Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 02:52PM

I remember the good ol' days when the Mormon Marriotts ran the Hot Shoppes, open on Sunday in SLC, and ETB's reaction.

Word in our family was that my grandfather was concerned about eating out on the Sabbath, thereby causing people to work.

My family rationalized their Sunday patronizing of the Hot Shoppes because, the justification went, the restaurant employees were working that day anyway.

Well, OK.

Anyway, I remember eating there as a kid and nearly choking one night on a chicken bone. I excused myself from the table when no one would help me--in fact, I sensed some irritation from my adult handlers that I wasn't following the script. I didn't want to make a scene because we were taught to sit up straight and behave politely while eating in public, especially since my parents enjoyed getting compliments from strangers in restaurants about us well-behaved Benson children--we were supposed to be a light on a hill, or at least at the eat-out table. So, there I was sitting at the table like a good little kid, getting panicky but not wishing to make one of those dreaded "scenes" (all the while with my throat getting tighter and tighter and with it becoming increasingly difficult for me to breathe). I finally took my life into my own hands, got up from my chair and proceeded alone (and scared) to the restroom where a stranger comforted me as I eventually got the bone out of my windpipe.

Other than that, I remember their Sunday food as being pretty good.

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 03:43PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 02:55PM

My family is of no concern in the morg or world, but my parents also craved the acceptance of the world and their TBM peers. Gawd help the child that acted out in public.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 03:04PM

Details, man. I want details. Six brief paragraphs does not a Benson post make! (Six at the time of making this post, updated from four!)

On another note, whew, sure glad the chicken bone didn't get ya.

And man, can I relate to the sit up straight and keep quiet method of child-rearing. We grew up under the same injunction. I had a huge burn over my entire knee one time (from an exploding red-hot water bottle) but still had to go to school. The (un)enlightened gym teacher refused to allow me to skip the usual class jog several times around the playing field. Another kid ploughed into me during the circuit turn, ripping open the massive blister on my knee, even though it was bandaged, and a river of fluid flowed down my leg. EEYOOOOOWWWWWW. The authorities decided that was finally cause enough to allow me to miss the rest of the run and go home early that day, but I had to walk there myself.

I don't recall much tea and sympathy back home at all. It was just a grin and bear it mentality, no matter what ailed ya, literally. No crying expected, no missing school allowed, and any injuries were assumed to be self-inflicted. (Damn the British military approach - stiff upper lip always, no whining no matter what).

I guess it made me tough. Hey, I survived Mormonism didn't I? :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 03:05PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 05, 2011 05:46PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 03:34PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> especially since my
> parents enjoyed getting compliments from strangers
> in restaurants about us well-behaved Benson
> children--we were supposed to be a light on a
> hill,

My light went out, but that hasn't stopped my family from trying to rekindle my candle. That is why I have nothing to do with them. Human life shouldn't be so entangled and encapsulated by a set of metaphysical beliefs that they stop caring for their own as much as they care about their religious entanglements.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 03:46PM

When I was on my mission we had no kitchen or any kind of cooking facilities in our apartment so we were forced sometimes to eat at some kind of restaurant on sundays. We justified it with the following scripture:

And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn.
And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?
And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him?
How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: (Mark 2:23-27)

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 03:52PM

Around the age of 5, I fell from the swings and apparently broke my wrist. Dad was in the area playing softball, and too busy or oblivious to such things as children with broken limbs.

Some very kind (young to middle-aged as I recall) lady took to my plight. I remember her consoling me and stroking my wrist until dear old dad finished up his game.

For the rest of my life I've wished I could track her down and thank her.

That's all. This board frequently sends me on trips to my past.

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 02:06PM

You and me both. I used to have horrible seasonal allergies (I assure you, this is pertinent). My parents were big into the "your brother needs support more than you do" (that is a literal quote, FWIW), so I got dragged to one of his peewee baseball games -- which took place the same day they mowed the diamond.

My eyes swelled all the way shut and I had to be taken to the emergency room -- but not until after the Pwecious Boy (TM)'s ball game was over two hours later. :-(

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 03:55PM

When I glanced at the subject I thought for a moment it was about "Choking the chicken ". I was hoping for an inspirational story told by gramps about his little factory.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 04:57PM

I LOVE that rationalization! Rhetorical question: Did that mean that ANY business concern where the "employees were working [on Sunday] anyway" could receive your family's patronage on Sunday? ; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 05:10PM by Fetal Deity.

Date: April 05, 2011 05:04PM

I guess that means faithful Mormons can skip sacrament meeting and attend the games as a show of support for the Lord's specially-anointed servant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 05:07PM by steve benson.

Date: May 22, 2013 02:07PM

Isn't TSCC pissed with him for speaking out against Prop 8? (I think he's retired from football these days, anyway ...)

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 06:14PM

Through the spirit and gift of prophecy and stuff you would be a thorn in the path of the true church of God and were trying to avert all the problems you would cause later.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 06:41PM

High School. I loved it so much it was a downhill slide for me and mo'ism. Thanks Marriotts! Who would have guessed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 06:42PM by mav.

Posted by: Bella_Lilly ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 12:54PM

I am looking for an African American man by the name of Thomas Lee Wilson, he went by the name of Tommie. I think he should be in his mid 60's to mid 70's by now. He is either light or brown skinned, is short in stature and I was told he use to walk with a limp.

I know he worked for Hot Shoppes in PG county between the late 70's and early 80's.

I don't know if this post will bring any results -- BUT if you know a Thomas 'tommie' Lee Wilson and think that this post is reaching out to him PLEASE respond.

Any help would be appreciated.

Grateful for any leads --

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 07:17PM

We still have Sunday Blue laws in some NY towns and counties. No movies or stores allowed open before noon. No liquor sales on Sundays in some places. I'm surprised Utah isn't more strict.
I can vaguely remember no businesses were open on Sunday in a lot of areas. No, it wasn't that long ago in some places.

Can't imagine nobody trying to help you! How could they not understand the seriousness of the situation?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 07:26PM by verdacht.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 08:36PM

I always remember the kids with their arms crossed/folded. Every one! Too weird!!

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 09:22PM

Most enterprises were probibited from opening on Sunday in Ontario until the early 90s, and Nova Scotia finally permitted sunday shopping in 1996. I remember trying to buy gas on a Sunday evening was a dicey proposition in a lot of areas of Ontario right into the 1980s, so if you had to travel back to your home after a weekend away, make sure the vehicle was filled up early! And you could not buy a drink in Ontario on a Sunday unless you bought a full course meal so many bars sold those little packs of crackers and cheez-whiz and a little package of cookies of something similar to get around the law. You bought liquor in a lot of places through a wicket not unlike an old fashioned bank teller-self serve was unheard of....my how times have changed.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 01:22PM

She was as religious about it as going to church.

Methinks "the great and powerful" of Mormonism were/are of a like mind on this "tradition of their fathers?"

I wonder if these special witnesses are also special patrons on "The Lord's Appointed Day" to this day...

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 01:30PM

I remember telling my mom and Dad I was sick and didn't feel like going to church. Of course that didn't fly as you had to attend church meetings - it's a commandment. Anyway, I puked in my moms lap in Sacrament that evening (she had quickly emptied a box with her church stuff in it), only to be made to feel that I was the problem and how embarrassing it was to them for me to do that in Sacrament meeting. Sheesh! Where's my "I told you so."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 01:45PM

Most of the times Dad took us out for dinner, was on a Sunday. He was a TBM but also a realist who lived in the real world...not the fantasy planet so many Mormons inhabit and come up with stupid illogical contsructs to rationalize their stupid beliefs....

Ron Burr

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 02:02PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> My family rationalized their Sunday patronizing of
> the Hot Shoppes because, the justification went,
> the restaurant employees were working that day
> anyway.

What a coincidence. This is how I justify patronizing prostitutes.

Date: May 22, 2013 02:04PM

My parents converted when I was an adult, but it was still "woe be unto the less-than-perfect child."

I can still recite the lecture: "You will sit silently unless spoken to, with your hands folded in your lap, and behave like a little lady."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.