05:42PM

Popeye liked Extra Virgin Olive Oyl.

Posted by: Bluto ( )
Date: February 08, 2020 01:16AM

Date: February 07, 2020 07:49PM

Just use rape seed oil

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 07, 2020 08:37PM

Peanut oil for me. I grew canola for 35 years but my wife never liked the smell of it.

Date: February 08, 2020 12:58AM

Take me to the extra virgins.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.