Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 27, 2020 09:58AM

"At the beginning of the pandemic, the coronavirus looked to be another respiratory illness. But the virus has turned out to affect not just the lungs, but the kidneys, the heart and the circulatory system — even, somehow, our senses of smell and taste.

Now researchers have discovered yet another unpleasant surprise. In many patients hospitalized with the coronavirus, the immune system is threatened by a depletion of certain essential cells, suggesting eerie parallels with H.I.V.

The findings suggest that a popular treatment to tamp down the immune system in severely ill patients may help a few, but could harm many others. The research offers clues about why very few children get sick when they are infected, and hints that a cocktail of drugs may be needed to bring the coronavirus under control, as is the case with H.I.V.

Growing research points to “very complex immunological signatures of the virus,” said Dr. John Wherry, an immunologist at the University of Pennsylvania whose lab is taking a detailed look at the immune systems of Covid-19 patients.

In May, Dr. Wherry and his colleagues posted online a paper showing a range of immune system defects in severely ill patients, including a loss of virus-fighting T cells in parts of the body.

In a separate study, the investigators identified three patterns of immune defects, and concluded that T cells and B cells, which help orchestrate the immune response, were inactive in roughly 30 percent of the 71 Covid-19 patients they examined. None of the papers have yet been published or peer reviewed.

Researchers in China have reported a similar depletion of T cells in critically ill patients, Dr. Wherry noted. But the emerging data could be difficult to interpret, he said — “like a Rorschach test.”

Research with severely ill Covid-19 patients is fraught with difficulties, noted Dr. Carl June, an immunologist at the University of Pennsylvania who was not involved with the work.

“It is hard to separate the effects of simply being critically ill and in an I.C.U., which can cause havoc on your immune system,” he said. “What is missing is a control population infected with another severe virus, like influenza.” ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/health/coronavirus-immune-system.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mountain Meadows Memories ( )
Date: June 27, 2020 01:31PM

This was pointed out some time ago, but dismissed as a "conspiracy theory".

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 04:15PM

The COVID conspiracy theory crew is infuriating. All of them I personally know are either LDS or really fundy, YEC Evangelical. :\

Posted by: surroundednjudged ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 12:34PM

And let’s not forget about the effects on the Central Nervous System. We have no idea if there will be long term sequelae there. Those that think it’s no big deal may be in for a big, nasty surprise months or years down the road.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 05:02PM

I've heard it said that homosapiens have no natural enemies to threaten their survival and protect the species from overpopulating.

It seems that viruses are quite capable of being our natural enemy and may do a very successful job of taking down our population numbers.

Mother Nature will not be mocked.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 05:18PM

Mother nature is a bitch.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 06:11PM

So, I got tested for Covid today. I've had a sore throat for the past day or two. While I am reasonably certain that this is most likely due to allergies (post-nasal drip can cause a sore throat and/or an upset stomach,) I may be visiting family members over the Independence Day weekend, and I don't want to carry anything home to them.

I'm lucky in that Maryland has plenty of tests, and it's easy to get tested here. I went through a CVS pharmacy, and filled out an online form. You need to check off that you have at least one of the symptoms i.e.. sore throat, cough, fever, etc. Insurance covers it, or if you don't have insurance, the test is free. You could pick your testing time.

I went through the pharmacy drive-through. I never at any time had direct contact with the P.A. or the pharmacy tech. Instead, they give you the testing kit through a box like mechanism that drive through bank tellers used to use. The tech walked me through the process (nasal swab.) It was mildly uncomfortable, but not horrible. I dropped it in the nearby box, and I was finished after maybe a ten minute wait, and ten minutes for testing. I'll get the result in 2-4 days.

I know that medical experts have added new symptoms to the list, including nasal congestion (which is very tough for allergy sufferers.)

If you have any doubt about your symptoms, get tested. Protect your loved ones! I can tell you that going through the CVS pharmacy was quick and easy. I was tested within two hours of filling out my online application.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.