Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: July 03, 2020 10:23PM

EOD,

Did you know anyone who came home early from your mission? One of our initial group in country, a junior comp in my second area, simply refused to go out and tract. He sat in the yard of the boarding house until the mission home authorized return travel. But I always wondered if he really left.

Our mission printed 4-page Christmas greetings, including a picture list of the president's family and every elder and sister. I didn't see anyone drop off the final Xmas card except for the sisters, who finished about September of 1976.

Cuz X

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 12:44AM

Well, now you're gone and done it...

I have all kinds of stories to tell, and many, many of them are probably close to being true stories!

Your direct question's answer is that while I didn't know a missionary who was released early for 'cause', there was a rumor running through my mission that a guy had just been sent home for having sex. If I was told his name, I don't recall it, but I'd never met him, which is understandable given that at that time my mission covered 1/4 of Mexico. This was during my final transfer, in mid-1967.

I was released about three weeks early, but more about that in a bit. First I want to ride one of my favorite Exmo hobby horses:

The Change from D-day to P-day!

I'm pretty sure I know why it happened, but I remain curious as to who came up with the idea and when and where it first started.

D-day, Diversion Day, was a complete day off from being a missionary. We didn't have name tags back them, so once we changed into civvies, we were anonymous. In my mission, D-Day started Sunday, after Sacrament Meeting and ended midnight on Monday. And we totally diverted ourselves. But that wasn't such a big deal, because we went to movies during the week.

I was released three weeks early so that I could register in later September as a mid-semester entrant at BYU. Ever hear of such a thing? I joined an already existing class, but was only responsible for learning the material from the time I was there. Obviously this didn't work in STEM classes!

And it was to beat the Draft. I went directly from a 4-D exemption to a 2-S exemption and my Draft board couldn't touch me. The church flew me from Mexico City to SLC, where a BYU van met me, took me to the campus, I registered, was driven back to SLC and took a plane home to Las Vegas and got released the next and then took a Greyhound back to Provo.

The church was all about saving its sons from the rigors of combat and lose women.

And then after losing my 2-S when I turned 24, and I got the notice for my Draft physical, it was arranged for me to see an Orthopedic doc who found that I had Spina Bifida Oculta. It sounded ominous! He wrote a letter that I took to the draft physical, with the expectation that it would get me listed as 4-F, but the Draft doctor (obviously not mormon) laughed it off, which is what medical science actually says about Spina Bifida Oculta.

I seriously think the church was grooming me for bigger things. I think they pick a bunch of guys out and then wait to see what happens. In my case, talk about lacking vision and inspiration!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 01:40AM

Lot wanted to go on a mission but he had bone spurs.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 01:44AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I seriously think the church was grooming me for
> bigger things. I think they pick a bunch of guys
> out and then wait to see what happens. In my
> case, talk about lacking vision and inspiration!

I think they were anticipating the need for worthy Lammanite apostles in the 21st Century.

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 06:41PM

Hombre! I like that Diversion Day concept! I was reading some of my letters home last week and I remembered how, in the beginning, we could listen to any kind of music on P-Day. At some point, our leadership had the brilliant idea that we should only listen to the Mo Tab. Such control issues!

By the way, I did one study abroad during a BYU spring term in Mexico. We lived in Prado Churubusco and studied near the metro line TaxqueƱa. The best part of being there was traveling around Mexico in our free time. It was one of the best experiences of my education at the Y. I only regret that I didn't do another such study in Europe.

Cuz X

Date: July 08, 2020 06:49PM

I started in Campestre Churubusco and got to end there!

I think that the rail line was on Calzada Tlalpan

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 06:47PM

I had fun in UT for 3 weeks and headed out to a US based mission.

I stayed out for a month and came home with the intention of never returning.

Got love bombed and the married a TBM girl who is still with me for some reason.

Odd...

Date: July 08, 2020 06:51PM

Lowpriest Wrote:
------------------------------------

> Got love bombed and then
> married a TBM girl who is
> still with me for some reason.

Handcuffs?

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 06:54PM

But at least not physically...

Lots of mental and emotional binds...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.