Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 08:56PM

I'm asking this for my wife. She says it's vaguely on-topic because, with sugar being the substance with which many Mormons drug themselves, many people with Mormon roots are experts concerning the production of desserts and sweet treats. I don't know if the specific recipe has LDS history as do funeral potatoes and Utah scones, but we who assemble here are such an eclectic group that, in all likelihood, someone here has expertise with regard to this pseudo-delicacy. This wasn't a recipe anyone in my family baked.

The degree to which this post is off/topic notwithstanding, my wife wishes to bake a sort of oatmeal/chocolate/salted caramel bar cookie known as "carmelitas." She was exposed to them while attending BYU. For various functions, girls baked and brought them. Other than the Sunday block, almost any time Mormons gather is an occasion for desserts. She thinks she even had them once at Chuck-o-Rama, that uniquely Utah-esque gustatory experience. Everyone in our immediate family has trouble keeping sufficient weight on, so Jillian bakes frequently.

This recipe has a baked oatmeal cookie layer, topped by chocolate and nuts, which are topped by caramel,which then has the remainder of the oatmeal cookie dough crumbled atop it prior to the final baking.

What Jillian would like to know is whether caramel ice cream topping sauce or melted caramels mixed with whipping cream produce(s) the better finished product. The available online recipes for this creation are about 50/50 with regard to using candy versus ice cream topping sauce.

Any thoughts? Jillian thanks you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2020 10:49PM by scmd1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 18, 2020 10:49PM

Topping because I'm jonesing for cookies.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 10:49PM

Pues dígala que las haga 50% de un estilo y 50% del otro, y que ella misma sea la jueza de cual es preferida!

Y si necesita ayuda, exist para server.

-- EOD, a sus órdenes!

Date: June 18, 2020 11:37PM

Eso es lo que lo dije, pero mi esposa, fuera de su caracter,no esta cooperando.

Si no puede usar todos los contenidos, no quiere abrir la jarra crema de caramelo.

Gracias por intentarlo, mi amigo.

Date: June 18, 2020 11:42PM

Jeez, I speak Spanish several days a week because of work, but I haven't typed anything since med school.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2020 11:45PM by scmd1.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 10:55PM

Pretty a case of subjective taste. Personally I like milk caramel, like cajeta. Or cooked downn sweetened condensed milk.

Date: June 18, 2020 11:45PM

Thanks so much, everyone. I suggested half of each style, but we're not fans of caramel on ice cream. An unopened jar was left here from a pre-Covid potluck, so we happened to have one on hand. She doesn't want to open the jar of caramel ice cream topping unless she can use basically the entire jar, and putting twice as much caramel in half of the cookies does not appeal to her sense of balance. I suggested taking the remainder of the caramel sauce to a neighbor, but she said only if I was willing to share some of the cookies as well. If I were going to share the cookies, it would be with all of you and not with the neighbor.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 10:56PM

sometimes in Mo circles, green jello serves as dessert....

just sayin'

Date: June 19, 2020 12:29AM

The last time I went to Upchuck-o-rama, which was for a nephew's b'day four years ago, they had nearly enough jello flavors to match every Crayola in the 64-pack, and they kept the tray with the green stuff constantly refilled. I still didn't touch it. The gelatin ratio in the mix is so strong that it wouldn't melt at high noon on a St. George sidewalk in July. They could almost use the stuff as embalming fluid. Some kid in Draper or Sandy did actually use Chuck-a-rama's jello to preserve a dead hamster as a science fair project. He didn't win, but he made his point, much to the chagrin of the management of Up-chuck-orama.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 10:58PM

I think she needs to do half one way and half the other. That's the only way to know what she personally likes best!

I think we all need a sample. :-)

Date: June 18, 2020 11:39PM

How remarkably profound and sagacious, Dagny! You are truly doted with wisdom and intellect!! I consider you to be a true genius!!!!

Date: June 19, 2020 12:19AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How remarkably profound and sagacious, Dagny! You
> are truly doted with wisdom and intellect!! I
> consider you to be a true genius!!!!

, , , o tal vez ella habla español

Date: June 19, 2020 12:39AM

¡Mi opinión es que NO habla Español!

Date: June 19, 2020 12:55AM

Ya no lo hablo bien

Date: June 18, 2020 11:43PM

Thanks so much, everyone. I suggested half of each style, but we're not fans of caramel on ice cream. An unopened jar was left here from a pre-Covid potluck, so we happened to have one on hand. She doesn't want to open the jar of caramel ice cream topping unless she can use basically the entire jar, and putting twice as much caramel in half of the cookies does not appeal to her sense of balance. I suggested taking the remainder of the caramel sauce to a neighbor, but she said only if I was willing to share some of the cookies as well. If I were going to share the cookies, it would be with all of you and not with the neighbor.

Posted by: Answer ( )
Date: June 19, 2020 12:07AM

Where are my cookies?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 19, 2020 01:00AM

Most ice cream toppings are caramel flavor.

I'd go with real quality caramel.

Date: June 19, 2020 02:40AM

Verdict: wife used Werther's soft creme caramels. Most of the cookies have been devoured. The kids will probably be sick during the night. They kept sneaking more after we told them they'd had enough. It was good to find out with something as relatively benign as cookies that our four-year-old can scale the refrigerator, which is not even next to a counter.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 19, 2020 10:20AM

Yum. We probably all need insulin just reading this.

Now I'm going to want to buy some Werther's caramels when I shop.

It sounds like the kids found a favorite.

Tell your wife thanks - it made me want to cook something similar this weekend. I need to know if my grandson can scale my fridge.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 19, 2020 05:54PM

The only answer is YES.
Do it multiple ways with multiple layers
then bring them forth and let the forum decide.

Also Google

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 19, 2020 06:07PM

Oooo I should not have Googled that. Now I have to make them.

Posted by: Adam the empath ( )
Date: June 19, 2020 08:31PM

I am totally an expert in this area(not really).

Just tell jillian that she is beautiful for me haha, thanks. Little jealous still but oh well. Everyone has their own life path and i just chose the lonely one. I am very hard to like on purpose i think. Beth might like me though.

Date: June 19, 2020 11:32PM

I like you, too, Adam.

Date: June 20, 2020 08:10PM

One way to confuse me big time is to like me for real.

Date: June 20, 2020 08:24PM

Wish i could stop the craziness out there and sometimes i think i can. I can only influence my sphere and maybe the hatred and violence will end eventually. I just want to live a peaceful life i think and have a hot wife like scmd one day. Is this too much to ask? Apparently so.

Date: June 20, 2020 08:31PM

Been running on the track the last couple of days. Let that sink in. I have not ran since the car accident in 2005. Looks like the fusion of my SI joints might be paying off.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: June 20, 2020 07:39PM

I would make cajeta from scratch. No other way if you are going to make that delicious carb-y goodness!

RMM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.