Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 02:50PM

I bet if the Q15 had a Men in Black memory eraser that they could pull out at General Conference, they would like to get rid of the members’ knowledge of certain scriptures:

The Book of Abraham is just an embarrassment to them. They try to ignore it, but it’s still there.
Joseph Smith - History is just one of several (and arguably least reliable) version of Joe’s “vision.”
Almost nobody even pays any attention to Joseph Smith-Matthew or the Book of Moses. I bet the brethren wish the entire Pearl of Great Price would just go away.

Back in 2005, Gordo challenged all members to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. Can you imagine a “prophet” encouraging the members to read to BoM cover-to-cover now? The “most correct book on the face of the earth” is full of problems. I really think that the COJCOLDS would be better off if people paid less attention to the BoM, not more attention. They make minor changes, and offer weak explanations of the racism, anachronisms, lack of evidence, as well as doctrinal issues, but the BoM really isn’t helping their cause. Going forward, I can see them emphasizing the “spiritual” truth of the book, and telling people not to get hung up on whether or not any part of the story really happened.

The Doctrine and Covenants has other issues, but Section 132 is just a huge stinking pile of excrement. Maybe the reason that Section 132 doesn’t freak out more people is that for those who do manage to read all of D&C, by the time they get to Section 132, their brains are numb, and they’ve stopped paying attention.

I think the brethren would be happier if could change their scriptural canon to the Bible (maybe a better version that the King James), much of the D&C, and a deemphasized (and edited) BoM, and hope that everyone forgets about the rest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 02:59PM

Don't forget the book of Moses. It clearly states the curse of cain is black skin and that the city of enoch had no black people in it.

Date: June 27, 2020 09:02AM

It’s funny how ignorant most Mormons are about the Book of Moses. If you ask a Mormon to look up a specific verse in the Book of Moses, there’s a good chance they’ll start flipping through the Old Testament.

Posted by: Man in a White Suit ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 08:45AM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It’s funny how ignorant most Mormons are about
> the Book of Moses. If you ask a Mormon to look up
> a specific verse in the Book of Moses, there’s a
> good chance they’ll start flipping through the
> Old Testament.

I know the Book of Moses. The main problem is that it doubles up on other material. It doubles up on Genesis. It doubles up on the BoA.

I don't remember much about it apart from Enoch.

Date: June 28, 2020 11:10AM

The book of Moses was Joseph's begining of "correcting" the bible.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 27, 2020 10:16AM

Mormons IGNORE some important verses too:

God is no respecter of persons (Exactly What does that mean???)
D&C 1:35

the D&C says restitution is to be 4 times the value of something wrongfully taken
D&C 98:47

the BoM says people won't repent after they die.
Alma 34:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2020 10:16AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Man in a White Suit ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 08:55AM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Book of Abraham is just an embarrassment to
> them. They try to ignore it, but it’s still
> there.

The main reason it gets referred to is the pre-existence and the council in Heaven.

> Joseph Smith - History is just one of several (and
> arguably least reliable) version of Joe’s
> “vision.”

I think this still gets used a lot by missionaries.

> Almost nobody even pays any attention to Joseph
> Smith-Matthew

They don't. Most of the JST is just there as footnotes.

>or the Book of Moses. I bet the
> brethren wish the entire Pearl of Great Price
> would just go away.

Articles of Faith though? They still use that. Only 10 and to a lesser extent 8 are problems.

> Back in 2005, Gordo challenged all members to read
> the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. Can you
> imagine a “prophet” encouraging the members to
> read to BoM cover-to-cover now?

The BOM is this year's Sunday School thing so I guess it still is.

On the other hand, a few years ago, they went through each of the old prophets. I think they ignore pretty much everyone between Joseph Smith and Nelson now. (Nelson is overriding Hinckley as we speak.) Maybe Brigham Young a bit.

The “most
> correct book on the face of the earth” is full
> of problems. I really think that the COJCOLDS
> would be better off if people paid less attention
> to the BoM, not more attention.

It hasn't worked for the RLDS.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 11:25AM

If you are a "Star Trek" fan, you might remember the ST:TOS episode "The Apple" with the Mormonesque Garden of Eden complete with prophet complete with antennae to speak directly to their god Vol.

So, don't expect a direct transmission from Elohim to change "The Book Of Mormon" to fix this anytime soon.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 11:27AM

The admonition to read the BoM cover to cover is a cult tactic to keep the members immersed and not distracted by the outside world, similar to memorizing the Koran or praying the rosary.
It's the mind-numbing rote activity of reading the BoM that counts, not the "eternal spiritual truths" that member think are in there only because the "leaders" say are in there.

The BoA is indeed an embarrassment, a pick and choose mess.

Date: June 28, 2020 05:12PM

“It's the mind-numbing rote activity of reading the BoM that counts.”

Mind-numbing rote activity-a good description of reading the BOM (which I did far to many times). It’s also a great description of temple sessions.

Date: July 02, 2020 07:32PM

I read the "book" of mormon. Mormon chapter 1 verse 1 until it ended. That way I could honestly state I read the "book" of mormon.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 09:53PM

I don't now if it was the case back in the early church, but the BoA has been an embarrassment for as long as I can remember. It does contain some truly nutty material. I noticed some of the other sects in the LDS lala land (e.g., RLDS, Strangite, etc.) don't accept it as canonical.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 10:04PM

I missed the command from Gordo...still haven't read it

Date: June 29, 2020 10:33PM

You were obviously smarter than I was. I obeyed Gordo’s “inspired” counsel read the damn thing cover-to-cover after having already made that mistake multiple times in the past.

At least I finally learned my lesson. That was the last time read it.

Date: June 29, 2020 11:01PM

Anyone remember the book of mormon "read ins" I forgot what they really called them where everyone got together and took turns reading the damn thing non stop? Took like 18 hours or something.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 11:43PM

Wait;

is anyone here suggesting that the GAs pay attention to (any of) the scriptures?

I wanna see some evidence on that, otherwise I say not.

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: July 02, 2020 02:00PM

Mormon 8: verse 32

In the last days churches shall rise up and for your money they will offer you salvation

----------------
mormons read this and think.. that cant be about us.. thats the great and abominable Church, ya right

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: July 03, 2020 01:14PM

Let's not forget the Bible and all other religions.

Bible makes claim that world is flat and center of universe.

Bible encourages marriage between 1st cousins.

Bible instructs to take your children before your village to be stone to death when they are disobedient.

Just a few mentions.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 12:28AM

As a TBM, I was foolish enough to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover many times. I count that as a gift. If I hadn't done that I wouldn't have known there was no real advantage to reading it cover to cover each year.

After the first five times - my brain stopped rejecting it as total crap and a muddled mess of garbage, which it was. I then started reading it slower and digesting one passage a day only.
I was completely brain washed, perfectly content to die on the church plantation but all that reading actually helped.

As soon as the church started doing things that were inconsistent and seat of their pants sort of thing - it was immediately evident to me. This actually aided my un-conversion from the church. I developed a stronger and stronger testimony it was not true.

Then as we say them putting $100B with no good reason, etc. - it all makes sense, every bit of it. They landed in the very trap they set for other churches so they alone could steal your money and your life. I can't stress this enough - follow the profits.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.