Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:36AM

I'm rummagging through the archive.org, and came to an old video with Hinckley in it.
He's licking his lips all the time, like a lizard. Eeew.

https://archive.org/details/TheVistaGroup-RareMormonVHSGordonBHinckleyManofIntegrity15thPresidentoftheChurch

BTW, in the same archive, you can read the feminist Sonia Johnson's "From Housewife to Heretic".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 12:00PM

Yes he was!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:42PM

He was one very nasty dude. I met him when he visited our Stake. He was second-in-command at that time.

I was a teacher in the Beehive group at that time, and I loved the girls I taught. They had worked together to create a beautiful card for him, to celebrate his visit. It had a combination of imagery from Mormonism, as well as imagery unique to New Mexico. It took more than one revision to get it just right, and my girls put their hearts into it.

I handed it to Himself at a dinner (prepared by the members, of course). I got there a few minutes late because I came directly from work (so I wasn't wearing a dress, either.) His security goons started to approach me.

Friends at one of the tables saw me and beckoned me over, clearing a place for me, so clearly, I was known and welcome, and the goons stood down. I had the precious card with me.

There was a sort of receiving line after supper, to meet Himself. I presented the card, explained that I worked in the Beehives, and that "my girls" had gone to a lot of work to make this card for him.

Without even glancing at the card, he tossed it onto a nearby table, and said, "I'm sure the Prophet will like it." I protested, "But sir, the girls made it for YOU!" He looked a bit put out, and drawled, "Well, I'll give it to him anyway."

I don't recall if either of us said anything after that, or if I just moved along. I was so royally pissed off that he didn't express one bit of appreciation for the card that my girls had put so much work into.

I have never forgiven him for that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:52PM

Kindness isn't on their menu, ask me I know.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 07:13PM

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 01:09PM

and it's such an excruciating effort for them to say that they do.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 14, 2020 08:00PM

Jesus. Kind of sounds like my experience with bednar. Yours actually sounds like a worse situation. Bednar wouldn't shake my hand or my friends hand because he was already in his car. His protective goon stopped us as well and i just said my friend really wanted to shake bednars hand and the guy said it was too late bednar had already got in the car. What a arrogant and robotic tool i thought of bednar that day. A true leader would have shaken the hand of a follower or member IMO.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:56PM

Reptilian

Date: April 14, 2020 08:01PM

All people in leadership positions are reptilian, duh. Haha

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:24PM

I suppose that all the pandering the church leaders receive, they become rather indifferent to the average kindness of the masses, such as your wonderful little girls' offered them.

In my opinion, such leaders have lost their touch with those they judge as being less than themselves.

A pity, because Jesus taught us to notice the humble people of the world we live in, not the "important" or "titled"--who are often not humble or worthy enough to receive such gifts of the heart.

Date: April 06, 2020 03:51PM

I'm GLAD I never met him (or any other "leaders") face to face. Poor people that have to work with them.

Date: April 14, 2020 08:03PM

You are lucky. Scott actually shook my hand and didn't seem that bad. This was in the late 90's before it seemed insanely corporate as it is now.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 04:47PM

I couldn’t stand him, even before he was caught lying on national TV.
His granddaughter was dying from cancer and he wouldn’t even call her to show any compassion. She excused him, saying that he was so busy.
I loathed his lying little beady eyes.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 07:54PM

One of the things that bugged me initially when I was a TBM (but of course repressed in the back of my mind) was that when attending a temple dedication he started cracking jokes. Like, when he was actually dedicating the temple, right before. Everyone thought it was lovely and wasn’t he sweet and funny. But I just felt it was weird, and he looked like he really couldn’t give a s***
I didn’t find out about the lying on tv thing until later. Via the internet of course, and not via the church. It was one of the validating points that defined my conclusion.
One thing I repressed quite heavily from early on in my conversion (brainwashing) was this horrible creepy feeling the church presidency photo gave me. They just didn’t genuinely look like nice guys (Hinckley, Monson and Faust). Monson especially gave me the creeps. I didn’t admit it to myself fully but it’s what I thought straight away the first time I saw it as a non member and it never went away.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 01:01PM

In their exalted position, they tend to lack awareness of how they appear to the reg'lar folks.

And the Kimball-Tanner-Romney picture was far, far worse. It looked like three imprisoned criminals trying to act proud of their twentieth failed escape attempt.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 09:12PM

as they sare they look EVIL

Third of Five Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the things that bugged me initially when I
> was a TBM (but of course repressed in the back of
> my mind) was that when attending a temple
> dedication he started cracking jokes. Like, when
> he was actually dedicating the temple, right
> before. Everyone thought it was lovely and
> wasn’t he sweet and funny. But I just felt it
> was weird, and he looked like he really couldn’t
> give a s***
> I didn’t find out about the lying on tv thing
> until later. Via the internet of course, and not
> via the church. It was one of the validating
> points that defined my conclusion.
> One thing I repressed quite heavily from early on
> in my conversion (brainwashing) was this horrible
> creepy feeling the church presidency photo gave
> me. They just didn’t genuinely look like nice
> guys (Hinckley, Monson and Faust). Monson
> especially gave me the creeps. I didn’t admit it
> to myself fully but it’s what I thought straight
> away the first time I saw it as a non member and
> it never went away.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 08:38PM

I don't have the stomach to watch the whole thing, but, yeah, the tongue thing is disgusting.

He was only 40 something! He looked 80 already.

BTW, he was STINKY. ;)

Posted by: Odd thinker ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 11:31PM

When I was stationed in Naples Italy. GBH Came to Rome we all went to meet him. I thought I would be in the presence of a Man of God. I Walked up to him and extended my hand. He took my hand and shook it when I looked in his eye a feeling of death came with that look. I have never been able to forget that feeling. That was the beginning of me leaving the Church. It was such evil feeling.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 12:43AM

Thanks for sharing.

The old adage is true: never meet your heros. Of course, some people truly aren't heros.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 12:54AM

there's more to being 'church broke' than meets the eye...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 01:36PM

I'm just curious if they picked it up from one of those modern business school's public speaking courses.

My other thought was that tongue licking was reinforced from the Dale Carnegie's course on How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 04:58PM

I read the Dale Carnegie book & I'm certain lizard-tongue behavior was not in there.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 02:08PM

Body-language experts say that tongue-licking or any other exposure of the tongue is essentially the same as a child sticking out his tongue at you. It is a marker of distain against you.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 08, 2020 10:24AM

I’ve also read this is a sign of anxiety or a subconscious desire thing - probably why this is so creepy when an old man does it.

Date: April 08, 2020 04:16PM

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 11:07PM

"When he is inspired by God, he speaks as a prophet, when inspired by Godzilla, he speaks as a lizard". Or words to that effect.

Posted by: SomeMillenial ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 09:05PM

Maybe as TBM you had to censure thoughts about his appearance but Gordon Hinckley looked like a lizard in heat.

After watching him talk, it actually was the beginning of the end for me and got me switching to Geico.

I mean at least the gecko had more class and had me paying 15% less.

Posted by: Willruff ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 06:02PM

When GBH was responsible for east and se asia for the church and the Vietnam war was raging, missionaries were fearful that when released they would be called to the military to serve in Vietnam. In an attempt to qualm their fears, he told us that this war was opening up Vietnam to the church and going to Vietnam would be continuing their service for the Lord.

After the collapse of South Vietnam to the Viet Cong and Ho Chi Minh, I read in Dialogue an article by the Vietnamese man who had been branch president of the Saigon branch. The escape and abuse of the members to try and reach safety was terrible. Today, the LDS church has a small presence in Vietnam - through humanitarian activities. So LBH's prophecy did come true - not by war, but by peaceful means.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: April 14, 2020 07:10PM

everyone talks in the style of warren jeffs in the video. I can't watch it anymore

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 14, 2020 07:28PM

Yikes! "Licking his lips" is an understatement.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.