Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: July 05, 2020 11:35PM

I am active on another Internet community in which there are, alas, a bunch of anti-science nutters. I largely ignore it, but there is a thread about how masks are worthless and that there is "no evidence" it works. I call BS.

Anyway, I'm in the process of putting together source material, and I thought I'd throw it out there to the fellow scientifically-minded: any studies (preferably peer-reviewed) or other material you think I should cite?

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 12:19AM

I wear a mask and I'm not dead.

Posted by: Zeeeeezrom ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 06:33AM

I don’t wear a mask and guess what, I’m not dead. LOL!

Masks are the equivalent of security blankets for adults.

Date: July 06, 2020 09:02AM

Make sure you go to lots of parties.

Date: July 06, 2020 10:23AM

Obviously I’m not a complete idiot and try to avoid crowded public places whenever possible.

But there are too many people out there who think that wearing a homemade bandana is going to protect them from getting sick. They constantly touch/adjust their masks and then proceed to handle produce, hold doorknobs, rub their eyes, etc. Damp, warm cloth masks are a perfect breeding ground for microbes. Even proper surgical masks won’t do sh*t unless worn properly. And wearing any mask for an extended period of time is going to start causing respiratory issues sooner or later.

Masks are simply not the silver bullet everyone makes them out to be.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 05:12PM

Hi Z,

Good to hear from you...

I have not heard anyone say wearing a mask is a silver bullet. That is a straw-man argument.

If wearing a mask reduces the spread by even a few percent, it seems like a small price to pay.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 10:20AM

What a remarkably foolish thing to say.

Date: July 06, 2020 10:37AM

Please see my response to Dave, above.

Come to think of it, masks worn by covidists are remarkably similar to garments worn by Mormons – it’s a piece of clothing that supposedly protects you from harm, and is an outward display of your inner devotion to a greater good.

Date: July 06, 2020 12:34PM

What a remarkably foolish thing to say.

Date: July 06, 2020 12:58PM

Ad infinitum

Date: July 06, 2020 01:07PM

Covidists: “Scientists who are developing my vaccine wear thousand-dollar pressurized hazmat spacesuits in their labs to be safe from the highly contagious killer Covid-19 virus samples they come into contact with!”

Also Covidists: “I will wrap this old scarf around my face and surely I will be fine.”

What am I missing? (Or let me guess, what a remarkably foolish thing to say? How original.)

Date: July 06, 2020 02:42PM

If someone has a headache and applies a leach in the hope that it will resolve the problem, not once but five or six times, "what a foolish thing to say" is appropriate every single time.

The lack of originality is in the person who keeps demonstrating the same stupidity over and over again.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 12:05PM

Yep, no operating room staff should use them while doing surgery. Bet you would kick up a fuss then.

Date: July 06, 2020 12:08PM

Not what I said. Is reading comprehension difficult for you?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 06:35PM

Perhaps the problem is expressing yourself. If they have value in the operating room and throughout hospitals they have value in the supermarket. Not as a perfect defense but as an aid to reducing the risk of exposure for ourselves and others. Also as has been suggested, as a courtesy to others.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 12:39AM

I don't wear a mask but I wear one when I watch tv especially when Fauci comes on, Does that count?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 12:41AM

I know a sports related site where masks, science and basically anything that disagrees with the right wing view is greeted with hate and scorn.

Posted by: not logged in again ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 01:20AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 04:37AM

Every worker in every surgery theater in the world wears a mask if at all possible. They do it primarily to protect the patient in surgery.

If they need to protect themselves from the patient, I believe they typically wear a mask and a clear shield.

Funny how the people who get all pissy about masks seem to be the same people who get all pissy about not being able to take hydroxychloroquine, and will get all pissy about taking a vaccine. Their basic foundation is opposing anything endorsed by experts/authority figures. They show the emotional range and judgement skill of a two year old.

Date: July 06, 2020 04:55AM

> Funny how the people who get all pissy about masks
> seem to be the same people who get all pissy about
> not being able to take hydroxychloroquine, and
> will get all pissy about taking a vaccine. Their
> basic foundation is opposing anything endorsed by
> experts/authority figures. They show the emotional
> range and judgement skill of a two year old.

This paragraph is trenchant. It explains the anti-elitism that has surged through a lot of rich democracies, tearing down national institutions and preparing the way for the Huey Longs and Mussolinis of the 21st century, who in their "red versus expert" enthusiasm leave their countries vulnerable to more competent authoritarians.

History repeats itself. People throw away competence and opt for the charismatic leadership of charlatans and thugs. We've been here before. It didn't end well.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 05:43AM

Masks are just common sense. If talking or coughing spews virus-spreading droplets, doesn’t it make sense to catch them in a cloth? You need a scientific study to prove it will reduce transmission about as much as you need a study that proves drinking a few beers will get you drunk.

The anti-mask phenomenon is quite a spectacle. It shows the power of a contrarian demagogue. As a reality TV actor, Trump is doing his job. So much for the Messianic hopes of his base. It’s ironic that Mormon mythology has a story about a corrupt king (Noah) corrupting his people. You could say the same of JS.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 09:18AM

This has to be true or why else would the particular regulations be put in

COVID-19 is the strangest virus I've ever heard of. It's very dangerous the way it spreads. It is so mysterious the way it lurks in schools, but then dies at Home Depot.

It can wreak havoc in churches; and praying people are exceptionally vulnerable! Although it’s Mind-boggling how it vanishes when people stand close together holding signs during marches and protests. Yet, standing to watch a marathon or a concert triggers its wrath.
It is sneaky. It can spread when buying clothes at Kohl's but not at Target.

It is non-alcoholic. It can't spread when you are buying beer or liquor. It lives for two days on Amazon boxes, so you must wait 48 hours to touch them, but It can't survive on Dunkin' Donuts coffee cups, so enjoying a hot cup of Joe is safe.

It is the most curious thing, how it lives on basketballs, baseball bats and ballet bars, but dies on WWE ropes and Walmart shopping carts.

It is spread by hair stylists, dog groomers, and dentists, but not by bank tellers, cashiers, and fast food workers.

It's so smart. It won’t bother the first 10 people but it knows when the 11th person shows up , so be careful if that’s you.

It even knows what you want versus what you need. If you want a massage or your nails done, it is very actively on the prowl and not even a mask can stop it . If you need a plumber, it is weak, and a mask will keep it away.

It also seems to be more dangerous after 5:00 pm , so businesses must start to close before the virus comes out and wreaks havoc upon the people .

Thank goodness we have so many politicians, media pundunts and The World Health Organization to sort these matters out for us, and then instruct us how to proceed.

Honestly, Who ever heard of such a smart sneaky virus?

Date: July 06, 2020 09:23AM

Covid doesn't care about your silly opinions. It will still kill you.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 11:18AM

No, mostly is will just mess you up for life. Like Mormonism.

Date: July 06, 2020 11:46AM

If you are dead is your life messed up ?

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 10:09AM

"It can wreak havoc in churches"

You should have stopped there. Everything else in your post was a fine example of what's wrong with this country. Just as with the poster xxMooO, your attempt at snark collapses from the sheer weight of its ignorance.

Covidiocracy at its best.

Date: July 06, 2020 10:34AM

Don’t forget, the virus is able to travel 6 feet, but it is powerless to travel 6 feet and 1 inch!

It truly is quite remarkable!

Date: July 06, 2020 12:01PM

"but it is powerless to travel 6 feet and 1 inch!" ... another "statistic" you have pulled out of your ass again ?

Date: July 06, 2020 12:12PM

>another "statistic" you have pulled out of your ass again ?

Pulling stats out of one’s derrière is something WHO excels at, actually, but that’s besides the point.

The point is, the magic 6-foot social distancing circle is ridiculous. Will you get upset at me if I stand 5 feet away from you? How about if I stand 7 feet away? Why, can’t the virus travel a little further than the arbitrary 6-foot force field WHO came up with? LOL.

You remind me of Mormons who wait until midnight on a Sunday to order a pizza because the Holy Guest says it’s OK at 12:01 AM but not a moment before.

Date: July 06, 2020 12:14PM

So WHO's stats are a hoax ?

Date: July 06, 2020 12:23PM

On January 14, 2020, the WHO tweeted:

“Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China,”

Oops.

Yeah, when they repeatedly take Chinese claims at face value, I tend to be a little sceptical.

Date: July 06, 2020 12:25PM

so human-to-human transmission is a hoax ?

Posted by: Zeeeeezeom ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 12:34PM

No. Learn to read. WHO put out a tweet (quoted above) that literally told millions of people that human to human transmission does not happen with Covid-19 based solely on China’s word.

And then they told everyone not to close their borders to China because that was “racist”, at China’s behest.

And then then spent two weeks debating what the virus should be called, as not to offend Chinese sensibilities.

And they still cannot decide if the virus survives on surfaces, if it’s airborne, what the infection rate is, if it’s been mutating yet, how long it’s even been circulating, etc etc etc.

WHO cannot be trusted. It’s got a track record of receipt and corruption that puts the good old Mormon church to shame.

Date: July 06, 2020 12:35PM

Edit: “deceit”, not “receipt.”

Date: July 06, 2020 12:36PM

So you have a fixation on WHO and also not wearing masks ?

Date: July 06, 2020 12:48PM

No I do not, but you sure seem to have a “fixation” for subservience toward any type of authority figure who tell you Big Words and Fancy Numbers at Very Important Meetings.

That leads me to wonder how you even left the Mormon church in the first place.

Why do you continue to put your blind trust in an organization with such a sketchy track record, Dave? It’s plain the WHO is corrupt – as always, Google is your friend. ;-)

Date: July 06, 2020 12:36PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 12:37PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 06, 2020 02:40PM

You reach back five months for a quotation and then pretend that nothing since has changed.

What a remarkable, head-in-the-sand, fool.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 11:26AM

>>COVID-19 is the strangest virus I've ever heard of. It's very dangerous the way it spreads. It is so mysterious the way it lurks in schools, but then dies at Home Depot.

As a teacher of elementary aged children, I've had children literally sneeze in my face. I've never had that happen had Home Depot. I've also often seen children spew vomit over their desk and the nearby floor, because (surprise!) children can get sick quickly and sometimes violently. I've also often cleaned up that vomit myself because the building custodian can take an hour or two to get to your classroom. Again, I've never had that happen at Home Depot.

Some students are not big on following rules given in school. The kids I've seen in Home Depot are with their parents and appear under control.

I've seen parents send very sick kids to school because we are their day care. Send that child to the nurse with a raging fever, and suddenly the parent's phone is out of commission. Does Home Depot do sick child care?

Teachers do have legitimate concerns about going back to school.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 01:29PM

I can confirm this. My daughter is a high school (lycée) teacher. That's difficult enough, but SMALL children? That's impossible to control.

Date: July 06, 2020 01:45PM

In a *good* year, I might get one or two colds. So as weird as it sounds, I'm trying to think of CV-19 as the worst possible "cold" that I don't want to get. Social distancing, yes. Small groups of kids only, yes (I'm very fortunate that my current job is amenable to working with no more than 5-6 students at a time.) I was thinking today that I will wear a mask *and* a face shield. And I will have a box of surgical masks for kids that have some kind of mask emergency.

My district may give teachers the option to do online only, but that's a terrible option for my low-income students, and not a great fit for my skill set. But it's under consideration.

I have a concern due to my age (early 60s,) but IMO the young, new teachers are also in danger. New teachers' immune systems are not up to speed for the myriad of germs that young children carry with them. The first year or two, the new teachers come down with everything. Experienced teachers will have a bad year every now and then, but it's less likely than with a new teacher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 01:50PM by summer.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 10:41AM

I really really like when a moniker actually tells the story before the text even appears.

Date: July 06, 2020 11:54AM

Date: July 06, 2020 01:40PM

Here in France, the line (and I believe, the truth) is that wearing a mask protects OTHER people more than the wearer by reducing the SPREAD of the virus (although obviously not 100%. We're talking probabilities here). It is therefore a question of courtesy, respect and solidarity with other human beings. If we all wear masks, we are all protected.

If there are many people like Zeeeeezrom who don't observe that courtesy and do not respect other people, the efficacy of the mask falls because Zeeeeezroms are spreading the virus.

It's not rocket science., but please don't get it the wrong way round. People who wear a mask are protecting other people. People who don't are endangering other people.

How anyone can put politics into that, I have difficulty understanding. It's not a question of freedom, just of discipline.

Tom in Paris

Now (forced) back in the office and working all day, every day with a mask. Yes, it's a real pain in the neck and no fun at all, but it's necessary.

Date: July 06, 2020 01:47PM

There is also growing evidence that it offers the wearer some protection as well -- a mask can filter anything from a third of micro particles for the wearer on up, depending on the quality. See my NPR link above.

Posted by: The Lone Ranger ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 01:43PM

I never go without one.

Posted by: Darth Vader ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 01:43PM

Me neither.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 02:04PM

I agree a lot with what Z man is saying. However, the power of 'belief/faith' is strong, with some, and could really make masks more effective than they may be. So I am in favor and wear a mask --- when in public and cannot easily social distance

As far as WHO and main stream science----- they have been back and forth on this issue and critiqued by many other scientists. What would you expect from propagandists.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 02:06PM by spiritist.

Date: July 06, 2020 02:50PM

So scientists are propagandists ?

Date: July 06, 2020 02:57PM

Who are you going to believe? The experts of someone who thinks the dead tell him how to invest in the stockmarkets?

Date: July 06, 2020 03:19PM

Yes, some and you are in a 'cult' if you think they are 'like a God'!!

Date: July 06, 2020 03:27PM

Name a scientist who is a propagandist.

Date: July 06, 2020 03:49PM

Do you want me to start with WHO a China puppet, Dr. Fauci, then Gretta the 'mad pean European', the Science guy, Al Gore, etc. etc,.

Some of Fauci's blunders!! https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/04/fauci-fun-facts-dr-faucis-aids-predictions-also-way-off-mark/

Why be 'idiots' --- if they don't know because they have no 'convincing' evidence --- just say I don't know. Not propagandists!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 03:51PM by spiritist.

Date: July 06, 2020 03:51PM

Call your doctor immediately. You need his help.

Posted by: good grief ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 03:59PM

The Gateway Pundit: "A far-right political website that publishes false and misleading content. The Gateway Pundit regularly distorts information and occasionally spreads conspiracy theories."

https://www.newsguardtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/The-Gateway-Pundit-NewsGuard-Nutrition-Label.pdf

Really helping your credibility there, dude. Seriously, when you're in a hole, it's best to stop digging.

Date: July 06, 2020 05:16PM

Sounds 'ad-hominin' ---- why not when you can't research and find any 'idiotic' facts from anywhere!!!

I understand completely!

Posted by: good grief ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 05:42PM

Did your curly blond 6' spirit guide tell you that?

I think I've found your problem. Inbreeding.

"For example, my current wife was my mother in a past life and my father was my current son. I married my current granddaughter in a past incarnation."

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1987871,1988382#msg-1988382

So you married your mother, who then gave birth to your father. Does that make you your own grandpaw? And marrying your granddaughter… you could be a mormon prophet!

Sounds like your part of the afterlife is equivalent to 1871 Kentucky. I'm torn whether to think of you as Li'l Spirit Abner or Spirit Snuffy Smith.

ROFL

Date: July 06, 2020 04:00PM

A list of comments, some of which may be genuine.

But you lose that tiny sliver of your remaining credibility when you state that in March 2020 an unscientific opinion poll of physicians found that Hydroxychloroquine was "the most highly rated treatment for the novel coronavirus."

Subsequent studies conducted scientifically rather than by an opinion poll indicate that your claim is flat wrong, that in fact Hydroxy has virtually no effect on the virus but as the rather unfortunate side effect of killing people.

I'm starting to think you are like Concerned Citizen and others who find a headline and link to it without actually reading what it says. You did that the other day, for instance, when you linked to that interview with Utts in the mistaken belief that she agreed with you when in fact she rejected your remote viewing claims. Now you cite an article from three months ago quoting a disproven opinion poll from four months ago as if nothing has happened in the meantime.

You should give up links. Your unsubstantiated and utter BS is more credible than your transparent use of bad sources.

Date: July 06, 2020 03:32PM

Some of us have no choice but membership in the cult of science, for we lack the ability to learn the truth from dead people or via remote viewing techniques that the CIA's own experts describe as sheer bunk.

Pity us, O Seer.

Date: July 06, 2020 05:19PM

At least you admit that you are in a 'cult' --- moron Mormons don't!!

Date: July 06, 2020 07:12PM

Whoosh!

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 04:11PM

I'm out of sight when I'm wearing a mask... of course I am when I'm not, as well, but that's neither here nor there. Well, some people tend to think they are-anyway. Say hi and they say - or think to themselves - you can't see me so I don't hear you and so I don't respond (+ I'm afraid [of everything and everybody]).

I don't wear one to sleep and I don't wake up with one on either. Everyday is Halloween (with some people), if you know what I mean.

I thought I saw a raccoon with one on the other day but I'm not too sure. It climbed up a tree when I pulled up [as me].

MANY more have C-19 than anybody knows, testing shows. More testing shows more people have it. Tens of thousands of people transmit it everyday. People are living. And dying. That's what they (we) do.

Masks are the placebo; they make some feel better so EVERYBODY, in some places, has/ is supposed to/ is expected to wear them (namely when in close proximity with others, especially).

Some states have mandatory mask mandates (anyone want to date? I'm a man. Anyway...) put into place when some parts of a state run out of beds. I've just run out of bedbugs, as a matter of fact (or fiction). I'll run in and get some more red spores of bed sores in the super stores.

States open up and close and open an unended disaster. Look at what everyone is doing, or not doing.

People invariably wear them for three reasons: (1) because suggested, told to, forced/ law, governor's orders, etc.; (2) to be/ feel safer, more protected/ make others feel more protected, etc.; (3) to look better, to fit in, social acceptance, avoid harassment, torment, ostracization, jail, hell, etc.

There is a mask making contest I may enter. What fun! Summer!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 05:04PM

Not sure if this sounds like James Joyce, or a Sesame Street writer after a stroke.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 07:48PM

So, I have been keeping up with what Simon Southerton puts up on his FB because he knows a bit about that there science stuff. Plus, he has no skin in the game. There is someone that keeps posting the same kind of woo Zeeeeezrom has put here. Simon put him out btw. It is so similar I wonder if it is the same person since they are exmo of a kind. I went down the rabbit hole a bit and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Next layer down is WHO, Illuminati, Globalism and "Jewish Elite". Epstein is still alive and an Israeli asset as is the CIA. The reason we are being "conditioned" to wear masks is because our handlers are teaching us to accept their directions without question. The medical numbers are all made up. Those are actors in the hospitals people. Can't you SEE that?!? Anti Vaxers mix in. The Dems and Repubs are really all in it together. Oh and the UN has cut the world into slices to be ruled. Gates is behind it all too and is planning on making us go to digital currency and micro chip us all. Quite entertaining in a train wreck kind of way. Oh and I forgot the satanism. The Globalists/Illuminati are all satanists.

Yes, I had wine and popcorn.

No amount of scientific evidence will make diddly for difference. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sealioning

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.