Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 11:27AM

My husband is a retired cop, so house arrest has no appeal to him. Thus, every night after dark, he takes the unmarked Subaru, his most reliable backup (me), and his 12 year-old K-9 unit Pekingese. And we cruise his old beat ... with gloves and masks on.

Just makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 11:32AM by kathleen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 11:31AM

I actually think its badass to have to wear a medical mask in stores and no one thinks you are strange. I am a huge fan of the bane character in 'the dark night rises' so wearing a mask is pretty awesome to me.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 11:44AM

The Lone Ranger used to wear a mask as part of his public persona. They made him take it off because it’s illegal to wear a mask in public. But you probably won’t get busted.

Date: April 13, 2020 11:52AM

Now we can at least resemble a couple of cat burglars and be perfectly acceptable.

Date: April 13, 2020 02:39PM

Xactly.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 03:38PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Lone Ranger used to wear a mask as part of his
> public persona. They made him take it off because
> it’s illegal to wear a mask in public.

Clayton Moore, the actor who played "The Lone Ranger" on TV, became very wrapped up in his character. After the show ended, he continued to portray the character in costume, giving citizenship talks in schools, and so on. At some point, somebody acquired the rights to "the Lone Ranger," and he was forced to stop wearing the mask. He continued to exploit his role, but switched to large sunglasses.

Laws vary from state to state. In my state, masks are not illegal, but are an add-on felony when committed in conjunction of another crime. Thus, minor shoplifting (misdemeanor) can become a felony if masked.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 12:01PM

What an image. Our new "Safety Drag" has made undercover work so much easier to pull off.

He and Fifi can patrol my streets anytime. (No. That is not a euphemism for anything. Stop it!)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 01:37PM

"He and Fifi?" You are full of surprises, D&D.

Date: April 13, 2020 02:42PM

Imagine a guy like me wearing a mask, everyone thinks i am going to rob them probably where ever i go.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 12:30PM

traffic. Traffic is too much in Cache Valley and it is nothing like CA. Yesterday, it was about empty. CV used to be like it is on Sunday everyday when I first moved here.

I am a home body, BUT I have to get out. Well, some days I could probably just shelter in place, but my dogs don't think so. I've walked them almost every day since I got them 4-1/2 years ago as someone told me that they wouldn't have to have their "nails" trimmed. ha ha ha What a joke. It was the lady who was grooming them who told me that. It doesn't work, but they love their walks and I'm a "pleaser." They are patiently waiting as of right now. But we are allowed to walk dogs here.

Date: April 13, 2020 12:37PM

There is almost no traffic here. However, the CHP has given out over 500 tickets in the last month of guys speeding over a hundred miles an hour on the freeway. Many bad accidents.

I see them all the time. 80% are white BMWs (by my estimation). That means something but I won't way what. Three or four cars at a time racing weaving like they are making macrame pot hangers.

The lower traffic is making the police chases of perps in stolen cars a little safer. And, the thieves don't even wear masks. Watched two last night for a minute.

Crime. It's what's for dinner !

Humans!

Date: April 13, 2020 03:01PM

I am a home body but i am finding myself becoming an extravert since the pandemic. Its just too weird when everyone is forced to be a recluse like me. Its like i am living a twilight zone episode but every day. I have to get out and work everyday. Delivery guys are allowed to be on the road full-time right now without any problems from cops for which i am grateful. There is an extravert within me for sure that is dying to get out anyways. I am not full introvert. First 13 years of life i was full extravert but religion and trauma made me into an introvert full-time.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 12:40PM

Still with the Mormon mindset of "rules don't apply to us because we are special".

You are putting others at risk with this behavior.

Get in a minor fender bender, have a flat and someone stops or comes by to see if they can help?

Stay in and quit making excuses.

Date: April 13, 2020 01:10PM

Why the assumption that a trained officer and his trusty side-kicks would act in an unsafe manner? Why is the only option you see for them to get in each other's faces without distance or masks?

As exmos we do tend to see more options than just one.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 02:11PM

You should live out your Mad Max fantasies.

Date: April 13, 2020 02:26PM

Haha. Mad Max! My fantasies are more along the line of La Cage Aux Folles.

Date: April 13, 2020 03:03PM

I am living my bane fantasies for sure. Mad max has crossed my mind though. Thinking of most valued possessions like oil and water.

Posted by: Lulu not logged in ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 02:01PM

I don't see a problem with it.

Date: April 13, 2020 02:08PM

Seriously?

Where I live the government encourages people to go out on walks together, to take rides together.

Date: April 13, 2020 04:31PM

All I can say is, the people who promulgate this stuff make more money than I do, so they must be right!

Date: April 13, 2020 05:30PM

I see people being really responsible even without the signs, walking their dogs, taking their children for bike rides or sitting in their front yards--all the while maintaining the appropriate distance and usually wearing masks. There are times when responsible behavior and good manners emerge spontaneously from the chaos that is American culture.

What, pray tell, is a cultural Marxist to do?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 14, 2020 04:29PM

The same is mostly true here, including in the "cités" (Americans would probably say housing projects) just down the road. I live in one of the "départements" with the highest number of cases: Seine-Saint Denis. For me, even before that was the case, people here have been impressively disciplined, despite often difficult conditions of confinement - some of the apartments over here are tiny, particularly when you consider the number of people forced to live together. And our parks have all been closed for a month now...

Tom in lockdown in Montreuil ;-)

Date: April 13, 2020 12:40PM

Here's an Alfred Hitchcock-type start I came up with, but don't have a story to work with. He's free to use it:

Scene: a remote country crossroads. A gas station in one corer nothing else, except a deputy at the side, playing solitaire on his phone. Slow shift in a quiet county. A pickup blows the stop sign. He puts the cruiser in gear, turns on the light bar, stops the car.

Hello, Zeke.
Hiya Dave.
Slow down just a little at the cross roads, would you?
Yeah, sorry about that. How's Millie?
A month to go. Baby seems healthy.
Great, good luck with her.
Bye.
Bye.

Deputy goes back to playing solitaire. A Caddie cruises through the stop sign, doesn't slow, nothing. Deputy gets behind it with lightbar and siren on. Out of state plates.

The Caddie doesn't stop or slow down. Doesn't speed up and flee, just keeps going, no response. FINALLY slows a little, drifts to the side, drifts to a stop, no brake lights.

Deputy orders driver to throw his keys out the window and show his hands. No response. Driver remains uncommunicative. Deputy draws his firearm, carefully approaches. No response to further commands.

Driver just sits there, doesn't turn around or anything. Deputy opens the driver's door. The driver's belly and lap are blood-soaked. He falls out, dead.

Kathleen, read that to your hubby and see if you can put a story with that! I have others...How about "Murder At the Grand Opera"?

Date: April 13, 2020 12:58PM

Caffeind, I sense a real Stephen King bent to you. I'm liking it !

Oh, the guy in the Caddie wasn't a real case for you, was it?

Date: April 13, 2020 01:21PM

I was a grunt cop, one-man patrol vehicle. Involved in very few homicides but plenty of natural-death calls, most routine, some strange, a few exotic. But I like mentally playing with a situation and seeing dramatic possibilities in it.

My novel is cross-genre, involving coming-of-age, religious conflict, a criminal subplot, curses and blessings, conflicting spiritualities, and some elements of the Romance template. It's also subtly Gothic.

If you're interested in reading it (set in Utah), send me contact info at this temporary address:

dixidik321@officemalaga.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 01:22PM by caffiend.

Date: April 13, 2020 01:42PM

Thank you. Yes, I'd love to read it. :)

Date: April 13, 2020 03:05PM

The grunts are the strong ones in my opinion of society.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 14, 2020 04:32PM

May I contact you too? I'm interested - and you're an interesting person, caffiend ;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.