Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 28, 2020 11:22AM

An article about a former "gay conversion" preacher who has turned his life around:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/feb/28/i-was-a-gay-conversion-therapist

I know this will resonate with many people here, particularly with the "church" aspect.

It's a sad, sad world sometimes.

Tom in Paris

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 28, 2020 01:42PM

Thanks Tom in Paris.

What I liked in reading this story is that you see the a bigger picture. Nice illustration of the process of the innocent being sucked into the religious agenda against gay people. Already schooled by society to see yourself as less than for being gay sets you up for ripe picking by those who worship a very mean, shallow, bigoted God---just the way they prefer their gods. Next thing you know they have turned you into a Judas Goat.

Like all the guys at BYU who were coerced into the electro-shock or Evergreen. The pain. Yes. But more, the wasted years.

Date: February 29, 2020 04:08PM

Exactly. He actually sounds like a good man.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 28, 2020 01:49PM

After the Attack of the Eight Foot Tall, Baby-eating Spiders, who turns you on and the color of your skin will become meaningless.

Alíen apocalypse will have a couple of good points!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 28, 2020 03:03PM

In reality, in thinking about this, look at what we as a society and what organized religion has done to gays. Isn't it tragic? What about those like me and my kids? And mothers and fathers of gays, etc. It is tragic. I can't judge this guy. He needed and wanted help and what did they offer?

I wish religions would just shut up about gays. They KNOW NOTHING, but pretend they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 07:13PM by cl2.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 06:27AM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 02, 2020 10:25AM

Exactly. And it's our turn---still, to be the other, the enemy, as it has been for a very long time.

When I was a kid and realized for the first time what it was all about, when pretty much everyone felt the way the Mormons and many religions still do, I took comfort in the verse, "The first shall be last and the last shall be first." Cuz I sure felt "last."

Doesn't mean much to me anymore, though. I don't feel last, or, first. Have no use for either one.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 06:36PM

There's actually more gay people out there than you think. They're just now being allowed to come out in public without being discriminated against.
I've known of quite a few gay people growing up.
Hey Tom, hows the coronavirus scare over there? I know that most of the Milan, Italy has been shut down.
Are you going to be easily able to stay in Paris after the EU new restrictions kick in?

Date: March 02, 2020 07:28AM

Up to 135 cases and 2 deaths when I last looked, but there's no panic and we have a great health service in France.

Because of Brexit, I'll have to get a resident's card (which is just a formality after 37 years here). I'll have to become French some day, I suppose, like my children but I hate administrative formalities, so I'll probably put it off for as long as possible.

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 07:34AM by Soft Machine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.