Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Celestial Coffee ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 03:23AM

I don't discuss religion with my Mormon relations but I've been dying to ask them what they think of not going to church.

I have a suspicion that a lot of people are not going to come back to church once they realize how nice it is not to get up early to be lectured for the 2,000th time about the first vision or whatever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 12:19PM

I imagine that the flock will be so tired of social isolation that they will gladly seize the opportunity to socially engage in church activity once the opportunity presents itself, but they will quickly realize there must be something better.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 03:19PM

Well Endowed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...so tired of social isolation that they will gladly seize the
> opportunity to socially engage in church activity

The handful of times I attended Mormon meetings since walking away in the 1970s I was struck by how little socializing happens and how little opportunity is given. They tend to show up at the last moment and take off as fast as they can after the last amen. Because, you know, the other ward or wards need to squeeze in.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 03:57PM

I live with active Mormons, one a missionary in limbo waiting to be reassigned. No freaking out.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 05:51PM

I believe many are treating this as a vacation...only without being able to enjoy the recreation activity of their choice.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 05:56PM

I think a lot of members are going to find they love the less hectic lifestyle and adopt it permanently.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 06:27PM

I'm a TBM and the only thing I'm freaking about is the lack of caring about people in the Tuscaloosa third ward.BTW out here in the outer limits we use zoom for meetings unlike the lowly and backward people of Mormonia.

Date: April 29, 2020 06:34PM

PHIL, I'm sorry to say that the Tuscaloosa Third Ward is no more. Most all of the members lost their faith in god when the University of Alabama failed to win the NCAA football National Title this year. Several die hards, however, moved to Baton Rouge, LA.

Jacks French Fries are still and always will be the true french fries.

Date: April 29, 2020 06:40PM

Ahh another true follower of Jacks fries.Did you know Jacks has extended outside AL into TN?

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 30, 2020 03:15AM

And Dreamland is the one true BBQ!

Date: May 01, 2020 11:37AM

So true. I'm just today sending a bottle of Dreamland BBQ sauce up to my daughter in New England.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 06:37PM

The TBM's I know aren't freaking out, as it's the only thing they know as they've been in the Mormon bubble their entire lives. In fact, they're virtue signaling by posting pictures of their families in their Sunday clothes to have home church. It seems that the only way TBM's would wear face masks is if the top leaders said they had to, as in places that don't require them, most TBM's don't bother to wear them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2020 06:38PM by doyle18.

Date: April 29, 2020 06:50PM

That's right.I only follow the sheep herd . After all "The Thinking Has Been Done".Its good to see former members that have progressed past judging based on stereotypes.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 06:43PM

They may be going through not gathering withdrawals. My brain is a little confused why still no jesus after all this apocalyptic stuff is happening.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 06:49PM

I think i may have an unhealthy jesus obsession. The guy let me down if he exists.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 30, 2020 08:22AM

I think the youngest members are going to be the most affected~ loving no church and not freaking out. Unlike previous generations, I don't think they're overly brainwashed and indoctrinated. In fact many of them are in stark contrast over certain church positions like homosexuality and gender roles in the home.

I'm hoping that the shutdown will further erode if not collapse the church's missionary program.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 30, 2020 09:35AM

In general (I'm not a General, but I once bought General Tires), Mormons are the most anal-retentive people I've known, So I believe the answer is Yes.

But also, Mormons put on their clown faces when they come to church, so I'm sure many of them are noticing a great deal of difference in their attitudes / demeanors ...

just sayin'

Posted by: nettie ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 07:29PM

My niece said she feels so much more relaxed not going, but she does miss the socializing aspect.

Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 12:51PM

Some people even went camping!Entirely legal, but cold.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 08:10PM

My very TBM friend told me on FB today that she hasn't been to the ward since January and may never go back. Not because she doesn't believe, but she is terrified of getting sick.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 08:59PM

All the tbms I know are just fine with the church vacation. No one is complaining. It's freed up a lot of time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.