Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 05:46PM

According to this article, these are places you either do not want to be, or need to take certain precautions during reopening: Bars, clubs, dance floors, buffets, buses, choirs, indoor church services, gyms, malls, call centers, large sporting events, etc. There is some *very* useful information in this article.

Some anecdotes:

1. "A 29-year-old South Korean man who didn’t know he had the virus went barhopping on April 30, after the country loosened restrictions. He and a friend went to five bars and clubs in Seoul. To date, 187 positive cases have been tied to this night on the town, including 93 people who visited the same nightspots as the pair. At these clubs, it is pretty clear they did not maintain social distancing restrictions."

2. "In January, an asymptomatic woman who had recently been to Wuhan took a bus with 66 other passengers to a worship event at a Buddhist temple. She felt sick after returning home. The ride was 50 minutes each way and passengers stayed in the same seats on both legs of the trip. Of the 66 passengers, 24 were infected. There was no statistically significant correlation between how close the passengers sat to the woman — labeled IP [in the chart] below — and whether or not they got the disease. Many further than 6 feet away caught it."

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/23/your-guide-how/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 06:04PM

wow! thanks for posting, I'm going to not run on the treadmill at the gym from now on because of the heavy breathing and the droplets. Also I'll stay away from gay bars, choir practice and church, like the article suggested!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 07:38PM

No barhopping for you, Maca! :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 07:40PM

Stay away from straight bars too. ::facepalm::

BTW, that Washington state choir incident - the choir members were careful not to engage in hugs, handshakes, etc. They kept their distance, though I don't know if they kept 6 for distance. In any case, the large number if infections they had were apparently all or most all transmitted through air droplets over the two hour choir practice.

Hmmm, what church has ( or had) a 2 hour church service.....?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 07:52PM

The article doesn't emphasize that superspreader events occur in gay bars. Your comment sounds like avoiding gay bars is literal advice prompted by the study. That is not true.

Rather, the conclusion is that buffets, malls, churches and bars are high-risk areas. All types of bars due to being crowded areas where social distancing is not possible. Your adjective of choice (gay) makes as much sense as if I remarked that after reading that article I'm going to avoid cowboy bars. Zero sense, iow. The emphasis is on the location - bars - not certain types of bars. In fact, even salad bars are included as risky, for different reasons.

On a different note, anti-gay comments, even if somewhat veiled, are not permitted at RfM. LGBTQ exmos & other readers have had a bellyful of that sort of "virus" and it will be met here with buckets of Lysol, Dettol or whatever brand anybody chooses.

Besides being intolerant, important potentially life-saving info will be missed if accuracy in findings and reporting is not protected.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 08:13PM

Are you afraid the gay bars won't take you back ?

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:14PM

Yep. Stick to Grinder and you'll be fine!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 11:06PM

When I was a freshman in high school, there was a mini-scandal involving an 18-year-old female senior whose reputation really took it in the shorts because of rumors she was a superspreader.

Weird word, huh: superspreader.

When I was a good little mormon boy it was my goal to be a Celestial superspreader.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.