Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SVU ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 02:00AM

Didn’t know about SVU.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 09:28AM

A lot of people in the mid-Atlantic and upper south don't know about SVU. It's off the radar even here. Mormonism barely registers.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 03:00PM

"Southern Seminary," they called it. Strikes me as a finishing school for would-be trophy wives.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 03:30PM

My mom graduated from Southern Seminary. She had a full scholarship because she played piano and organ and lived in town. She is far from a “trophy wife”... and it’s sad how Mormonism has infested her hometown of Buena Vista, VA. You can’t get a good cup of coffee there anymore... and it did cause some trouble with the locals, especially at first. My dad was from Natural Bridge, VA, about ten miles away. I know the area very well, because I have been going there my whole life.

“Sem” used to have a wonderful riding program. I considered going there myself for that reason. The Mormons turned the barn into a basketball court.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 03:56PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 03:37PM

You haven't heard of it because it is not owned by TSCC (although it masquerades as such), and with only approximately 1,000 students, it is smaller than a typical high school.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 03:42PM

When it was “Sem” it had even fewer students.

I actually know of one of the LDS businessmen who bought the school. When I was in college, I was in an auditioned choir at Longwood College (now University). One of the investors at Sem was hired to run the hospital in Farmville, where Longwood is. His wife joined the choir I was in, and I think she may have been the first Mormon I ever met. I remember she made a big deal out of being a BYU grad.

A couple of years after I graduated from Longwood, her husband and other LDS businessmen bought the school, which happened to be my mom’s alma mater. I didn’t know then I would marry a Mormon a few years later.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.