Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: codymac ( )
Date: June 22, 2020 07:24AM

I know I'm brand new here, but I got terrible news yesterday. If you pray, I would greatly appreciate your prayers.

My ex-wife and I have three children. We divorced while I was still in active addiction. Not that it matters, per se, but I never endangered my kids outright in my addiction, i.e. leaving tablets or syringes around, taking them to exchanges, etc. I love my children with all my heart. I do not have custody, but do have non-custodial rights. She changed her number and has refused to talk to me or allow me even phone calls with my kids until I reach a certain amount of time in recovery(over 2 years). Even phone calls. I pay child support and I am a willing, loving father. I am now going to have to take her to court to petition the state to compel her to comply with state law(here in TN, NC parents have fundamental rights, one of which is phone calls). I will win, but it still hurts that it may be many more months before I hear their beautiful little voices again and they hear mine. Thanks for reading this. Hope everyone has a good day. Off to work now to make the nation's sausage biscuits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 22, 2020 08:46AM

I'm sorry, that must hurt a lot. But you are taking the right path by using the legal system. Good luck.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 22, 2020 09:32AM

I agree with summer. You must use the legal system and enforce your rights to have contact with your children.

My husband is not an addict, but he has a mentally ill ex wife who denied him visitation after they each divorced and remarried. The last time he saw his older daughter in person was in December 2004. He just saw his younger daughter for the first time since 2004 in March of this year. She's now 26 years old and a mother of two.

They just started speaking again on Skype three years ago after many years apart. They had a wonderful reunion just before COVID shut everything down (she is in Utah and we're in Germany), but he now knows it was a terrible mistake not to fight for his children. They paid a huge price.

I don't pray a lot, but I will send you my best vibes for this situation. Don't lose touch with your children. They may be the one thing that helps you fight your addiction, too. Best of luck!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 22, 2020 09:58PM

Cody, if she is also making the kids NOT WANT to see you, what she is doing is called, "Parental Alienation." It may not be illegal in all states, but luckily, it makes judges really mad.

Yes, you need to get this into court. Do you have a case worker who can attest to your progress and go to bat for you ?

Good luck to you and your children.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: June 24, 2020 12:42PM

+codymac:
Why does she not allow you to talk to your kids?
I keep hearing the same thing with other divorced people or people who were never married.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: June 24, 2020 12:57PM

Document everything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.