Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 06:23PM

Am I the ONLY male growing up Mormon that was told that if I was righteous & worthy I would receive a planet & multiple wives to populate said planet???

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 06:34PM

You get to be the god of bupkus. I'm gonna run my bupkus without a holy ghost. Or a Jesus. My sex life will be bupkus, too.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 07:46PM

WHAT?????????????

I want a REFUND!!!!!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 10:01PM

Is the doctrine of exaltation to godhood now being diluted with euphemisms? I'm thinking, for example, that the President-Prophet now has, what, a "personal testimony to the name of Jesus Christ?"

Date: May 02, 2020 10:32PM

just like they diluted the Honesty requirement for a TR in the TRIQ;

I'd LOVE to hear an official explanation for that, but of course that will Never Happen...

ChurchCo: everything's subject to change 'mainstreaming', with Russ it's been at a greatly accelerated pace, but 99.9% of mormons won't ever notice it;

If they do, they won't ask questions;

IF THEY ASK QUESTIONS, their faith & loyalty will be Immediately suspect & probably questioned in a demeaning fashion.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 10:38PM

I wasn't taught I'd RECEIVE a plant. The story was that we could become gods like Elohim and CREATE our own planets.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 10:50PM

Yep!

Get on the path to ghawdhood, graduate from BYU-Kolob and at some point you get your Bild-A-Planet Kit for beginner ghawds.

And as is evident from the Old Testament, you probably won't follow the instructions, either.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 10:53PM

Well Mr. Dunn, those ideas were subtly referred to in the past when I was coming up thru the system. It was the “meat” that was to be shared with those that showed that they could comfortably digest the “milk” of the Mormon gospel. It’s an interpretation of doctrines taught by Joseph Smith around the subjects touched on in the King Follett discourse. Lately the Leaders of the Church have been very coy about who they let teach this, or even refer to it, but it’s still the basis of their doctrine of “Eternal Progression”. The PR machine is all about mainstreaming, but the meat is still about Eternal Peocreation.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 10:56PM

Oops, I meant Procreation......forgot to proofread.

Date: May 05, 2020 09:50PM

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 11:01PM

I guess they must be running out of planets. It's like any other MLM. Those that get in early do the best. So those that got in to Mormonism early enough got their own universes. Then as god started running out of universes well... you at least get your own planet. At this rate, the Celestial kingdom will reach full occupancy before most people have a chance to get there. Of course, there's always the Terrestial kingdom as second prise. After that it's something like "look, both the Celestial kingdom and the Terrestial kingdom are completely full now. You can either take the Telestial kingdom or outer darkness, your choice". Eventually to fit-in with the rest of the churches, the plan of salvation will be reduced to just heaven or hell after judgement. It works for the Catholics and and besides, Nelson will do anything to get people to think that Mormonism is about Jesus and the 'heaven or hell' offering is an easier sell to mainstream Christians.

Date: May 02, 2020 11:03PM

OP nailed it; What's the point of being a god if you don't have a planet & people to (gently, maybe not) rule over?

<have they officially over-ruled this?> Remember:

'Doctrine' means teaching. if something is taught (in church, "officially", not disclaimed) it's doctrine.

That's why the question of 'What is officially ChurchCo doctrine?' will itself always be responded to (not answered) with ambiguity.

Remember: it was President-Prophet L. Snow who gave wrinkley that 'little couplet', it didn't appear from a cereal package or tagged on the wall of a church building!

just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2020 11:47PM by GNPE.

Date: May 02, 2020 11:54PM

"All those who are counted worthy to be exalted and to become Gods, even the sons of God, will go forth and have earths and worlds like those who framed this and millions on millions of others. Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 18:259, October 8, 1876

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 04:37PM

"I don't think we teach that."

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 11:11PM

Not A planet, but “worlds without number.”

If Elohim gets unlimited planets, we should too.

Date: May 03, 2020 05:22AM

Quoting another poster on this forum from a few years ago (forget the name): "if you join my church, I will give you the same exaltation that the mormons can give, and I only charge nine percent tithing".

Date: May 03, 2020 09:27AM

What's the point of being a god if all the interesting people are in lower kingdoms?

I want to be with the writers, artists, musicians, performers and such, not perfectly righteous Mormons.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2020 01:07PM

Eternal "Smoothie-Fest'!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 03, 2020 11:43AM

Why would any woman want to be a mormon?

Now, that is one of the reasons they should change mormon teachings as far as women. I've never felt the need to want the priesthood, but if there were going to be a CK, then I don't want to share a man with a bunch of other women.

I've said it before, but not for a while, I'd rather stay with my gay "husband" and share him with a bunch of other men (which I did) than share him with women. I want to be the only woman or I'd just rather be alone. Well, another reason to be with my "husband" is because I get my SPACE.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 09:37PM

From the time I was a teenager, I always felt women got screwed (double entendre not intended) in momo theology. It seemed to me the men got all the fun and authority and the women got the hard work.

I was so relieved once I realized the whole thing was a sham.

Date: May 03, 2020 01:58PM

My friends and I used to joke about how we would have to go down to visit the lower kingdoms to hear any good music. "Crank up the AC/DC Satin, we can't hear it from here", or "Can you play some Rolling Stones for us?".

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 03, 2020 02:27PM

Ever distancing themselves from the "folklore" of Mormonism...it's NOW official...NO PLANET FOR YOU!!!

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics-essays/becoming-like-god?lang=eng

Paragraph 28...

A cloud and harp are hardly a satisfying image for eternal joy, although most Christians would agree that inspired music can be a tiny foretaste of the joy of eternal salvation. >>>Likewise, while few Latter-day Saints would identify with caricatures of having their own planet,<<< most would agree that the awe inspired by creation hints at our creative potential in the eternities.

Or so it seems to me...

Date: May 05, 2020 09:54PM

...or something.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: May 03, 2020 02:47PM

The point is being awesome without those things which i am. Lucky for me becoming a God was a bizarre desire to hear when i was young that i never wanted to begin with. Even nonstop sex didn't sound that awesome. I mean sex is good and all but nonstop with many wives? I barely get along with women in the first place unless they are scorpios or cancers.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 03, 2020 03:02PM

The point is you damn well do what I tell you to do!

Date: May 04, 2020 03:22AM

the SECOND POINT is that ChurchCo can convince today's people that yesterday's statements are no longer operative, accurate, relevant, trustworthy, or even helpful, let alone important or required for them attaining the CK.

? Which way is the wind blowing?

The answer is blowing in the wind!

Date: May 04, 2020 10:38PM

They used to say you can't be saved in ignorance. Now they say we don't need to know all that stuff.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 03:35AM

I'm holding out for muslim heaven.

Date: May 04, 2020 10:40PM

Virgins aren't as fun in bed. Dozens of them doesn't make it any better. Give me a woman who knows what she's doing and isn't self-conscious about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.