Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 05:27PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/04/23/many-latter-day-saints/

The MORmON leaders in UT have one set of "rules" for UT MORmONs and another, completely contrary rules for the rest of the universe outside of the Beehive State.
MORmONs outside of UT can meet via video conference, while MORmONs inside UT have been banned from virtual meetings. So not only are they banned from gathering in person, they are banned from attending any kind of gathering, including weekly video conferencing meetings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 05:33PM

Mormons just can't get anything right can they?

Since they're banned from having sacrament meetings on Zoom, they should just have Happy Hour. That's what my wife and her gal pals do every friday at 5:00 now....plenty of spirits to enjoy too.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 11:28PM

I read the article and the church makes no sense as to why the Utah area church is forbidding the use of virtual meetings.

This is fairly bizarre coming from an organization which can dictate policy forward and backward.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 24, 2020 12:51PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read the article and the church makes no sense
> as to why the Utah area church is forbidding the
> use of virtual meetings.
>
> This is fairly bizarre coming from an organization
> which can dictate policy forward and backward.

It's a control thing.
If they let UT MORmONs meet via Zoom Conf, then who knows what'll be next....they could just quit coming to church once the Stay At Home orders are lifted, then money would quit flowing in by the billions, then TSCC would have to tap into their $100B reserves earmarked for Jesus Welcome Home party, date yet to be determined....stay tuned.

Posted by: SomeMillenial ( )
Date: April 24, 2020 12:35AM

This makes perfect sense for an organization so impotent that a prophet, or a man sustained as such, cannot even get a single revelation about a small virus before a big exciting general conference and ends up talking to an empty room. Which he ends joking about as the sound of crickets overtakes his talk.

Then as its coup d'etat - holds a worldwide fast two times (including once on a catholic holiday) to stop or slow the virus but its death count triples and cases go 6x after the recorded dates of efforts are timestamped forever worldwide.

Can anyone translate DippShitz in the adamic language for me? (Having a little trouble with the conjugation)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 24, 2020 12:56PM

Will they get zoom bombed ?

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: April 24, 2020 02:26PM

This reminded me of my reaction when family members were posting on FB invites to watch general conference even for us non-members since we can't attend our own services.

My pastor started doing video services early in the pandemic, even before Idaho shut down.

I told my husband I definitely did not want to watch 10 hours of mormon drivel instead of our shortened 20-30 minute service.

My DIL and a nephew are in the tab choir so we would watch the choir sing and play "where's Waldo" trying to spot them. This year the choir was reruns so we didn't even watch for that.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 24, 2020 03:07PM

What ever they do is no hardship to me--I never watch conferences on TV (which used to be provided).

Even so, my dear friend (now my Rel.Soc.'Minister') just calls me to show she still loves me--which is reciprocated by me to her. We are good friends.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 26, 2020 01:00AM

"Vallejo planning commissioner throws cat during Zoom meeting, removal sought"

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 27, 2020 06:43PM

So maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I now realize that all mormons I have a connection to are posting pics of themselves and their families on Sundays and they're all dressed up, like in dresses for the women and white shirts and ties for the men and even little boys. To sit in their freakin living rooms!

Is this something they were told to do? WHY??? And I thought they were all doing virtual meetings, but I've been told that the family will actually do their own meetings--sing their own songs, give their own talks, etc. I can see them preparing their own sacrament, kinda hard to do that virtually. But what's up with the dressing up if you're not even zooming with anyone?

I have been following both churches I have a connection with, one Unitarian and one Episcopalian. In my pajamas, sometimes even nekkid in the bathtub. Dressing up for something in my house with no one else, or no one but family there would be the limits of how far I can push this stay at home thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.