Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 02:48PM

I wonder if it was really a shout back in Joseph's day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 06:04PM

Yes.

When he was done doing his heavenly duty to a new wife, JoJu would get out a white hankie and gallantly wipe off the excess hosannah.

JoJu was all about spreading his hosannah.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 06:07PM

Yup. She got hosed.

Posted by: Valued ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 06:06PM

I was sent a video of a member of my family doing the the Hosanna Shout waving white scarfs...etc... Underwhelming? That was some crazy cult stuff. , “Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna to God and the Lamb,” repeated three times, followed by “Amen, Amen, and Amen.”

In the video there were 18 in the room at their house. No social distancing. It is OK to have church like that with Grandma and Grandpa. Just think each of those family units go to their in-laws as unit and then on down the line. How many can spread germs just by joining in a “Mormon Family” Gathering?

People do not think...

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 06:25PM

No, in Smith's day it was Hosanna Stout. They made really good beer. But then the Word of Wisdom came along and ruined everything.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 07:06PM

I think the jubilation was real. Those were different times. It could be that every movement has its time. Maybe helped along by a little fiber. The Rastafarians once got stoned enough to believe that the king of Ethiopia was the second coming of Christ. That guy died, which killed the buzz a bit but what does it matter. Maybe all of that was so Bob Marley could bring his beautiful music to the world. There’s a natural mystic blowing through the world. Same old story that never gets old.

Joseph’s story got old through mismanagement, but maybe it was supposed to. It’s like the ending of Ferris Buehler. What, you’re still here?

Leave the theater and throw away your ticket stubs. Or loiter in the parking lot.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 07:24PM

Yea, the ones I've joined in, in temple dedications, have been more like a hossahha mumble. It was like a chant, executed with ZERO enthusiasm, the men's voices drowning out the women's voices, in a low rumble of despair. The last one, Mom forgot a fresh handkerchief, but happened to have two in her purse. That was many years ago. How antiquated--no one uses handkerchiefs anymore. The hankie Mom loaned to me to use had lipstick stains on it.

Posted by: Brazilian Susan ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:30PM

I just showed the Hosanna Scream by Nelson to my nevermo boyfriend.

His reaction: "No emotions! No life! They should work on it..."

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:38PM

When I was a kid they kept the crazy stuff locked up in the temple out of sight. Now they are bringing it out into the open.

Next conference they will do a big prayer circle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.