Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 11, 2020 10:40PM

NBA cancelled for the season due to coronavirus. Yow!

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-11/nba-suspends-season-indefinitely-over-coronavirus-pandemic

So let's get the story straight: The Q12 had a major revelation and led the world in cancelling a major meet-up. Oh - wait... (they weren't the first ones). But still, at last they saw the light. It's the right thing to do, just letting time go by and minimizing possible wildfire spread of the virus.

On another note, two major supermarkets in my area were sold out of TP today. Another that has been sold out for three days - vast reams of empty space - suddenly is restocked today and the price has tripled.

Now that is price gouging in the midst of a pandemic. Not nice. I will not pay 3x the price. Until I get more desperate that is, maybe. Now I realize I should have stocked up, a bit, the last 14x I went shopping and bypassed the TP aisle so I could lead by example in not panicking (slaps head).

Re the NBA: I don't watch BB much but wow - this is huge. Losing a season? Right when a Canadian team is the defending champion? Wah. And a big fat blank in the sports history books.

Re travel restrictions: I heard a bureau chief (journalist) being interviewed who has become stuck in Italy due to a total clamp-down of exit from that country, without warning. That's a scary part - no notice. That's why it's good to prep for at least a week to have emergency supplies and to stay home in the first place if you can. Of course, journalists are out after stories and not likely to be the ones staying home. He said he was going to go stir-crazy getting trapped in his apartment for weeks. Here's hoping he has a few good books to read to help pass the time.

Re the most important thing in all this: All best wishes to those most seriously affected, the ill, the quarantined, the anxious, and families who have lost loved ones. To hear that more may be lost due to lack of medical supplies is utterly heartbreaking. Put yourself in that place, if it was your elderly loved ones. Oooh, so sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 10:41PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: March 11, 2020 11:27PM

GC won’t be the same without the crowd energy. If they can’t feed off of that energy, speeches might be dry and boring.

Date: March 11, 2020 11:29PM

Might be? :)

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 11, 2020 11:58PM

Maybe they can find a taped "chuckle track" for their lame attempts at jokes and funny stories.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 09:49AM

Shinehah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe they can find a taped "chuckle track" for
> their lame attempts at jokes and funny stories.

I'm counting on it.

They will undoubtedly play it for the speakers so they can be amused at their own chuckles.

Date: March 11, 2020 11:36PM

Oh, it's because a player has tested positive.

Good thing they stopped the game. He would have been in close contact with two entire teams, the coaches and possibly fans.

Wow. Getting serious out there people.

Date: March 12, 2020 12:23AM

The affected player apparently wasn't in the game. Also he is presumed positive. To yet be verified.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 11, 2020 11:50PM

A TBM Facebook friend living in Utah just posted that her son will finally head for his mission in Ecuador today. Yay!

Why oh why is LDS Inc. still sending 18 year olds off during this pandemic? They'll make adjustments to keep people from gathering for general conference but still send kids around the globe. WTF is wrong with them?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 12:29AM

heartbroken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why oh why is LDS Inc. still sending 18 year olds
> off during this pandemic? They'll make adjustments
> to keep people from gathering for general
> conference but still send kids around the globe.
> WTF is wrong with them?

I can't believe they would do that!

They have no idea which of the missionaries might have been exposed to the virus, and sending teenagers into unsuspecting areas, areas who have no protections in place, or adequate and appropriate medical equipment and knowledge, can be lethal to the receiving population.

[Remember the stories we were told about the smallpox blankets given to Native Americans during the frontier years in American history?]

Given that we know what we now know, if the virus is carried from here, into those areas, it amounts to intentional manslaughter (at the very least).

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 12:16AM

A couple of months ago, Rusty was telling the church to be ready for spring conference, because it's going to be dope. It's going to be the most amazing, mind blowing conference of all time to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the First Vision.

"Surely the Lord God will do nothing, except he revealth his secrets unto His servants the prophets".

Is it God, is it his prophets? Who can only see two weeks into the future (like the rest of humanity)? Something doesn't add up.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 01:40AM

If someone was ('actually', no offense) charging 3X for a normal stock product, pls contact the state attorney general, his/her job to Quash that BS!

Date: March 12, 2020 01:50AM

Thanks. I'm in Canada. But I'm going to ask the manager tomorrow. It's not right.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 09:42AM

My "husband" and boyfriend have more than I do, so I don't have to worry about that after talking to my husband.

Well, Rusty is getting his super duper conference, just not the one he thought he'd get. I can't believe they'd send out missionaries either. If my child was going to be a missionary right now, I'd FORCE them to stay home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 09:49AM by cl2.

Date: March 12, 2020 02:19PM

Agree re the missionaries. Very short-sighted to send them out at this point. Maybe they could still start their missions but do it online, like many universities and now businesses are doing.

Primarily, of course, out of concern for their health. But also, some of the travel bans come out of the blue without much, if any, notice (such as apparently happened in Italy - even some journalists, for example, got stuck inside the lock-down zone as they didn't get much/any notice of the impending shut-down). So if missionaries were sent to a foreign destination and then got caught up in such a zone and couldn't get out even if the situation on the ground there deteriorated, that would be very bad all the way around.

You'd think they'd want to suspend foreign missions immediately out of an abundance of caution.

Although experts say that younger people usually get only mild cases and/or seem to recover well, why take a chance with the missionaries' health? Although we know they do that on a regular basis. Look how many posters here have told of contracting serious illness on their missions (meningitis in South America springs to mind with more than a few exmo RMs).

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 02:50PM

They should have written it up for the D&C:

"Behold, thus saith the Lord unto mine servant Rusty. In as much as ye have inquired of me concerning the coronavirus, I speak unto you mightily, yea, even with the voice of rushing waters. After the space of a few days, I have heard the cries of mine elect, and behold, I do give you some counsel concerning this matter.

Yea, even as many as do now suffer yet more may. Therefore, I do command my servant Rusty to shut down this boring General Conference of my saints. For behold, it is not meet that my servant Dallin should warn yet again about the dangers of pitying and embracing those who are different from him. For behold, he just hasn't read the New Testament yet. The cancellation of the conference will give him time to do so.

For behold, as I have instructed you, my Servant Rusty, to lop an hour off of weekly church services, I do also desire to have fewer extra meetings where nothing of consequence is discussed.

I do speak now, for behold, it is expedient and wisdom in me that I do so. For what I have spoken hath a shelf life of about two minutes in my time until I do speak again and completely change my mind. Thus saith thy Lord and God...for now....Jehovah, Michael--get me a beer!"

Posted by: odd thinker ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 04:17PM

Let's the Prophet off the Hook with his super Charged Conference that was going to be a flop. How Come with all that Priesthood and G's they are not protected plus they follow the W of W they shall run and not be wear and shall walk and not be,.....etc

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 08:12PM

? will they present a way for members to electronically 'sustain' the leaders???

dicey, that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.