Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 04:29PM

Be reverent

Be obedient

Be quiet

Be humble

Pay tithes

Fast offerings

Missions abroad

Church renos

New temples

Sundays sacrificed

Free labour

Church literature {{cough}}

Give much

Give more

Your talents

Thoughts

Privacy

Future

Spouse

Family

Children

Relationships

Friendships

Potential

Obedience

Acquiescence

Free will

Happiness

Joy

Last wishes

Eternity

The Mormon Church: Specializing in sucking up entire Sundays (3 hr block/now “only” 2 hrs) + callings et al. Consuming all the days of your lives for the “kingdom” of Joseph Smith and subsequent prophet-tyrants.

Roman philosopher Seneca said: “…that very day which you are devoting to somebody or something may be your last.”

Imagine if your last day was devoted to sacrament meeting, mind-numbing callings, “discussions” with unsuspecting acquaintances to keep the missionaries busy, cleaning ward buildings or weeding their grass.

Seneca again: “… you must not think a man has lived long because he has white hair and wrinkles: he has not lived long, just existed long. For suppose you should think that a man had had a long voyage who had been caught in a raging storm as he left harbor, and carried hither and thither and driven round and round in a circle by the rage of opposing winds? He did not have a long voyage, just a long tossing about.”

“A long tossing about”. An apt description of the hamster wheel of Mormonism. It is to laugh. Or cry. Or more likely both. Most especially for BICs. Twenty-five years old with spouse and multiple kids before you can take a breath. Maybe say “what the …?”. If they give you non-stop busy work, there's no time to think, right? Surely that is one of their primary goals. Do not let the masses think.

Seneca indicates that it is toxic to follow goals that have not been chosen by oneself:

“Indeed the state of all who are preoccupied is wretched, but the most wretched are those who are toiling not even at their own preoccupations, but must regulate their sleep by another’s, and their walk by another’s pace, and obey orders in those freest of all things, loving and hating.”

Does not the Mormon Church tell its members who to "love" and who to "hate"? Although they spout the verse about loving the sinner but hating the sin, they don't act like they mean it. And they get to define sin.

Speaking of a person demanding another’s time, Seneca says:

“I am always surprised to see some people demanding the time of others and meeting a most obliging response. Both sides have in view the reason for which the time is asked and neither regards the time itself — as if nothing there is being asked for and nothing given. They are trifling with life’s most precious commodity, being deceived because it is an intangible thing, not open to inspection and therefore reckoned very cheap — in fact, almost without any value.”

He promotes preserving our own time, not giving it to others to use up:

“Nobody works out the value of time: men use it lavishly as if it cost nothing… We have to be more careful in preserving what will cease at an unknown point.”

He states that procrastination (or not putting our own priorities first) “… denies us the present by promising the future”.

Is that not an amazingly accurate description of life on the Mormon treadmill? Denying us the present (time) by promising us the future (eternal life in Mormon heaven).

Seneca quotes taken from an article re “the shortness of life”, here:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-shortness-of-life-seneca-on-busyness-and-the-art-of-living-wide-rather-than-living-long?utm_source=pocket-newtab

(I don’t necessarily agree with all the sentiments expressed in the above article but did find it an interesting read).

This topic reminded me of an old Irish song, Bunch of Thyme. I know, time/thyme, sounds the same but totally different. To me, it evokes the snare of someone/something enticing you to use up your time now for the promise of a special future but the future has no foundation.

The tune to this song is described as beautiful and soothing, yet to me it’s melancholy in the extreme. Despite the lovely melody, the underlying message is dark (“thyme” being a euphemism; a song about a young woman losing her virginity/"thyme" and then being abandoned; devastating especially in the 17th century when the song was reportedly written, as the woman would then be cast out of society, taking away hopes for a good future).

[Traditional/no writer name]

Come all you maidens young and fair
All you who are blooming in your prime
Always beware and keep your garden fair
And let no man steal away your thyme

Chorus:

Thyme it is a precious thing
Thyme brings all things to your mind
Thyme with all its labors, along with all its joys
And its thyme brings all things to an end

Once I had a bunch of thyme
I thought it never would decay
and then a lusty sailor had chanced to pass my way
He stole my bunch of thyme away

The sailor gave to me a rose
I thought it never would decay
He gave it to me to keep me reminded
Of when he stole my thyme away

So come all you maidens young and fair
All you that flourish in your prime
Always be minded to keep your garden fair
And let no man steal your bunch of thyme

Here’s a well-known Irish duo performing the song (so you can hear the melody):

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=bunch+of+thyme+foster+and+allen

-----

Here's hoping more and more members reject their callings and other time-consuming church busywork in favour of family time, me time, fun time, personal plans and their own chosen goals.

In other words, Mormons of the world, throw away your toilet brushes and - do whatever you so choose with the time you save.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 04:34PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 04:44PM

Good points. I lost a crucial chunk of my childhood to Mormonism. I lost family to Mormonism. It's the great taker.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 04:50PM

A cornerstone of cults is demanding large portions of the sheep's time. Keep them busy and involved in all things cult related. That prohibits time outside the cult and discovering new things, like truth. Brain washing 101.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 05:06PM

I was in a Ward Gossip (Council) Meeting several years ago, and was sitting at stand as a bishopric member. Suddenly I peered out into the audience in RS room where we were having the meeting. I began eyeing the ward clerk who had become suddenly pale, unsteady, and head bobbing. I asked him if he were okay, and his response was slurred. He died right there of a heart attack. No amount of emergent priesthood blessings or CPR brought him back. I think how awful it was to spend you last breath in a mind-numbing meeting like that.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 05:13PM

Come unto me, for my burden is easy and my yoke is light. All I want is your money, your dreams, and your life.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 07:03PM

the temple. For what? One thing to go to church. Another thing to go play act a hideous script. Now that would be my nightmare to have spent my last day at the temple.

My daughter now lives 5 hours from the temple. I love it!!! Right now, it would be very difficult to get to the temple. They are BURIED in snow. You can barely see that there are buildings there, a lodge. I'm chuckling. I miss her more than I ever have when she has gone to Alaska, so I wear her shoes and wear the pjs she gave me for Christmas.

But one of the biggest wastes of my time while LDS is all the energy and suffering I put into trying to figure out if my "husband" was going to be okay. Was he going to hell? Could he ever just be him and be happy? I'm still waiting for the last one. They have ruined so many lives over this ONE issue. Being gay. I have to say that after I read that last statement about I'm still waiting for this last one. He is okay. He is with us and we love him. He has his kids and he even has me and the dogs. We've come so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 07:05PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.