Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 06:09PM

I don't recall any of those "In Service" lessons recommending hoarding a year's worth of T.P. I'm trying to imagine someone's basement with that much T.P. to last a family of five (or Mormon family of 8-12), Think what that stuff would sell for now if they had put it away in the 60's and the mice hadn't made their home there.

At the grocery store last week I noticed that the T.P. and Coke aisle were both empty. The prophet should have let us know what was truly essential at end times!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 06:10PM

I'd want to know the answer if I were Pooped, too.

Date: May 15, 2020 07:23PM

I'm not that delicate, as you know.

On my mission, when things started going really crazy, several of us sisters and brothers got fed up with the institutional and cultural dishonesty. The Mormon curse words--darn, dang, shoot, heck, flip, fudge, gosh, goldarn, etc--seemed to reflect the church's mendacity and superficiality.

In a couple of branches we got jars and established a rule: get caught using a substitute curse and plop a set amount of cash in the communal pot. We used this practice to teach ourselves to use the real words rather than sounding like timid old ladies. It gave us a small sense of genuineness, something important in such a counterfactual environment. So no, Goddamn it, I do not say "poop" when I mean shit.

Now where did I put those fucking pearls?!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 07:37PM

Date: May 15, 2020 07:53PM

I know.

The problem is that I threw them at my kid and now I can't find them. Commercial genius that he is, he probably sold them on Ebay!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 07:54PM

Well damn. Some Relief Society somewhere must have directions for making Ho-Made toilet paper.

Date: May 15, 2020 07:57PM

You are a bad boy, Shinehah. A very bad boy!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 08:04PM

Not a fond memory?

Date: May 15, 2020 08:05PM

No, I just don't remember any Hos in the room!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 06:44PM

in-around Seattle, a group of los mormones bought a carload of (Utah) coal & buried it in their back yards. This was back in the days when consumers could buy 1 carload which is now about 100 tons...
Today the railroads only deal in unit train-loads to power companies.

I swear it's true, I knew some who did!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 06:48PM

No, because the church was in the business of selling wheat. They weren't in the business of selling toilet paper.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 06:56PM

I think there is more truth there than people realize. I always thought those welfare canneries where people would go and work and then buy what they canned were kind of scammy, even when I was a TBM.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 06:48PM

My mother always had several 96 roll cases of TP in storage. My husband and I continue to have a rotating storage and have not had to buy TP since December. I grew up thinking that was normal.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 06:54PM

Hell, I haven't even bought a tank of gas since mid February. It is finally below half. I should start looking for a station so I can fill up before Fourth of July.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 07:07PM

I have .70/gal discount accrued with a supermarket, and about .50/gal accrued at a warehouse store's gas station. I'm not quite halfway through the tank I topped up April 30 (paid .80/gal with points then current). Both these discounts will expire on or around June 1.

Oh, the agony! The cheap Yankee in me wants to drive across the state just so I'll have an empty tank to take advantage of this.

On a serious not, everybody: If you're parked in stasis, take your car out for a 5-10 mile spin twice a week, just to make sure your battery's charged, tires are exercised, fuel moves through the system, fan belt(s) don't get brittle, etc.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 07:03PM

Total Propaganda

Towels Please!

The Book of Mormon Toilet papers

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 08:06PM

T Who???

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 08:40PM

My daughter told me about it. I know her MIL well and I asked her about it. She said she buys it for all of them, her kids and grandkids included. She had been buying up diapers as her DIL was due to have a baby in April (and did).

Before my ex left me, I didn't buy a 2 year supple or a 1 year supply, but I had a lot of TP and a lot of laundry detergent as those are the things my mother always ran out of when I was growing up, but alas, when I was a poor single mom, I quit doing that. I was down to about 4 rolls. My boyfriend gave me some of his until I was able to get some. BUT then now I've been buying for my 2 disabled brothers and myself, so I pick some up every time I go to the store.

But, no, I don't believe they taught us to buy TP and those 72 hour kids definitely didn't have TP in them.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 12:41AM

Do a quad and church "history" books count as TP?

Date: May 17, 2020 07:22PM

Only if you don't mind having dirty hands. The Book of Mormon, for instance, disintegrates under the slightest bit of pressure.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 01:38AM

I'm Pooped the adjective not Poop the noun. But you made me think about my first day unpacking in the dorm at BYU. Those closet doors slid like greased lightning and heavy. I managed to crush my thumb pretty hard and screamed "Damn !" The whole floor came running to my room to see what had happened.

Remember, my dad was not LDS. It just "pooped" out of my mouth (the verb).

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 02:01PM

I don't recall The Brethren telling members to store TP, but back in the day, members often had their own take on the storage. My parents' neighbor stored cosmetics because if times were really bad, she said she didn't want to go around looking like a hag. My mom saved and rotated feminine hygiene products. She had three daughters besides herself to worry about in that regard. I believe we had a stash of TP and other paper products, too. Since my mom is now post-menopausal and her daughters all live elsewhere, I certainly hope she's allowed her stash to deplete.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 04:22PM

"...lay up grain and flour, and save it against a day of scarcity.” Brigham Young Discourses

Mormon Church Food Prep: 200 years of stirring up fear and spending dollars but still never getting it right.

How many lifetimes and % of retirement savings have been drained or otherwise wasted by this erroneous advice? Yet even the most heathenest of nonmembers in CA have more toilet paper than the average person in Utah.

Shows you what is real when the poop hits the fan.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 06:52PM

No mention was evermade non perishables.

Wheat. Honey. Powdered milk. Textured vegetable protien.

100 pound bags of potatoes from the elders quorum fundraiser.

My parents stored toilet paper, salt, spices and soap and detergent.

We also canned from the orchards and garden.

Dad had a meat locker full of beef and critter of the year (elk, antelope or what ever we hunted.)

Many of my elderly relatives hoarded cloth, buttons, needles, thread, yarn, hand me down clothes galore.

In the 80s I was the emergency prepardness person for three weeks. When I gave my one and only presentation focusing on storing non food items I was released.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 07:24PM

Someone somewhere has so much "non-essential" TP it is about to make their shelf break.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.