Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 04:06PM

Wow. I'm glued to the COVID-19 updates. It's getting hard to keep track.

Headline: Pandemic changing life indefinitely.

MLB postponing opening for 2 weeks.

NHL suspended (wah!!).

US Supreme Court building closing "until further notice".

Ohio's governor just announced that all schools will close.

Broadway closing some shows.

Stars testing positive (i.e.: Hanks family).

A second Utah Jazz player tests positive (the first positive test shut down the NBA for the season).

I thought worst case we'd have to plan Life Interrupted for a couple of weeks, three at the outside. But now the descriptor is "indefinite". I will never scorn "panic buyers" again, although still it's good to plan, not panic, and to stay rational about it. However, I do regret passing up last week's sale on TP merely to make the point that I'm not panicking. It does start to feel that things are a *little* out of control now though. Certainly less within our own control than usual.

Here in Canada, our Prime Minister is self-isolating after his wife developed "flu" symptoms following a trip to the UK. An attendee at a major conference in Vancouver, B.C. tests positive. Major community events cancelled. Retired doctors asked to come back to work.

7 new cases in B.C. today.

I don't remember any event in my lifetime that affected so many people, events and institutions. Definitely a time we need to pull together.

Just a quick update. Fast-moving worldwide historic event. Whew!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 04:23PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 04:25PM

Reasonably well-sourced rumours here in France are talking of it peaking in mid-May. Which is a long time.

Date: March 12, 2020 05:28PM

You take care over there in sunny France, our friend.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 04:55PM

About the most I hear in Idaho is that there are no cases reported though several people have been tested. I am trying to limit outside activity and avoiding watching news broadcasts that seem to be all doom and gloom. I am not checking my IRA either. It is enough problem just to accept that it is tanking big time and if the 2008 recession is anything to go by it will be a long time coming back.

Date: March 12, 2020 05:29PM

I'm glad you got home from overseas OK.

It is getting a bit gloomy, for sure.

Too bad about the economic impact. Big ouchie for so many.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 05:09PM

No Toronto Raptors :(
No Toronto Maple Leafs :(
No Corona beer ??? That's ok, my city makes Labatts
They better not close Starbucks !!

Date: March 12, 2020 05:33PM

All those sticky spigots and wipe cloths that don't get washed too well or too often. And mixed-sticky spoons standing around in used containers. :/

Here in Canada our national pride (so they tell us) Tim Hortons has ceased its "Roll up the Rim to Win" ongoing contest due to not wanting staff to handle spit-soaked used cups.

I was somewhat germ-conscious before. Now moving into germ-phobic stage. Likely for life. :/

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 05:52PM

I play advanced badminton through the city's recreation activities, and last night when I played I refused to shake hands, or fist tap.

After every game we usually shake our partners hand and the 2 opponents. Approximately 36 handshakes a night.

The Leafs are 3 points ahead of the Panthers for the 3rd playoff spot in the Atlantic Division, so the pressure has been mounting as of late...

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 05:32PM

at least until the end of the month.

Date: March 12, 2020 05:33PM

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 06:13PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 06:18PM

All Maryland public schools are closed as of Monday for at least two weeks. The governor of Maryland is taking aggressive action, and I thoroughly approve.

I went to Wal-Mart today. There has been a sea change from last week. Shelves of toilet paper, paper towels, and disinfectant are wiped out. Workers bring new supplies in, and just leave them on pallets where they are quickly snatched up. But what is new is that foods that are shelf-stable (pastas, soups, canned vegetables, etc.) are pretty much wiped out as well. I ended up "following the herd" and buying somewhat more than I had intended. I will do one additional shop tomorrow, then will hunker down as much as possible.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 08:20PM

New Mexico schools are closed for three weeks. As our daughter had been working out of a temp agency as a substitute, she is out of work for the immediate future.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 14, 2020 12:32AM

I'm sorry to hear that, Catnip. I did substitute teaching for two years before I became a full-time teacher. If I didn't work, I didn't get paid, and I had to scramble for summer employment.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 06:33PM

Not having to look at Justin Trudeau for however long is good thing....JMHO

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 07:15PM

LOL. Said like a true Albertan.

Date: March 12, 2020 09:48PM

Yup...proud one too.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 11:13PM

Well, in comparison, Justin Trudeau is at least a lot better to look at.

Date: March 12, 2020 11:31PM

Our dear friend in assisted living is now on lockdown. They let her go out and get her pills yesterday but that is it. I wish she would have told me and I would have gotten her damn pills. We have been holding off for the last 2 weeks taking her dog food (we have both had colds)
and I was going to do her other shopping but she did it while she was getting her pills. We can't and SHOULDN'T go in so she will put her cart outside the door and we will load then she can take it upstairs. I am taking her extra TP too :)

I am very glad they locked everyone down and she says they are constantly cleaning.

Date: March 12, 2020 11:48PM

This just in...Sophie Trudeau. wife of the Canadian PM has tested positive for Covid-19. She just got back from a trip to London where she was probably infected. Wishing her well.

Date: March 13, 2020 12:17AM

She is better to look at too.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 10:14PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here in Canada, our Prime Minister is
> self-isolating after his wife developed "flu"
> symptoms following a trip to the UK. An attendee
> at a major conference in Vancouver, B.C. tests
> positive. Major community events cancelled.
> Retired doctors asked to come back to work.

According to what I just read ("skimmed" might be a more accurate word), Trudeau's wife has now been diagnosed with coronavirus (evidently, just a short while ago).

My best wishes go out to her--and to everyone else in Canada who is finding themselves caught up in all of this.

Stay safe, Nightingale!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 10:15PM by Tevai.

Date: March 12, 2020 10:25PM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nightingale Wrote:

> According to what I just read ("skimmed" might be
> a more accurate word), Trudeau's wife has now been
> diagnosed with coronavirus (evidently, just a
> short while ago).

Oh no. Too bad. She is young & healthy so perhaps will bounce back quickly. She just returned from UK. Maybe bad news for fellow travellers. So much for the UK being exempt from some travel bans.

> Stay safe, Nightingale!!

Thanks Tevai. Trying. Right now in a very crowded Walmart. Out of TP here too. Sheesh.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 10:27PM

<<Related to COVID-19, beginning immediately, all public gatherings of Church members are temporarily suspended worldwide until further notice.

<<Bishops should counsel with their stake president to determine how to make the sacrament available to members at least once a month.

<<Temporary suspension of public gatherings include:
Stake conferences, leadership conferences and other large gatherings

<<All public worship services, including sacrament meetings
Branch, ward and stake activities
Where possible, essential leadership meetings should take place via technology. Questions may be referred to local priesthood leaders. Further direction related to other matters will be provided.>>

https://www.facebook.com/groups/churchofjesuschristnewsroom/permalink/649892199098859/?__xts__[0]=68.ARDu9h1tOCphfQUpRTZTUBpTeVOwGh6mAWaCV8RUGMQN5w_nJA0lQYkDrXHbKptwae3NB5H-G5yJwz1rDbfUwsBB-J37jzcgCRoLe4FXHNyBeKHMfpa1--hAIsU853XIqW-SfMIDxLsGfhe-znZCC8njr_sJoVaf-oj5DN3XHoXQ8WiBGlyESocqSVe3rmu9XmFaFuiuV3whck-bIXibuIIaHkRXZq3JsRQ1hDyAV4ysh5F9ZxMIe7ffAb5tSq8vftLKBWyaGo-dVlWjI7p20F21pIXxLZCxuHcwWCgseZtVEiQZnLocRh1SMU4d5DbmevCfdRR3yAycTA&__tn__=kCH-R

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 10:52PM

Remember that “I will find you” scene from Taken? That’s me when I found out about Tom Hanks getting infected. It’s personal now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.