Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 18, 2020 11:23PM

Probably a no-brainer to us, but it's really nice to hear from my Mom that the church is losing control over its members. Sure, the church is not going away, but this pandemic is making the church and its lack of leadership look pretty pathetic.

According to my Mom, her local leaders aren't even checking on members (is a phone call too much to expect?) during this time of crisis.

Most certainly, some members are going to figure out that the church is useless and a drain on their happiness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 12:06AM

? what happened to 'ministering' ???

Date: April 19, 2020 12:44AM

I don't have to tell you that members lie. What gets me is that during a TR interview, a question that should be asked is how do you receive those ministering to you.

I think it's shameful that people just lie about it.

She has complained about not receiving visits from a high priest, but she doesn't know who the assigned sister is either.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 01:12AM

They are under intense pressure to lie. It’s like when your wife asks if so and so is a better cook than her, does some other woman look pretty, or does this dress make her look fat.

They know the bishop has no qualifications for the job and is basically untrained. You’d be crazy not to lie to a quack therapist.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 06:34AM

Ha! Ministering is about as successful as home teaching was.

Posted by: shut-in ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 08:38PM

? what happened to 'ministering' ???

are you kidding? remember when it was first announced? most didn't even know what the word meant let alone how they were going to do it.

noting happened to ministering......ministering didn't happen!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 11:13PM

People who work for free in the church probably are bummed by the fact that they're never going to get a raise. In fact, if you do a good to great job, you not only don't get a raise, you get more work to do.

It takes a special kind of person to be satisfied with JUST a title and growing responsibilities.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 11:55PM

But if people work for the church for free, the church should be able and willing to grant them annual raises of 100%. It's a win/win situation.

I know you would take that deal!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2020 11:55PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: April 20, 2020 01:21AM

Yup. Ministering is too vague. At least with home teaching there was a specific outline to what was needed to be done. Oh well. Or on fun and games.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 04:57AM

Unfortunately, the church has been more about peacocking your devotion, obedience and knowledge about the scriptures ( or rather how well you echo the current leadership's interpretation of the scriptures).

If there is no one to see you peacock, then what is the point?

Date: April 19, 2020 06:30AM

That and it’s also a church of process. I’m not a fan of organized religion. I might be Samuel Clemens reincarnated Ha! Ha! A lot of people like the mechanics of the church. The music, the ordinances, the callings.

I always viewed the church needed the ordinances and priesthood’s to justify it’s existence. I never believed in any of it. I liked the cute girls in the church. That’s what made it tolerable for me.

Date: April 19, 2020 06:21AM

Ha! I know a few members who aren’t liking President Nelson telling them to be good global citizens. One said President Benson is rolling in his grave.

Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 12:26PM

How much control can the leaders of any religion have over an empty building?.
When I see the empty plazas in front of the famous Italian cathedrals I am wondering how long before people realize that without their participation and money the church will fall?
To me it proves that religion is all made up.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 12:32PM

make sure the elderly and ill are checked up on. I know my parents, even when it wasn't Coronavirus, were never checked up on. My mother actually put a note in the tithing envelope saying something about it. Never got a reaction to it. My mother was 100% active until they both just got too sick to go as they got older.

I can say the mormon friends of my brother are still watching out for him. He has some really good friends. I wish I had friends like him. He is 54 and these are friends he has had since his childhood.

As far as ministering, I think it is a greater fail than VT and HT. Although when it first started, they didn't MISS ME. I had to request they stop coming. I'm RESIGNED.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2020 12:32PM by cl2.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 02:40PM

I agree that this situation of COVID 19 is really showing the LDS church in a very bad light. My daughter who is still a mbr is beginning to see behind the curtain. My other children have left the church. The one time the "ministering" brethren came over, right before the stay at home order, they left saying if you need anything....So 3 weeks ago my daughter was laid off. In the state I am in people, including my daughter(who is with me), have not been able to get through to get benefits. She called the ministering people-no response. She texted-no response.
Now contrast that with the Salvation Army which I am a member. Every week there are at least 3 updates for everyone as to what is going on. Also services are streamed. The women's group is done through skype so all can participate. I have been called at least 1x a week. They provided my daughter's car payment. They asked if my other children were ok because they could call those areas in their states and get them assistance. No questions, no strings, they do not even have to believe in God.
My daughter is experiencing and witnessing the contrast and I can see it is painful for her that a church she has given all to is just smoke and mirrors. I am glad she is with me so I can be there and help her through this.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 03:02PM

That is the silver lining to this very dark cloud.

And your daughter is fortunate to have you.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 03:02PM

Viiictory win fight to win! Viiictory we fight for fun!

How do you like my new victory song.

Victory dance coming soon.

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 03:40PM

The Church does not give... it only takes, takes, takes

My bedridden mother passed away a year ago.. she was tbm all her life. In the end no one but a neighbor showed any interest in her...
Just before her death the Bishop came and rang the door bell. My exmo-ish brother answered and the bishop said he was there to see if my mother would like to renew her temple recommend.
. My brother told him to not return. These people know no boundries.

Mormon 8:32
In the last days churches shall rise up and for your money they will offer you salvation.
( of course mormons do not think this applies to them)

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 05:31PM

They will take until you no longer know who you are or what your name is. Literally.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 05:52PM

“In the last days churches shall rise up”

I like how Joseph used the BoM to tell the saints exactly how he was going to screw them.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 19, 2020 04:31PM

which is a good thing.
Somethings that are good about a global pandemic,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/artist-kadir-nelson-after-the-storm/

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 20, 2020 01:21PM

Actually I think this thing will be a good thing for the church. No matter what is said people will realize the shortcomings when it comes to caring

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 20, 2020 01:26PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to my Mom, her local leaders aren't even
> checking on members (is a phone call too much to
> expect?) during this time of crisis.

LOL! What you are describing is a "local problem." And they have a way to spin this as prophetic and good leadership - Rusty implemented a "social distancing" version of "Home Teaching" long before the virus. Isn't it wonderful?

Posted by: odd thinker ( )
Date: April 20, 2020 01:35PM

The Church got its 100 billion and the top 12 got theirs suckers!!!

Posted by: Oregon ( )
Date: April 20, 2020 10:55PM

My brother who is on disability - massive heart condition, Vietnam vet, RM, is relying on the food bank. Church has restrictions and conditions in getting any help. sickening after all he has done.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 21, 2020 02:49AM

Bear with me, please. I didn't get any responses, so I will try this one more time.

I've noticed that other churches are using the internet to provide some sort of religious service: Facebook Live, Zoom, Mixlr, etc. Some churches have met in cars in parking lots (which has been controversial) Christians in China have used Zoom--and been arrested.

You can attend an AA meeting on Zoom.

Has tCoJCoLdS done anything, at any level (ward to COB) to provide alternate spiritual services or activities? All I've heard so far are:

--the GC was broadcast
--missionaires have gone to homes to deliver sacrament (now called "communion?")
--members are told to stay home and read their scriptures more.

Anything else that tCoJCoLdS is doing--especially electronically?

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 21, 2020 04:48AM

I don't think so; I'm in close association with several active Mormons and have heard nothing to indicate any movement towards alternatives.

(This subject deserves its own thread. If I were you I'd start one. I think it would generate more interest on its own than as a subthread.)

Date: April 21, 2020 10:09AM

Here's your answer.

My Mom has and uses a tablet that my wife and I gifted her. She is struggling with the steep learning curve as technology really intimidates her.

So last Sunday, a sibling lent her his/her i-phone and there was an activation code that allowed her to watch some kind of zoom or video conference. Apparently, the entire ward led by the bishop was participating. My Mom didn't know how to actively speak or interact, but she closely watched the online meeting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.