Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 12:22AM

And here's a black pastor who was assaulted and called the police only then to be arrested himself. The attackers waved to him as he was driven away in the police car.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-pastor-calls-911-alleged-200323783.html

These things are happening daily now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2020 12:23AM by Lot's Wife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 01:30AM

"When did chalk art become 'defacing' property?" he tweeted. "Cause then I got some kindergarteners outside committing all kinds of crime right now that Karen can heroically bust!"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 01:31AM

Chalking while black.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 01:39AM

Fortunately, the pastor was subsequently released and the white attackers were themselves arrested.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/black-pastor-who-called-911-after-alleged-attack-was-arrested-n1231005

Look at those photos. Seriously, that family looks like three generations of inbreeding. Classic white trash.

Date: June 14, 2020 12:27AM

And this ...

"NYPD lieutenant apologizes to colleagues for kneeling during protest"

https://news.yahoo.com/nypd-lieutenant-apologizes-colleagues-kneeling-181157616.html

Date: June 14, 2020 12:31AM

And this...

"New Jersey cop charged after bodycam footage shows him using pepper spray on young black men."

https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/bodycam

Date: June 14, 2020 12:57AM

I read that one.
I guess my esteem for the mounties has been lowered considerably.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 08:02AM

There have been numerous incidents in the last few weeks between police and civilians in Canada, including three deaths, two of whom were Indigenous people, a male & a female in unconnected encounters. Several confrontations were with RCMP and others with city police.

It's not how we like to picture our Mounties either. But the issues in some cases are complex and obviously challenging. It's always disturbing though and hopefully rare here. That is not comforting for grieving families though.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 12:57AM

Those two young men could have so easily ended up dead.

The suspect's charges need to take that into account.

I am so sad.

Date: June 14, 2020 01:01AM

Completely agree.

Date: June 14, 2020 01:11AM

And then there is this one.

It shows a SNL alum, Jay Pharoah, being arrested by LA police with guns drawn, then pinned to the ground complete with a knee to the neck.

It was, of course, a mistake. But it was a mistake that could easily have ended in Pharoah's death.

Start at 1:00.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBVo2bJn-wZ/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading

Date: June 14, 2020 01:22AM

And for thingsithink, who believes that I have my facts wrong on when police may use force against suspects, the following. S/he is confident that the nature of the crime under investigation is relevant to the use of force; that the police may use lethal weapons if the crime is a serious one.

Here is the constitutional standard as enunciated by the supreme court in Tennessee v. Garner in 1985: “The use of deadly force to prevent the escape of all felony suspects, whatever the circumstances, is constitutionally unreasonable.” Deadly force may only be used in the immediate defense of life: that of the police or someone else.

There you have it. Even a mass murderer is out of bounds if s/he is not an immediate threat to someone's life.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 02:07AM

Didn’t I get piled on here for comparing (rather tongue in cheek) the current situation to the Third Reich? Our Gestapo doesn’t look so great now. It’s ironic how Joe Biden’s “Tough on Crime” reforms created the problem that’s plaguing the people he’s now pandering to.

Date: June 14, 2020 02:35AM

Joe Biden created racism in the police forces? That would mean there was no inequity in the administration of justice before the 1990s.

Does that make sense to you? No abuse of people of color from, I dunno, the 17th century through the 1980s?

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 02:14AM

Bradley he has been working on it for close to 50 years. Unfortunately, it takes time. There have been some spending bills that he has had to push through and well. That is why we need to keep voting people in like this or how else will it be able to change?

Date: June 15, 2020 01:14AM

"A Colorado man whose family says he’s mentally ill had access to a handgun and a rifle that he used to hold two people - one a 20-year-old Black student at CSU - at gunpoint while waiting for police because he believed they were members of antifa."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.