Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:12PM

Our daughter is a nurse and will be working the frontline this weekend.
She told us awhile ago, that in these next two weeks, they are expecting a big surge in COVID19 patients.
We're very worried for her, trying not to show it, but it makes me feel so angry because I feel like this coming impact is partially because of the relatives of the missionaries at the airport, as well as at their houses.
An example of this happened last week, when our SIL's sister had a homecoming gathering at their house because their son returned early from his mission.
Our daughter and SIL did a "drive by" welcome, but everybody else was getting out of their cars and hugging him (out on their front lawn) and a lot of people going inside for dinner.
When will idiots, Mormon or not, get it through their thick heads, that this a horrible plague and they need to take it seriously?!
Sorry for the anger, but I needed to vent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:18PM

Glad to see the anger. There can’t be enough of it.

My heart and best wishes go out to your daughter, who’ll serve the selfish and the unselfish, the foolish and the wise, the imbeciles and the brains, equally.

(Maybe at the end of this Americans will finally get M4A.)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:28PM

I know several healthcare workers up at the UofU. They are all walking around with a knot in their stomachs. It is relatively calm, though tense, but they are waiting for the shoe to drop any day now.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:30PM

I guess if you’re in Utah it’s understandable you would already feel that way. I know I’d be furious at this utter stupidity especially when your own daughter is doing the exact opposite and working to help the situation.
However I think the surge is predicted to happen everywhere; if she were a nurse anywhere else it would likely be the same. I’m a student nurse working on the frontline in England and we’ve been told the same thing. Almost no mormons here thankfully. Perhaps it will be worse in Utah due to all the hugging and flagrant violation of the law, but it will be those mormons who are more likely to get sick.
One of the worst things about this situation for me is my relatives (some of them mormon) constantly worrying about me, I understand but it just doesn’t help when I have so much to deal with already. So I think it’s the right thing to decide not show it too much. Just continue to be supportive. Just to put your mind at rest, I possibly have a mild case of the virus now, and I’m self isolating, but I don’t feel that bad. Several colleagues have also (probably) had it and they have returned to work afterwards.
It is a very worrying time and I hope this doesn’t come across as invalidating your feelings. Whenever I’m on this site I feel like it would be so great for exmormons if they could just leave Utah. I don’t know how you cope with it all.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:44PM

But the One True Church is special. Its members have immunity because they pay tithing and know the secret handshakes. Jesus will protect them, you’ll see. They will prove you wrong this time.

I wouldn’t worry until Native Americans start giving you blankets.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:46PM

Yeah, blankets and flour¡

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:45PM

I don't think mormons will care until they are dying from the virus and even then i still don't think they will care because they will be heading to the CK finally to tryout their handshake thing and password thing to get in.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:54PM

I understand your frustration. I am seeing a mixed response in my own community. Some get it and some notably don't. A couple of days ago one of my neighbors was starting to walk up to me to hand me his contact info. And I had to ask him nicely to keep his distance. He lives with his elderly mother, who works at Home Depot as a cashier. She comes into close contact with dozens and dozens of people each working day. No, thanks.

For a number of people, they really won't get it until the hospitalization and deaths of people they know start to mount up.

I'm grateful for the service of your daughter and all of her medical colleagues.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 05:31PM

My Jack Mo step dad had to tell his TBM family to stay home, especially the ones in Utah, not to visit for his birthday last week. He and my mom do get how serious this is, as they don't go anywhere unless it's for necessary grocery shopping or for medicine.

Otherwise, they would have made the drive with their entire families, especially his youngest who along with her husband, flew across country to visit her in-laws who are serving a couple's mission on the east coast. Fortunately, they didn't stay long, and on the flight back, they were pretty much the only ones on the plane apart from the crew. What especially pissed me off is that not only doe she have at least one underlying health condition, but her youngest child isn't even a year old at this point. I don't think she'll ever get how serious this is, and that her magic underwear isn't going to protect her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.