Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 12:18PM

This new YouTube video https://youtu.be/Klg4aj7C5vk which talks about the signs before the Second Coming of Christ is making its rounds with church members. The most fascinating part to me is the 1983 Vaughn J Featherstone letter about the second coming of Christ prediction which can be found here https://catalog.churchofjesuschrist.org/assets?id=3438179d-a8c0-499d-a2cc-82d6a239cef7&crate=0&index=0 Vaughn J Featherstone was a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy from 1976 to 2001, he died in 2018. The letter he dated April 6th 1983 was buried at the dedication of the Atlanta Temple to be opened 50 years later which would be in 2033. His prediction is that the Second Coming of Christ will have occurred by 2033, the video supports this prediction with lots of other details.

The author of the video thinks the big news at the coming General Conference will be about the Second Coming. What are some thoughts on the subject?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 01:15PM by scotchipman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 12:30PM

Some thoughts on this subject?

Uh, my mind just went blank. Don't even know what to say to this nonsense.

But I'll try . . .

I guess when 2033 gets here and the letter is read then they will announce that Featherstone was speaking as a man. Just like Joseph when he said the second coming would be in 50 years making it 1883 or something like that.

It is wise to predict a date that is for sure after you die to avoid egg on face.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 12:39PM

The thought I have about this is that humans never seem to learn. They keep doing the same dumb things over and over.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 12:48PM

I assume the middle initial J stands for Nostradamus.

He was in the Presiding Bishopric, then released and made a Seventy, which IMHO is a demotion to back-bencher.

Alvin R Dyer was another back bencher with an avid underground following because of his crackpot theories on race.

This all belongs on the same shelf as the Dream Mine, Denver Snuffer, and Lori Daybell

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 12:56PM

I can't remember what I've read on fb or elsewhere. Are we all just waiting now for it to end? Maybe it will up and end in a poof on the first day of conference or the last one when Rusty gives his last talk on Sunday afternoon. I wonder who is expecting this.

They really blew it in Y2K. I sure could have used the end to happen then.

I wonder if Rusty is shaking in his shoes wondering.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 07:42PM

The Internet runs on Unix/Linux, which will have its own Y2K in 2038 when the 32-bit epoch (seconds since Jan 1, 1970) rolls over.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 08:29PM

I'm setting a Google calendar alarm!! I'll be a spry, but forgetful, 93 year old.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 01:14PM

One thing that the current crop of leaders seemed to have learned from the past is to not make any specific predictions. That’s not to say that they won’t make some vague statements to frighten the sheep about the second coming being soon, but they won’t say anything that will tie them down.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 08:36PM

The guys on top know that it's never going to happen. They know it's better to keep it vague, that way members get worked up, but they are never held accountable for anything they say.

But if OP, or anyone else thinks they really believe it, they are duped. Maybe 40 years ago some of them did, but not any more. They aren't that dumb.

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 07:13PM

I can't stand listening to folks speaking in church tones like I used to hear in SS, etc.

One comment piqued my interest so I found a link to a chapter of Julie Rowe's book "A Greater Tomorrow" about tent cities, places of refuge, and cities of light.

Oh brother! That was a trip down the rabbit hole!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 11:39AM

Isn't there supposed to be stuff that happens before that ? A temple in Jerusalem? Although, I guess they could dedicate the Jerusalem center pretty quick and say that one is done.

I guess I have forgotten what is supposed to happen at the second coming. Is that when our dead relatives are supposedly going to come up out of their graves? Or is that later on? It is so hard to keep up with all the predictions...er...revelations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2020 11:39AM by gemini.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.