Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 07:59PM

Annie Glenn, widow of the pioneering astronaut and U.S. Senator John Glenn, passed away today of complications of Covid-19. She was 100 years old.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/annie-glenn-100-famed-astronauts-widow-dies-covid-70767362

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 07:59PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 08:04PM

¿ did she died OPie ? ~

¿ we news chanel now OPie ? ~

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 08:16PM

Yup. we news channel now. I like it !

Date: May 20, 2020 07:54AM

I think perhaps you need to be a certain age for this news to be meaningful. As a child, I watched *every* spaceshot live in my classroom because it was a very big deal back then. I remember looking up at the moon, and thinking, people are walking on that surface right now.

In the movie, "Hidden Figures," John Glenn refused to launch until mathematician Katherine Graham signed off on the numbers supporting his launch trajectory. John Glenn was a very big deal, and if you know anything about him, then you know that Annie was a crucial support to him in much the same way that Eleanor Roosevelt was a crucial support to FDR.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 11:17PM

I was surprised when I saw on our local news that she was living in MN.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 11:20PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 11:35PM

Rocket man missed his wife.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 01:51AM

I like to think that Annie and her beloved John are together now. I don't necessarily believe it, but they did, so I like to think that it is true for them. They were a remarkable couple. John Glenn was one of my heroes.

My Dad was a huge fan of the nascent Space Program. I'm so glad he lived long enough to see John Glenn's orbital flight. That was the last launch Dad would see. (I was allowed to stay home from school to see the first three Mercury flights, because Dad firmly believed that we were witnessing history.) I would remain a spellbound fan up through the Apollo flights.

Godspeed, Annie and John Glenn!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 02:40AM

Wow... I just watched Astronaut Wives Club on Apple TV last week and they had portrayed her. She was a remarkable woman.

Sorry to hear that she died of COVID-19, but she lived a really long and amazing life. I hope she's at peace now.

Date: May 20, 2020 07:46AM

Yes, indeed. I think she was also portrayed in "The Right Stuff."

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 12:35PM

When I was a kid, they lived about 2 miles away in Timber Cove, with a slew of others. Most of the "Mercury 7" lived there or 100 yards away in El Lago. I had a few friends that were astronaut kids. In El Lago, I remember swimming in their neighborhood pool that was shaped like a space capsule. They were just neighbors back then and I think they liked to solace of being treated like regular guys (although very respected regular guys). They mowed their own lawns, washed their cars. Just regular guys that sat on top of a shitload of rocket fuel and explored space and the moon. Good times.

https://www.coastmonthly.com/2019/06/the-most-nasa-neighborhoods/

Date: May 20, 2020 04:46PM

What a cool story! Thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 12:53PM

I find it ironic that the POTUS inaugurated a "Space Force" and a pioneering astronaut's wife died from complications of a disease that he downplayed.

Glenn's widows death is a sure sign of the travail of humans and their greed for global domination with no plan for space exploration.

Date: May 20, 2020 04:50PM

100 is a good run by any standard, but she didn't deserve to be taken down by Covid. No one does.

We had a sense of purpose during our race to the moon that really has never been duplicated since. I have told my young students that some of their peers will be on the trip to Mars one day. But I secretly hope that it happens a whole lot sooner than that.

I think as humans we are at our best when we dream big, important dreams and work hard to make those dreams come true.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 05:14PM

I know the math does not work that way, but I hope you agree with the sentiment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.