Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 11:25AM

Our daughter is home from her mission in Argentina, released from her missionary work and awaiting reassignment or return to Argentina.

Last night at dinner she stopped my wife and I from eating saying we had forgotten to say a prayer over our food. So she rectified the situation by praying in Spanish over our food. I didn't say "Amen." She got upset and told me I had to say "Amen." I said "Namaste." It didn't please her.

I then told her that I'm grateful for our food (from our stockpile) and for life and her safe return. I told her that I'm grateful for many things and I don't have to say "Amen" to agree with her gratitude.

Strange times but good ones. I put my hair in a ponytail for the first time yesterday because I was working on my laptop on the deck and it was windy. Both my wife and daughter didn't like it. Oh, well, at least my wife likes my long hair.

Life goes on. I'm a part of Mormonism yet in my own little non-believer agnostic world. I just can't make the metaphysical logic leap of faith to tie what I don't know about in the way of something greater than my epistemological understanding of ontology to higher purposes and causalities in my current understanding of my existence.

It just is. Another day. Another experience. Amen to that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 11:57AM

start being "more mormon" now? I'm sure conference is going to be fun.

I was thinking I'm sure it is great to have your daughter home, but the mormonism issues can get irritating and then I thought of my daughter when she is home. She prays over the food. I say amen. She talks about what the leaders have said about certain things and I just ignore her. I just decided it isn't worth it as my therapist told me my daughter will continue to do this and I can let it get to me or choose not to. She knows how I feel.

They should show us respect as I know I've earned and I know you have. We don't have to be an exact replica of them.

Date: April 02, 2020 11:58AM

It is just so nice to have our daughters around!!! Mine is in a hotel in Fairbanks shelter in place. It is a nice hotel, owned by Princess Cruises. She is still being paid and doing some work. I miss her a lot, but then don't really wish she was home because I think she is safer in Alaska than here.

Date: April 02, 2020 12:13PM

WOW! Yeah, she is. I'm glad you don't have to say amen! ;)

Date: April 02, 2020 12:15PM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They should show us respect as I know I've earned

I can't tell if it is being young, Mormon or both. Growing up they weren't respectful to us as much as we thought they should be. Now they are more respectful as adults except to me regarding Mormonism. I'm to respect that but they don't have to respect me with regards to it. But as you saw in the Amen, I push back.

Date: April 02, 2020 12:48PM

immediately upon graduating from high school. Then we did better after she moved out until she found mormonism. She still does things to disrespect me and I've been trying to just ignore them. My therapist told me this is "Kiara." He thinks she does it to get me to react. She thinks I treat her brother better than her. I just worry about him more and she does, too, so my therapist told me to try to not react to her as she is testing me and doesn't even know it. It seems to have helped a lot. But she does things that still hurt and I've decided it will be a lifelong thing. Mothers and daughters sometimes have issues.

I think we have to push back sometimes so they know we are allowed to be OURSELVES. I posted that my daughter said the other day that the thing she is most afraid of is that not having church every week might make her go inactive. I never would have thought that when I was mormon. I still see that she isn't as devout as she wants to believe she is.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 05:23PM

I love that you said Namaste instead. I’m totally using that and I can’t wait.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 07:16PM

I'm totally using that too!,

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 05:48PM

I had three sons out on missions, with two of them at the same time. Two were international and one in California. We didn't worry too much while they were away but it was sure nice to have them back.

Each of them (even the two who no longer go to church) went through a month long deprogrmming upon return. Things like watching TV om Sunday was a big deal. Going to the market on Sunday was like going to buy drugs from your mistress.

They would pray without much cause about everything.

A lot of those early conversations felt like interviews. When I asked them to tell me about their experiences they sounded like they were giving a talk.

One month.

Once they got it out of their system things returned to normal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 06:06PM by Lowpriest.

Date: April 02, 2020 06:32PM

There is hope.

Date: April 02, 2020 06:33PM

When my brother visited at my parents house he used to insist we have prayers before meals, I guess he felt justified as the only priesthood holder there after my dad died, even though only he and his wife are members. I was so annoyed I just left and told them to do it without me. More tricky when it’s your children though which is why my parents probably tolerated it even though they were never mormon. I think what is clear to me though is that no one has the right to tell another person they have to pray. It’s a double standard because they wouldn’t tolerate us telling them they can’t pray. I don’t know how mormons fail to notice simple logic.

Date: April 02, 2020 06:41PM

Third of Five Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don’t know how
> mormons fail to notice simple logic.

I do. Might makes right. Strength in numbers. The most common denominator rules the roost.

Date: April 02, 2020 07:11PM

Ah I see, good point. Perhaps mormons do not think about fairness and logic because they’ve never needed to.

Date: April 03, 2020 11:31AM

Mormonism is all about authority, hierarchy, and high acting moralistic behaviors. My Mormons are more sensitive to others given they weren't raised around many Mormons and their father/husband hasn't believed most of our lives together.

But even with that, the belief that their righteousness requires many things to be subsumed by it is strong. But only when they want it to. They can relax on say a swear word, an off colored joke, being highly critical of others out of personal annoyances given their religious idea of being more enlightened than others.

My wife is one of the most tolerant and loving Mormons I've known. She doesn't wear her Mormonism much at all. But my family in Utah wears it like temple clothing. Utah is a terrible place for the authority, hierarchy, and high acting moralistic behaviors of Mormons. I had to get out of there.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 09:24PM

I’d chalk it up to still being in missionary mode. I noticed my kids came home and were not themselves for a couple of weeks. Hopefully your daughter will relax a bit.

The long hair sounds like a keeper, Elder!

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 09:28PM

Its crazy how they respond when you don't do what they tried to program you to do like say amen everytime. You're rebeling against the programming and i salute you for that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.