Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 08, 2020 09:43PM

The Spiral Jetty and Gilgal Gardens with its Joseph Smith sphinx are the iconic art pieces that encapsulate Utah weirdness, in a good way. I think that concrete tree halfway out to Wendover out to qualify too.

In any case, Happy 50th, S.J.!

https://www.deseret.com/entertainment/2020/4/7/21207816/spiral-jetty-50-robert-smithson-nancy-holt-anniversary-dia-umfa-great-salt-lake-landmarks-utah

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 08, 2020 09:52PM

I love the tree. No other state has anything as goofy.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 08, 2020 10:33PM

I was fascinated to learn that smithson's wife, Nancy Holt, did the Sun Tubes in one of my favorite Utah spots: Lucin

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 02:11AM

Very cool.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 07:23PM

On the current Google Earth image it's high and dry.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 01:44AM

It is high and dry now, but started out surrounded by water, and was completely submerged twice in the last 50 years. It does not appear likely that the lake level will rise enough to submerge it again any time soon, between the increasing population using water, and a drier climate.

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 04:10PM

I've only been to the Sun Tunnels once. That's a long drive from the Wasatch Front.

Been to SJ at least a dozen times over the last sixteen years. Most of the time, it's been high and dry but the lake was high enough in 2011 that I kayaked right up to the outer edge after launching near the old oil jetty. The water was knee deep just outside the outer arms.

In 2012, DW and I made a Christmas card picture with us standing near Spiral Jetty. As the sun set, the reflection made for one of the prettiest scenes because SJ was completely surrounded by water yet it wasn't covered. Just four months earlier (August 2012), it was nearly submerged with only an outline of rocks visible above the lake.

GSL has been a meaningful part of my life since I left TSCC. It's where I often go to feel centered, connected, & present.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.