Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 06:50PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05/15/us-believers-see/

New York • The coronavirus has prompted almost two-thirds of American believers of all faiths to feel that God is telling humanity to change how it lives, a new poll finds.

While the virus rattles the globe, causing economic hardship for millions and killing more than 80,000 Americans, the findings of the poll by the University of Chicago Divinity School and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research indicate that people may also be searching for deeper meaning in the devastating outbreak.
The poll found that 31% of Americans who believe in God feel strongly that the virus is a sign of God telling humanity to change, with the same number feeling that somewhat. Evangelical Protestants are more likely than others to believe that strongly, at 43%, compared with 28% of Catholics and mainline Protestants.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 08:01PM

It could be a sign that America has gone off the track. We're lost. I'm not an expert on how god communicates with nations but The one thing I've taken from this epidemic though is that being clean is important, washing hands, staying home from work when sick, these are all wise things to do, that we haven't done in the past.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 08:37PM

Why can't He just "... We interrupt this program..." to dispense His divine word?

I doubt the percentages would change regarding belief in the origin of the 'interruption'.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 08:49PM

"COVID-19 crisis spawns another silly theological book"

"In the beginning was 'Coronavirus and Christ' by U.S. theologian John Piper. Now we’re about to get God and the Pandemic: 'A Christian Reflection on the Coronavirus and Its Aftermath', by a British theologian, N T (Tom) Wright"

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 12:22AM

Because the virus is only in the US, right?

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 12:40AM

You're in good company.

You have said the same thing. Your god sent Covid to teach us balance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 12:45AM by dogblogger.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 11:23AM

Not sure if your post is directed at me but my post was meant to be irony. Poor irony, though, if I have to explain it.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 11:25AM

No to s cat

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 01:20AM

Well, since they see *everything* as a message from God, it's not surprising.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 03:09AM

I notice they don't say what message, precisely. I'm sure there will be no shortage of people who claim to know.

The only personal "messages" that I've gotten from this mess are a) saving money has to be more of a priority, b) quit spending money on so many stupid things, c) some economic/job diversity in a family is not a bad thing. If one sector is down, another might be up, and d) I have a greater capacity to amuse myself on the cheap than I thought.

Posted by: Valued ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 03:58AM

In an earlier post FACE THE MESSAGE FROM ABOVE https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2308027
I predicted this by saying:

“You would think a religious person would read this worldwide C-19 crises as one big message from above to love one another. We will never get back to normal, and a full economy, until we realize we are all in this together. Each person has to take the cheesy, full love thy neighbor approach, of not spreading the disease. We know the people who are doing this. WE CAN SEE IT CLEARLY ON THEIR FACE.”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 11:34AM

Masks as mezuzot!!

The mouth is the principle (and my second favorite) entrance to the body, so the notion of 'mask as mezuzah' does make some sense.

But how do you tilt it and which way?!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.