Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 04:44PM

Here are the top 11 nations with the highest annual growth rate:

Montenegro, 56.5%.
Mozambique, 22.5%.
Angola, 19.0%.
Kazakhstan, 16.8%.
Benin, 16%.
Togo, 12.3%.
Cyprus, 12.2%.
Lesotho, 10.5%.
Tuvalu, 10.5%.
Luxembourg, 10.3%.
Congo, 10.1%.

What do they almost ALL have in common?

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/04/16/this-week-mormon-land/?fbclid=IwAR0qLLHJV8gPngrV5i_Wmg1IvXDPKXia6i7sz590vkUWHq9ZQE25rPeuBmM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 05:00PM

Growth rates of small numbers aren't that impressive. After all, going from one member to two is 100% growth. It's much harder to pull off with large numbers.

The numbers are suspect anyway since we know the church counts all those who've been baptized, and doesn't subtract those who no longer participate. So we should at least factor activity rates into the growth rates.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 05:12PM

I did a study once and here is a very condensed report of what I found
As the size of the population (numbers involved) grows.
The same percentage by volume decreases almost exponentially.
1 in 10 =10%
1 in 10,000 = .0001%
So reporting growth by percentage can be deceptive at best

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: April 20, 2020 12:23PM

1 in 10,000 is not .0001%
1 in 10,000 is .01%
Check it on your calculator if you don't believe . . .

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 05:14PM

I was going to say, 17% of the Kazakhstani population is like an arm and a foot. The church converted somebody's arm and foot.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 05:41PM

I'm sure the church is looking forward to all that tithing rolling in from their new converts. /s

Date: April 16, 2020 05:53PM

There's one ward and zero branches in Luxemborg, according to the church's statistics, and we all KNOW how much they overlinflate their numbers.

That'll justify a temple!

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/facts-and-statistics/country/luxembourg

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 06:18PM

Per cumorah.com, these were the membership numbers from 2018 for those countries.

Except for Mozambique and Congo, they are small to insignificant.

First number is 2018 membership, nunber in parentheses is membership after reported growth rate.

Montenegro, 23 (36)
Mozambique, 12,274 (15,036)
Angola, 2933 (3490)
Kazakhstan, 218 (255)
Benin, 3643 (4226)
Togo, 4736 (5318)
Cyprus, 452 (507)
Lesotho, 1179 (1303)
Tuvalu, 268 (296)
Luxembourg, 458 (505)
Congo, 57,714 (assuming it means DRC) (63,543)

Again, except for Mozambique and Congo, the actual numbers of new members are not very large.

Of course, how many of these are active is another question entirely.

Date: April 16, 2020 06:38PM

[|] Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Per cumorah.com, these were the membership numbers
> from 2018 for those countries.
>
> Except for Mozambique and Congo, they are small to
> insignificant.
>
> First number is 2018 membership, nunber in
> parentheses is membership after reported growth
> rate.
>
>
> Montenegro, 23 (36)
> Mozambique, 12,274 (15,036)
> Angola, 2933 (3490)
> Kazakhstan, 218 (255)
> Benin, 3643 (4226)
> Togo, 4736 (5318)
> Cyprus, 452 (507)
> Lesotho, 1179 (1303)
> Tuvalu, 268 (296)
> Luxembourg, 458 (505)
> Congo, 57,714 (assuming it means DRC) (63,543)
>
> Again, except for Mozambique and Congo, the actual
> numbers of new members are not very large.
>
> Of course, how many of these are active is another
> question entirely.

They're bragging about the top 10 producing countries, that produced 4,878 new converts, or less than 500 people per country on average.

in a year.

The largest gains, 2,762 tithe payers, is from a country with 29.5 million people. Meaning for every New Mormon, there are 10,680 Mozambiquens.
What are the odds!!!

0.00009% chance of a Mozambiquen getting sucked into the abusive, white supremacist CULT of Joseph's Myth!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 06:41PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 07:59PM

Yes.
This is published in a way to make it look like TSCC is experiencing explosive growth (look! we have over 10% growth!), but the actual numbers are rather pathetic.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 05:09PM

Cludgie, do these membership numbers and the fact that a temple was announced for the country square with your experience in DRC?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 27, 2020 05:43PM

Yeah, I think, although the church has a way of making it rosier than they are.

I recently saw a photograph of the new Kinshasa temple, which was built right next to the chapel we used to attend--which was built only a few meters from our apartment. (We still drove the small distance, because it is annoying and often dangerous to walk along Congolese roads.)

It's soooo easy to convert any Christian African. They love religion. In Mormonism, they love and appreciate the magical thinking. They would be the absolutely first people who would love temple garments and the magical marks. It would protect the men, for instance, of an enemy purchasing a fetish from a local shaman to shrink their penises, which is a real fear of Congolese men.

The real problem with all this is the usual retention. You talk to some Congolese stranger, invite him or her to church, witness his or her baptism, etc., but then some other religious person invites the same person to their church, and the process repeats itself. The retention is as bad as anywhere else. An added problem is that, while Mormon meetings are insufferably boring, the other nearby Christian churches incorporate music with guitars and drums, and--god forbid--dancing. The boredom drives some members away, but the LDS churches always have electricity, and during the meetings, every outlet in the whole building is charging a cell phone. It seems funny, but that alone keeps a lot of members attending.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 07:05PM

Well, I’m impressed. I hope Brigham Young’s descendants get called to Mozambique or the Congo.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 16, 2020 08:59PM

Why always the "MORmON"?

Come on: I don't think all LDS are Morons, and while we all have our faults, they aren't any more likely to all be morons, any more than you and me, and the others who contribute their thoughts on this site.

IMO, the title you like to use is like children who call each other insulting names to try and belittle them, while trying to prove themselves as automatically somehow superior.

Date: April 16, 2020 09:10PM

pollythinks Wrote:
> Why always the "MORmON"?
>
> Come on: I don't think all LDS are Morons, and
> while we all have our faults, they aren't any more
> likely to all be morons, any more than you and me,
> and the others who contribute their thoughts on
> this site.
>
> IMO, the title you like to use is like children
> who call each other insulting names to try and
> belittle them, while trying to prove themselves as
> automatically somehow superior.

I don't think all Mormons are morons. Which is why I spell it MORmON, with an 'm', not "Moron" without an 'm'.

It's just ExMormon speak.
I thought it was acceptable on this forum,

I don't think I'm superior to anybody, and certainly not some of the MOrmons I know, like I've said many times on this forum, two of my best friends are MOrmons, one from growing up and one from college. I get along great with both of them, although I get along with their kids even better, since their kids are not trapped in an abusive Doomday CULT, now that they're adults.

Now they know all about how abusive the CULT was to their parents, to victims of abuse, to blacks, to native americans, to women and to homosexuals.

Posted by: HeidiGWOTR (not signed in) ( )
Date: April 17, 2020 09:25PM

Yes, it is acceptable in this forum. Some people just have thinner skins than others.

Date: April 17, 2020 09:57PM

HeidiGWOTR (not signed in) Wrote:
> Yes, it is acceptable in this forum. Some people
> just have thinner skins than others.

I love how ExMo's come on an ExMo forum and try and shame ExMo's for being ExMos and making fun of the abusive CULT that exploited them and their friends and loved ones and 5 generations of MORmONs before them, in every possible way, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, financially and you want to defend the abusive CULT that did that to us to the tune of $100billion in stocks?
Obviously to ammass $100Billion in stocks you can't be an idiot. So they're evil. They pay victims of sexual abuse for their silence, a pittance in hush money, and they were sitting on $100Billion the whole time.
And you want me to hush?
Not in my lifetime.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: April 18, 2020 01:35PM

All those members in the DR Congo probably joined because, as was sung in the Broadway show 'Book or Mormon,' they all think that by joining they will be able to move to the US, to Salt Lake A-City where the huts are thatched in gold, there's a Red Cross on every corner and vitamin injections are available by the case.

All to be experienced after enjoying all the plentiful goat-meat.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 10:47AM

I baptized a Frenchman in France, who still saw the church as a stepping stone to getting to the US.

Tyson

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 20, 2020 01:31PM

In other words, a decent sized apartment building could hold all the members in a country.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.