Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 07:03PM

Unironically.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/03/03/lds-apostle-tells-byu/?fbclid=IwAR3EGI3VTc7h4UZnti3il2nQQk_ZZxCkd41n2Nv71CPh9oRel9jCWMUh45c

The divides, he said, can include political parties, religious affiliations, race and gender. But students should remember, Ballard cautioned, that they are all inhabitants of the world and that unites them.

“Of all the universities in the world,” he added, “BYU should be where Jesus’ teachings and commandments are proclaimed and discussed and lived.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 07:50PM

I'm sure the generation that resides at BYU is hypersensitive about racism already. But no, I don't think jesus thinks higher of the Mormons because they think they are the one and only true church.

BYU is conducted opposite of what jesus taught.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 08:19PM

swear warning

He's a pig. I've hated him since I was a missionary. He was the big GA prick over the missionary department when I served. I hadn't been in the field for more than two weeks when we had to see a special missionary broadcast. I thought to myself, "how cool to be called to a Jesus rockin' mission that's doing so well!"

I couldn't have been more wrong. No, he read off a list of poor performing missions. Mine was one of five. It was all about guilt and shame for wasting the lord's resources. We had the one of the highest misuse of funds due to car crashes/damages, use of utilities and over-all missionary disobedience.

It set my mission off on the wrong foot and led the mission president threatening to cut off air conditioning permanently. Do you know how hot Texas really gets?

I never have forgiven Ballard. He's forever a special asshole in my book.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2020 08:21PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 09, 2020 02:19AM

Ballard can be quite bossy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 08:26PM

Ballard also quoted civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., saying those on campus should “not be judged by the color of their skin.”

Isn't this the giant theme of the BoM?

Nephites remaining white and delightsome in righteousness and casting judgment against the loathsome wicked Lamanites because of their curse of dark skin.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 10:00PM

This may all be true about Ballard but I think Haight was worse. He was the one before Ballard came in 2001 and raised the bar or whatever, Height was the one in charge when I went out. The trouble with Height is he couldn't care less about missionary work, he came up with no new plans, no ideas, never visited any mission to my knowledge, just used recycled shit from Kimbal and it was like 40 years later, for crying out loud. At least Ballard pretended like he actually gave a damn. He through out those miserable 6 discussions we use to have to recite at every stinkin door.

Posted by: Deb's son ( )
Date: March 08, 2020 02:41PM

Wasn't Ballard previously a car salesman?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 09, 2020 02:24AM

Yup and his management style is the same as a dealership sales manager.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 09, 2020 11:08AM

Bait and switch......…..

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 08:46PM

Of course Mormons would actually need to be told to avoid discrimination and racism. Is it 2020 or not?

Truthfully though, what they want is the appearance of not being racist or discriminatory. Just be sure it doesn't make the news kids.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 03, 2020 09:49PM

He sure doesn't see the irony, does he? As Messygoop says, the giant theme of the BoM is a people being judged by the color of their skin. And as Done & Done says above, it's weird that they have to be instructed not to be racist, and it's all about the mere appearance of being racist, and nothing more. You don't want to mess up the brand.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 04, 2020 01:48PM

He can start by ditching required Book of Mormon classes at the Lord's university...or at least allowing professors to critically examine how racism is central to the book in every way.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: March 06, 2020 11:32AM

What a f***ing hypocrite. The recent fiasco at BYU aside, I remember Ballard telling church member to donate as much money and time as they could to the Prop 8 mess. What a prick.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 06, 2020 11:50AM

LDS Church—We are not racist or homophobic.

BYU Boner—I can read all the details on the Internet.

DALLIN OAKS—We are the church and we don’t apologize.

BYU Boner-For the whole world to see— https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=2122123&itype=CMSID

LDS Church—Do as we say, not what we do.

The unapologetic Boner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2020 11:53AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: March 07, 2020 02:14AM

I find it fascinating that they are always ready to counsel the wayward yet they are incapable of acknowledging where the wayward got their ideas from in the first place.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 07, 2020 03:47AM

Exactly. And the church is also unwilling to guarantee that what are wayward ideas today will still be wayward ideas tomorrow. The believer is to check her conscience, and her memory, at the door.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 07, 2020 04:34PM

Avoid racism?
OK, so avoid the BoM, since it is racist because the old white supremacists, like you, running this racist CULT refuse to redact the blatantly racist, white supremacist passages in it, when they have edited it 4,000 times before, for far less serious reasons?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: March 08, 2020 07:47PM

I'm sure this is all part of a grand plan to go along with the Church's whole re-branding.

Next year, the FP will quietly authorize the printing and distribution of a "new" edition of the Book of Mormon, and require that members turn in their old copies and quads. This "new" book will have all the racist passages removed, which means it will be ~300 pages long instead of 500.

Some members will balk, "Why did you take so much out?" General Conference April 2021, Holland will get up and talk about the murmuring of formerly-strong members, who are unable to accept that the Book of Mormon is the keystone of their religion and badmouth their priesthood leaders.

Meanwhile, the Church's media department will scrub any reference to the priesthood ban from all church materials and archives (no one will have noticed that this section was removed from the D&C along with the Book of Mormon reboot). 10 years from now, the freshman class entering BYU will have absolutely no knowledge that it ever happened, and will decry any references to it as anti-Mormon propaganda. Brigham Young didn't have a racist bone in his body, they will believe. Young's reputation will have been similarly revamped by the Church, with the next edition of his Journal of Discourses significantly truncated by removal of all racist passages and language.

And thus the circle of gaslighting will continue with the Church's next PR disaster.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.