Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 02:33PM

I have long seen the LDS church as a echo chamber that exists within a bubble. What goes on inside the bubble is very important to the people who exist within it but not to the people who exist outside of it. I guess if you were going to sum up why I left the bubble was I never felt comfortable inside of it. It’s just another echo chamber in a world full of echo chambers and bubbles. I prefer to exist outside of all of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 02:57PM

It's a cult. A big cult, but it's still a cult. Calling it a church doesn't make it so.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 03:01PM

I like your analogy, Rubicon. This is a good way to put the cult into perspective.

It's based on lies and mental delusion. It's not real.

Yet, how is it possible that the cult damage is real? I have loved ones who are lost to me, who are buried deep in the echo chamber, and who haven't seen or spoken to me in years. Is the "damage" from that only in my reality, and not in their bubble-reality? They don't give a damn about me.

Can I make the pain go away, by going on living a good life outside the bubble? I would have to just let go of all of it, the memories, the lost loves, lost self-esteem, the wasted sacrifices for nothing, right?

You illustrate how far out of reach these former loved ones are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2020 03:02PM by forestpal.

Posted by: rubicon ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 04:30PM

You just have to embrace the suck and move on. Fortunately there are great new people to meet outside of the bubble. Some who have experienced what you have.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 03:54PM

Hello...hello...hello...hello..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKkLV1zE8M0

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 04:38PM

Five years later Elder Cunningham left the church and started a microbrewery.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: February 28, 2020 03:46PM

The Church can be an echo chamber fueled by peer pressure. Nobody has a testimony of anything and everything that happens in an LDS ward. But nobody dares discuss "doubts."

A ward I attended it was tradition for the elder's quorum president to be the final speaker concluding every quorum lesson. He was expected to testify to whatever was taught. I said I wouldn't be doing that if I were called as quorum president. Kept me free of that calling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.