Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedocumentor ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 07:59AM

Years ago, I emailed a question to the church about its teachings on some subject (I no longer remember the topic).

Reply: "we will be happy to send a missionary to your house to explain this."

But I suspected that the church absolutely did not want to put anything in writing, in the event that its teachings changed; so to get around that problem, it would be happy to send a missionary, so that if the teaching changed ("revelation"), it could say "well, the missionary was probably young, misunderstood the teaching" and so on.

So I replied (email) "I'm a little hard of hearing, and anyway I absorb things better in print."

As I expected, I never again heard from the church.

was curious to see if the church would give me anything in writing--since I suspected that it wanted to

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 09:43AM

You're absolutely right. They've finally put some things in writing though they don't say that they were approved by the first presidency.

Here's some things you might find interesting. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/intro?lang=eng

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 03:09PM

People who sell ignorance as bliss send their most ignorant (youth) to answer all the questions. It is way more successful than one would think.

Their old dissimilate, their young proselyte.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.