Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 03, 2020 10:42PM

https://www.ksl.com/article/46772985/utah-researchers-findings-show-most-residents-highly-susceptible-to-covid-19-infection

This terrifies me.

I'm not leaving my house.

Somebody please tell me I am over reacting to this news.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 03, 2020 11:11PM

Too bad 'fake media and pay to play main street science', persuaded Utah politicians to cancel a shipment of Hydroxy that 'saves' lives from this virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8487315/50-fewer-COVID-19-patients-died-treated-hydroxychloroquine.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR3l8FZ40_DtLUlbQzVgk0mClGCobkwqVJLF3xL98d2LuW_kMouBi-hdhic

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 03, 2020 11:21PM

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

"Researchers not involved in the Henry Ford study pointed out it wasn't of the same quality of the studies showing hydroxychloroquine did not help patients, and said other treatments, such as the use of the steroid dexamethasone, might have accounted for the better survival of some patients."

"Researchers not involved with the study were critical. They noted that the Henry Ford team did not randomly treat patients but selected them for various treatments based on certain criteria."

"Rosenberg also pointed out that the Detroit paper excluded 267 patients -- nearly 10% of the study population -- who had not yet been discharged from the hospital.
He said this might have skewed the results to make hydroxychloroquine look better than it really was. Those patients might have still been in the hospital because they were very sick, and if they died, excluding them from the study made hydroxychloroquine look like more of a lifesaver than it really was."

"Both the Detroit and New York studies were observational: they looked back at how patients did when doctors prescribed hydroxychloroquine.
While helpful, observational studies are not as valuable as controlled clinical trials. Considered the gold standard in medicine, patients in a clinical trial are randomly assigned to take either the drug or a placebo, which is a treatment that does nothing. Doctors then follow the patients to see how they fare.
Two clinical trials on hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19, one in the US and one in the UK, were stopped early because their data suggested hydroxychloroquine wasn't helpful. "

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 03, 2020 11:30PM

But where's your faith?

We know the MSM and science are corrupt, and spiritist's study--no doubt vouched for by the spirits who allow him regularly to beat the stockmarket--supports that conclusion.

It's time to doubt your doubts, brother.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 03, 2020 11:44PM

Date: July 03, 2020 11:49PM

When use of a drug becomes political ---- you know you have to do your own research.

Luckily, doctors in most states kept prescribing it!! Doctors don't pay much attention to fake news and silly studies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 11:49PM by spiritist.

Date: July 04, 2020 12:21AM

> When use of a drug becomes political . . .

Who made it political? Your boi.

---------------
>you know you have to do your own research.

Exactly. And rather than listen to the consensus arrived at after review of numerous studies finding that the drug kills people, you jump on one tentative study and pronounce yourself correct.

You may be right, but the bulk of the evidence suggests that you are not. Moreover, your absolute bilge about spiritualism producing superior equity returns indicates that your common sense on these matters is exiguous. So if you are correct, it is due not to research but to the broken clock rule.

-----------------
> Luckily, doctors in most states kept prescribing
> it!!

There are still people handing out Books of Mormon, too!!

----------------
> Doctors don't pay much attention to fake
> news and silly studies!

Sure, doctors don't listen to the NIH and the FDA. Why? Because they are part of the "deep state" run by your boi.

--------------
Why would you bet your reputation, such as it is, on a single dubious study?

Well, we all know the answer. Praise the spirits of the dead and the wonders of emotional epistemology: neither worked in Mormonism, but they surely do for right-wing political enthusiasts!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 12:37AM

"you have to do your own research." ... It's the "doctors don't know anything" argument.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: July 05, 2020 09:53AM

+Lot's Wife:
"It's time to doubt your doubts, brother."

==Lot's Wife is referring to:
Scholars have left the LDS Church over the years, rarely for a relationship with the Jesus of the Bible, instead for atheism or agnosticism. Today, Mormons everywhere are leaving. In 2011 as the crisis of LDS exodus grew, Marlin K. Jensen, now retired general authority, was asked if LDS leaders knew that scores were leaving the faith, typically after discovering troubling aspects of church history online. He responded:

The fifteen men [First Presidency and Quorum of Twelve] really do know, and they really care. And they realize that maybe since Kirtland [1830s], we never have had a period of, I'll call it apostasy, like we're having right now; largely over these [historical] issues.

In response to questioners, in 2014, the LDS Church issued a letter to all leaders directing members with doubts to reliable church sources instead of outside sources like Christian ministries or church apostates. Regardless of in-place measures to present authentic church history and maybe because of them, Latter-day Saints continue to leave. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, church leader, gave this advice—doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith in Mormonism.

Source:
https://www.christianpost.com/voices/confessions-of-an-ex-mormon-scholar-why-i-left-the-faith.html

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 03, 2020 11:22PM

? What's Mr. Nelson got to say on this?

A. Don't use the word "Mormon"

A. Take your vitamins

A. Announce more temples

A. My handlers need to schedule my next photo op

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 12:39AM

They shouldn’t have stopped fasting to stop the COVID19.

It couldn’t be pre-existing conditions due to consumption of huge quantities of sugar and ice cream as well as bad air quality in the valley, could it?

What happened to having unusually low numbers? I guess they’ve stopped exchanging high fives. What about all of those missionaries brought home early from countries that now have it under control? Great discernment, guys.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 10:41AM

Shockingly considering that most people don't wear masks. Cache County just had its second death. We have some high numbers due to the meat packing plant in Hyrum having all their workers tested. I have to get a test on Monday as I'm having surgery on Thursday. I'm sure I'll be negative.

I'm discouraged by the fact that people aren't wearing masks. Is it really that big of a deal? We put on a seatbelt. I like that people don't recognize me, so it has an added benefit.

I guess there were huge crowds for the fireworks at the high school a mile away last night. They purposely put in 4 fireworks shows so that everyone could watch them from home, but according to my husband, it was really crowded.

I don't see it as the mormons not wearing masks. I see it as the general public. I went to Idaho in the Twin Falls area last weekend and there weren't very many people wearing masks. I think they need to be mandated.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 04:42PM

The Utah coronavirus web page is going to have to recalibrate its chart of daily new cases pretty soon. It is labelled every 200 cases and 800 cases per day is currently off the top of the chart.

Yesterday (7/3), Utah yet again set an all-time record of 659 cases. An all-time high has been happening once a week for the last 3 weeks.

800 cases a day can't be too far in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 04:43PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: July 04, 2020 05:32PM

Perhaps it's time to employ a logarithmic scale.

:(

Date: July 04, 2020 05:45PM

With no vaccine we may as well go for 'herd immunity' with this virus unless hospitals get overloaded! Utah is not 'overloaded' yet!

Where is 'mainstream science' when you need them???

Were in a pandemic!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 05:47PM by spiritist.

Date: July 04, 2020 05:59PM

> With no vaccine we may as well go for 'herd
> immunity' with this virus unless hospitals get
> overloaded! Utah is not 'overloaded' yet!
>
> Where is 'mainstream science' when you need
> them???

Mainstream science is the discipline that identifies "overloading" and organizes ways of first avoiding, and then mitigating, it.

As for "herd immunity," are you unaware of Sweden's failure? Have you been following the unnerving findings that immunity to COVID-19 may be limited in duration--perhaps to just a few months?

Probably not, since those findings are from "mainstream science."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 06:18PM

Our two countries share a border. The pandemic on the Canadian side has been less prevalent than in the USA. Here's a short clip from CNN on the differences in each country that affected outcomes.

(I know there is a difference of opinion about the veracity and utility of CNN, depending often on one's strongly-held political beliefs. But I've watched the piece several times and find nothing false about the reporting).

https://www.facebook.com/cnn/videos/319044885794513

The reporter states at one point that it has been Canada's "unwavering deference to science" that has curbed the pandemic in our land (flattened and lowered the curve).

True enough, the politicians got out of the way, forsook the forefront, and the medics and scientists took control of the national response to COVID-19 from the get-go. Canadians bought into the three basic measures we each can observe to help ourselves and our fellow Canucks: Masks, Distancing, Hand Hygiene. Despite ongoing changes to the understanding of the virus, those three recommendations have remained constant and many Canadians have adopted them as necessary, doable and life-saving (including physicians and politicians). The truth of this is borne out by our relatively low numbers of infection and casualties.

These comments are not to laud Canada as much as to highlight the remark about our "unwavering deference to science". It seemed a natural that our politicians would defer to medical and scientific knowledge from day one. After all, doctors, scientists, researchers, investigators are the ones who know about disease and can pursue treatments and cures. Politicians can rightfully step aside when it's obvious it's not their bailiwick. Our PM, for instance, would look foolish if he tried to make conclusions about medical science and start ordering the MDs/labs on how to proceed - because it's not his area of expertise. Instead, he's spent his time on the economic side of things, implementing a basic income replacement for displaced workers, as well as keeping the country running. Even folks not that enamoured of him have to grant that he's performed well in this unexpected crisis.

But mainly I just wanted to highlight that delicious phrase: Unwavering deference to science.

Maybe some religious leaders we all know well could take a leaf out of Trudeau's book? Step aside on matters that have nothing to do with religion and let the experts speak.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 06:20PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 08:21PM

I agree with above posters, the facemasks need to be mandated. At this point I wish businesses would get a little stricter. If a person isn't wearing a mask then they need to be sold a mask to remain and do their shopping. The clerks need to be more proactive.

The thing about humans is that we follow the herd. If most people will wear a mask then the stragglers will do it too, just like wearing a shirt and shoes in a store. There will always be a few that refuse but we need to get that number down to less than 10%. It would greatly help!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 05, 2020 02:28PM

It's just a little couplet:

As Utah now is, Arizona once was;
As Arizona now is, Utah may become.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 05, 2020 03:49PM

I don't know that Utah teaches that now...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 05, 2020 03:59PM

Arizona is like this chewed piece of gum. Who wants to be Arizona now?

I didn't think so.

Be sure and come back next week, when I dissolve a rusty nail in a glass of Coke.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 05, 2020 04:03PM

Is it the same nail you hammered into a two by four, for educational purposes?

Date: July 05, 2020 04:14PM

Waste not, want not.

And no, I am not talking about your cannabis habit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.