Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 09:49PM

How does one keep oneself at home when they need to make a living for themself and their families? This is really tough.

When polio was the serious endemic, one could--for the most part--just stay away from such places as public swimming pools.

The same for the 2 kinds of measles going around: Stay home until you were well again, as they were very contagious. (You even had to put a sigh on your door, warning others to stay away.)

So now, people who lived through the above illnesses, were able to keep living long enough to be vulnerable to this "modern" plague.
---

When I was about 18-19, a was living in an age where vaccines for viruses were not available, nor was penicillin.

I somehow "caught" jaundice, which was deadly (a boyfriend of mine died from it). But, fortunately, I had a Genius Jewish Dr. who ran a clinic for the poor. He took on my case, and his prescription for me--no medicine available for this problem at the time--was to stay in bed and drink only milk for three days, which was alright with me, as I had no apatite, and I had to consume regular doses of mustard (which made one 'toot' out a very terrible smell!).

After this, I was to stay on a no-salt diet for a year!

As you know, no-salt is very hard to do, as I found out, and the only thing I could find (excepting fruit) with no salt in it was kosher crackers.

After the year was up, I tried eating food with salt in it, and OH! how very very salty it appeared to me!

At any rate, I came out of the ordeal still alive, and as you know, to this day.

PS: A boy from church who I didn't know had a crush on me sent me a huge boquet of flowers. Where he got the money from, I'll never know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 11:31PM

I've never had jaundice, but kidney disease runs rampant in my family (four generations that I know of, and two more that I suspect.)

Because my father had renal disease, my mother and grandmother (Grandma did most of the cooking) developed a very low-sodium diet for Dad, and that's what I grew up with. I never liked movie popcorn, because of the excessively salty butter and extra salt. There are some pizzas I can't tolerate, for the same reason.

I'm not supposed to eat red meat (we eat one prime rib dinner per year, on our anniversary) and I don't care for seafood, so I eat a LOT of chicken (fortunately, I like it.)

I imagine that it's easier for me to deal with a low-sodium diet because that's what I grew up with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.