Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 11:18PM

I got a call around noon today telling me to meet with some cardiology consultant (PA, not a real doctor). This chap was of the opinion that he needs some sort of a test before he can "clear" me for my surgery on the 27th. I thanked him rather tartly for his opinion and said that I already had the needed insurance clearance in my possession for surgery, and that we would be moving along as scheduled.

I have another doctor to see tomorrow, and this PA person said he would call the house. DH will deal with him (undoubtedly more calmly than I would.) I have been too wound up about this surgery for too long and I just want to get it OVER WITH!!! I don't want to hear about any more B S delays, tests, or complications.

The way I feel now, it is probably a very good thing for this P A person that my good punchin' arm is the one out of order. I couldn't swat a fly with it. I don't WANT last-minute opinions. I want the bloody thing OVER AND DONE WITH!! What part of that are they having difficulty with??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 10:46AM

Oh Catnip, I'm sorry. Surgery is stressful enough without having jerks make it more so. Here's hoping all goes well and smooth.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 11:00AM

Good luck! What a trouble it is sometimes to get things medically done.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 11:40AM

own experiences and because of the work I do.

If your insurance has approved of the surgery, what is going on? BUT then again the surgeon or anesthesiologist may want to make sure your heart will be okay going under the anesthesia. I THINK they get a say on whether they want to do the surgery in case of complications.

Too many hoops to jump through.

I don't like doctors. I don't like hospitals. I don't like going to my own doctor. I like her. Her office staff is clueless.

Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking about you and hoping they do surgery Friday as planned!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2020 11:42AM by cl2.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 11:44AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like doctors. I don't like hospitals.

Totes agree.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 01:47PM

It's scary when people who work in the medical field feel this way, isn't it?

Before, I'd give a casual flip reply like "It doesn't happen in Canada, come see us" but not so much any more. Things go sideways here too. But, fortunately for us, we can say "hey, at least we don't have to pay for this" (except eventually through taxes, but at the time it seems "free").

Meanwhile, good luck catnip. Hope it all gets sorted and after all this stressful prelude, hope the surgery is a breeze.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 06:37PM

...not enough info on the procedure itself.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 06:50PM

Your surgeon will require a medical professional (your general physician, PA, or a nurse practitioner with your practice) to examine you and sign off on your general health prior to surgery. This includes a cardiac check and other checks to make sure that you are a good candidate for anesthesia and surgery. It's basically a lighter, quicker version of a physical. I can't remember precisely, but I think the timeframe is anywhere from a few days to a few weeks prior to the surgery. I've had it done on two occasions.

Your surgeon will likely make (or have made) a call to your medical practice to have requested this. This may be why the PA contacted you.

I would call your surgeon's office and ask if they contacted your medical practice or this particular PA to conduct the physical. If so, get it done, because the surgeon and anesthesiologist will not proceed with surgery without this clearance. It's truly no big deal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.