Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 03:02PM

Unbelievable. Just a day after Ballard "clarifies" the HC and church policy, they come out with this muddied mess. I think they're just trying to torture gay students.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/3/4/21163585/byu-honor-code-lds-mormon-church-gay-marriage-lgbtq

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 03:18PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 03:38PM

Every time I hear some Pollyannas saying the Mormon church is softening it's stance and making progress, the only response I have is, "Oh Please, Mary. Pull your head out."

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 03:47PM

You're right. I think that as the US progresses (despite our government "leadership") LDS, Inc. is exposed as being further out of touch. They think they can come up with slick new PR programs, to seem "inclusive"but in reality, they're locked into scripture and doctrine that keep them from making progress. Hence, all the different phrasing, writing, talking in circles without really changing. They're forced to deal with the issues of the day, but they're not changing core discrimination and racism.

Date: March 04, 2020 03:59PM

They are as bigoted, misogynistic and homophobic as ever--same as when I was a kid in the fifties. They have no intention of changing whatsoever and so words and careful phrasing are all they have to bolster their image.

And yet the kids at BYU will put up with this. Their parents will put up with this, even champion this Ballard. Makes them the same as the disgusting gerontocracy Ballard represents. No one can work their way up the Mormon ladder unless they adhere to the status quo of the mean old men running the show. So no change is in sight.

The kids got it wrong with their saying. It really goes like this:

Sticks and stones can break your bones, but sometimes words cut the deepest. The unseen wounds are those that fester and have little chance of healing.

In 2020 as the U.S. becomes a kinder place, how can people still be following these disgusting men and sleep at night?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 05, 2020 11:45AM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 2020 as the U.S. becomes a kinder place

I hope this is so, Done & Done.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: March 05, 2020 01:21PM

"Sticks and stones can break your bones, but sometimes words cut the deepest."

Reminded me of the lyrics to rock group Bring Me the Horizon's song Ludens.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but soon the sting will pass
But names can dig so many graves you won't know where to stand"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9wvTuDC-H0

Date: March 05, 2020 04:49PM

Thank you. Those lyrics are now saved forever in my collection.

Beautiful.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 05, 2020 05:10PM

> Sticks and stones can break your bones, but
> sometimes words cut the deepest.

And often words about sticks and stones lead to the literal breaking of bones. Words spoken by authority figures are real weapons.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 06:29PM

about gays will eventually get married in the temple.

They haven't softened the stance. They just changed the wording.

P.S. See how much they love the gays. They love you just as much. They only want your money. They proved to me just how much they love me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2020 06:44PM by cl2.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 03:52PM

Translation: “We really are that stupid.”

It’s obvious where BYU gets its money from. They don’t dare set the church straight with science.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 05:52PM

Interpretation: Really we love every one but if you don't fit the mold we think you should just stay out of our sight and keep quiet.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 06:37PM

Some of the students felt safe in coming out when this was first announced. Now some of them are worried that now they will be targeted either by the honor code office or others. Sad

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 06:44PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 05, 2020 11:38AM

The LORD giveth, and the LORD taketh away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.

(Yeah, slightly misquoted, by my version scans better)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 05, 2020 11:54AM

This is likely a stupid question but why do LGBTQ students go to BYU?

I'll guess because they're not "out" and can't resist family pressure (understandable).

This issue suddenly reminded me of meeting a Mormon family on a trip to the US when I was still in. I forget the details of who was who and why I was at that house but one of the guys made a comment I didn't understand and I asked him to clarify. He had made a passing reference to not being allowed to do (whatever it was - please excuse my bad memory on this these years later) and I asked why. I remember him saying he had to "confess" to the bishop, who was his uncle. I finally picked up on the fact that he must be gay (I can be clueless that way) and I found it so very sad that not only did he feel less than due to church doctrine but he was forced to go and discuss it with his uncle. And especially being compared to his cousin, the uncle's son, who seemed like the favourite child. I liked him very much and would have been happy to stay longer and get to know him.

It bothered me to think of a church that could wound people that way.

Of course, it isn't only Mormon beliefs that cause such heartache - so many other churches do likewise for the same reasons - but Mormons certainly don't take the lead on getting enlightened.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 05, 2020 07:10PM

I got an email from BYU praising Tuesday's devotional led by M. Russell Blathered. Within the portion of the email that heaped praise on Blathered was this:

"...inviting students and others 'to look deep in your souls and ask how you can fulfill your purpose of being a child of God by loving the Lord and loving your neighbor more faithfully than you have ever done before.'”

"...look deep in your souls..."
    How deep is the deepest soul? When you go deep in your soul, is it free-diving or should you use scuba gear? When you're just wading around in the shallow end of your soul, is ghawd pissed at you? Are you letting him down?

"...you can fulfill your purpose of being a child of God..."
    Do we all have the same purpose? If so, are the 10 commandments our guideposts? Is being uninformed useful in being a child of ghawd? How about narrow-minded or bigoted?

"...and loving your neighbor more faithfully than you have ever done before."
    What's the difference between loving your neighbor faithfully and loving your neighbor unfaithfully? And if I love my neighbor more faithfully tomorrow than I do today, do I have to up my game next week?

And finally, the question that is nothing but meat: If my neighbor is gay, and I have to love and honor him/her more tomorrow than I do today, does that mean I have to be happy for him/her when he/she finds someone to love, who loves him/her?

Do I throw a party?

And if I, as a wonderful child of the mormon ghawd, know that my neighbor is condemning himself/herself, by being Gay, to a hereafter outside the presence of ghawd, do I tell him/her, or just let him/her go to hell?

If my roommate at the Y goes on a date with another guy, and I see them kiss goodnight, what does my overwhelming love for my neighbor/roommate demand that I do? What's love's answer?

And you know what I heard? I heard that all this folderol is so that BYU's anti-Gay position doesn't get the Y into trouble with its NCAA sports commitments (like they did with the Black issue) and so that organizations who help put employers in touch with students and faculties can't complain that BYU is bigoted.

Apparently ghawd is not immune to social justice, no matter now
'immoral' it is.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 05, 2020 09:26PM

THX-1138 "Conditioned" By Android Cops For Sexual Perversion In "THX-1138" (1971)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=nkQAhpLBok8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2020 09:27PM by anybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.