Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggein ( )
Date: April 18, 2020 10:16AM

Am I mistaken here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 18, 2020 11:37AM

there could be two separate tracks on things like this, it's what MoLeaders fear the most.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 18, 2020 05:49PM

That would be golden for me. Ha ha ha...

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 18, 2020 05:52PM

Soon bishops will have to wear vestments.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 18, 2020 06:39PM

From investments to just vestments, how the mighty are fallen.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 18, 2020 07:47PM

A sacrament is a general term for a religious act of spiritual efficacy. In most Protestant traditions, there are two sacraments: Baptism and the Lord's Supper. In Catholicism, there is Baptism, plus the Eucharist, plus Confirmation, Matrimony, (receiving of) Holy Orders, Penance, and Supreme Unction (last rites).

Specifically, "Communion" is the act of receiving, or partaking, or SHARING of the Eucharistic elements. It's also a reference to denomination or fellowship. Example: I might attend a Catholic mass, but would not take their Eucharist, as "I am not of their communion."

My take is that changing the nomenclature here is another step towards mainstreaming. "Communion" is a generic term for the Lord's Supper, common to all Christian (or Christian-appearing) groups. It would allow an LDS member to invite a (real) Christian to church "for communion." Cults like to use common words to mislead, when they know their definition/usage/understanding is actually different.

My answer would be, "No thank you--I am not of your communion."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 01:07AM

Things have come 180 since I first became active in high school in the 1960's. We were supposed to celebrate the differences between us and Christians. We were supposed to cheerfully say, "No! We're not Christians, we're MORmons!" We were openly and sometimes even cheerfully racist (my FIL once used the N-word at the pulpit). We would happily tell people that, no, it's not "communion," it's "sacrament." "Ministering" was a completely foreign word. But we were never, ever, to identify with other Christians, because they were all part of Satan's plan, to derail humanity with false religions and untrue claims. It was even taught in the temple that ministers of other religions were stooges of Satan. Now we're all playing nicely with other Christians, trying to somehow get their guard down so that we can spring Mormonism on them. We will baptise absolutely anyone nowadays, because the legendary "golden family" is long gone. We take the mentally ill, the under-educated with ridiculous notions and conspiracies, the poor and lonely, the undocumented aliens,... In short, anyone. Do we want these people who suck so much of our time and funds away with our cajoling and fetching with our cars to get them out to church, etc.? No. But we need the numbers. Metrics are absolutely everything; retention is absolutely nothing.

Sorry to ramble. Yet I speak the truth. From elder's quorum presidencies, to high priest groups, to branch presidencies, to stake high councils, and the lot, I've pretty much seen and been party to all of it. So, as an older person, I just want to bear witness of it. This is not our Mormon church. It is a different Mormon church. Best I can tell is that, whereas before, Mormons were proud racists, today they depend on African countries to beef up the numbers, and hence, blacks couldn't be more important to Mormons (even though they are somewhat secretly still racist).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2020 01:07AM by cludgie.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 01:33AM

Amen, Bro. Cludgie.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 02:31AM

And that is why the church cannot excommunicate Ammon Bundy. There are people in the church your age and younger, even much younger, who either directly or through the family and community tradition, remember those days and the confidence Mormonism then inspired. Those people resent "mainstreaming" because it represents a repudiation of the genuine Mormonism and are on the verge of leaving already.

So the church is caught between the hard right, if I can describe them that way, and the much more liberal teenagers and young adults on the other end of the spectrum who think the church fusty and a little bit silly. People are defecting on both sides and the Q15 is stuck in the middle, unable to move one way or the other.

Then cometh COVID-19, which proves that the prophets have lost their stones (in more ways than one) and cannot see a thing; are incapable of healing a stubbed toe; and are tossed to and fro by a mere virus. I have to believe this fecklessness will hurt the already paralyzed church quite a bit. I mean, how much has staying home on Sunday really cost anyone?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 02:43AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I mean, how much has staying
> home on Sunday really cost anyone?...

...besides being encouraged to study and read as a family?

I'd like to hear reports "from the field" about alternate/online church activities. Somebody mentioned that missionaries were taking communion to people's homes. Leaving aside the issue of health & hygiene, that's a little something.

But aside from online and broadcast of GC, is the church doing anything--at the COB level? Stake? Wards?

I hear reports of other churches using Facebook Live, Zoom, TV, radio and other programs to set up some semblance of church activity. Even in China, Christians are using Zoom (and being arrested for it).

What about tCoJCoLdS? Anything?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 05:31PM

Mm. I'm listening, but I'm not hearing. My guess is, the leaders are kind of hand-wringing as they indecisively decide what to do next.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 06:47AM

Has there indeed been a change in terminology (officially, or even unofficially) that anyone can document?

Current links from official church site:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bd/communion?lang=eng

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/sacrament

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 06:40PM

So, there is no more ‘sacrament’ meeting. What’s it called now? ‘Mass’?

Posted by: shut-in ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 08:34PM

just trying to do a little mainstreaming hoping no one will notice. it will never work. will never be able to get rid of the cult thing that everyone knows about.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 09:08PM

Relax everyone; the OP is mistaken--it's still called "sacrament" and "sacrament meeting."

Rusty can't get away with changing this one as easily as he has everything else, since D&C 59 says to meet on Sunday and "offer...sacraments unto the Most High" and Moroni 9 specifically references communion as "the sacrament of Christ."

At least, until they quietly stop printing the D&C and Book of Mormon and, ten years from now, profess ignorance when asked about them.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 10:10PM

I think that since members are now ministering, they should get proper credentials. There are several sites on line that offer free licenses. You can also buy the white collar to put around your neck too. I am wondering if according to the income tax laws I can claim expenses as a minister since that is what the church is now calling me.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 10:15PM

If they are only talking to other mormons, it's still sacrament.
If they are talking to the general public/other christians, they may refer to it as communion.

See the following links:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/04/17/lds-church-issues/

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/responding-to-covid-19-answers-to-questions

The first link is directed at the general public and contains this:
"The sacrament, or Communion, for instance, usually takes place weekly in worship services."

The second, which is intnded for internal use, says:
"Administering the Sacrament

May priesthood holders administer the sacrament in the homes of other ward members who do not have a worthy priest or Melchizedek Priesthood holder in the home?

Generally, yes. Currently, government directives or local regulations restrict this practice in many nations and cities. Until further notice, in these places, priesthood holders should not enter homes of Church members to whom they are not related to administer the sacrament. During this time, members can be blessed by studying the sacrament prayers and recommitting to live the covenants members have made and praying for the day they will receive it in person, properly administered by the priesthood."

The first refers to communion and worship services because they want to sound more like other chritian churches. Several years ago, the local ward sent out a letter for members to invite non-member friends to a "special Easter service" which would include "language more familiar to other faiths". They are trying to sound more mainstream.

In the second case, that isn't necessary since it was only intended for members (and mainly just for leaders).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.