Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 11:49AM

I have been thinking a lot over the last few months about recovery and I have come to the conclusion that what I need is occupational therapy. I need something to do besides obsess over the damage that Mormonism has done to me.
So I said to my self, Self what can you do. And Self said "Hey man you are a great bookkeeper. Start your bookkeeping/accounting business again and move forward."
So that is what I am going to do. In order to divert my attention away from the damaging effects of the religion I am, after 10years, re opening my bookkeeping/accounting business here in Tucson Arizona.
Will everybody please wish me luck?
Actually in August I am going to move to Ogden Utah and I intend to pursue my goal there

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 09:22PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 12:04PM

My thoughts and prayers are with your books.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 12:04PM

I wish you the best of luck, but you sound focused and dedicated, so you probably won't need it :)

And bookkeeping is good, libraries are very important! /s

Date: July 09, 2020 12:08PM

What I referred to were my accounting skills

Date: July 09, 2020 12:13PM

What I was referring to was bookkeeping/accounting

Date: July 09, 2020 02:27PM

I know. As crazy as it may sound, I was being sarcastic about the library, but not about wishing you luck.

You see, I very much enjoy word play, metaphors, sarcasm, etc.

Date: July 10, 2020 04:04PM

Logogasms.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 12:37PM

"/s" means turning on - turning off silliness or sarcasm.

I know it's hard to believe that Roy would be silly, but what can I say...

Date: July 09, 2020 02:28PM

Silly is my middle name! Even though it doesn't start with "G".

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 02:38PM

Jesus' middle name doesn't start with an "H" either. Funny thing, that.

Date: July 09, 2020 03:13PM

Jesus' middle name starts with a "T"....Jesus The Christ.

He actually has 2 first names....Even Jesus The Christ.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 12:56PM

Best of luck with your new venture!! I went back to work a couple of years ago after around 10 years being retired. It is great to know that my mind skills and business acumen are still sharp, I just don't move around as fast. LOL!!

I really enjoyed my time living in Tucson after I graduated from BYU in the early '80's. I lived on the east side (Broadway and Old Spanish Trail) when it was the edge of town. Used to work in the silver mining industry and would stay a couple of days a week in Eastern, AZ (Safford/Thatcher/Duncan area). Spent a lot of time traveling through southern AZ towns like Tombstone, Bisbee, Benson, etc. I loved it. Hope to settle in the the GREAT state of Arizona in the future and I have my sights set on the Prescott area.

Good luck with your numbers business!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 01:00PM

I think everyone needs hobbies or other ways to stay busy. If that is what works for you, go for it!

Date: July 09, 2020 09:18PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think everyone needs hobbies or other ways to
> stay busy. If that is what works for you, go for
> it!
Thank you summer

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 01:13PM

I just heard today there's a lot of interest in looking at business and financial records. :-) :-) :-)

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 01:25PM

Before I supply my comments, let me state up front that I am not now nor have ever been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My brother's ex is one; so is my niece by that short marriage; and so is a woman with whom I used to work with (and who I was considering dating before investigating the religious angle), meaning your former church has affected me and my life.

That out of the way, I strongly suspect that Mormonism, unlike my former religion of Roman Catholicism, really places a very strong hold on one, primarily through the behavior of one's family and friends as well as the bishops and others who this church assigns to you to keep you indoctrinated in the faith. Mormons appear to exist in a world of their own, even if they live among outsiders. Their entire lives revolve around their church.

What I'm saying is that when you leave, the process is, in many cases (and I suspect yours is one of them) very similar to what happens when a loved one dies--you grieve for the loss.

And that brings me to my next point. When my father died in 2001, my mother grieved openly for quite a while. She sat in the house for the next two years and did almost nothing. Then she started doing things again. Yet, as she has told me, she has never "forgotten" or "gotten over" her late husband. Rather, she still remembers him but compartmentalizes that memory so that she can move on with her life.

I would argue that what my mom did with my late father's memory you must do with Mormonism; that is, you must learn to accept it as part of your life and grieve for the losses you incurred when you left it, especially those of family and friends. Like the death of a loved one, you will probably never be able to wholly "get over it", but in time and at your own speed, you will learn to accept what it did to you and to move on with your life. And I think immersing yourself in accounting and bookkeeping is a good thing as long as you don't have the expectation that this subject will make you forget Mormonism. If you can accept that it won't do that but that it will assist in making the memory of your former religion easier to bear, then I think that you are on the right track and good luck to you!

Date: July 09, 2020 01:28PM

What a most excellent response.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 01:38PM

You always have very thoughtful replies, blindguy.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 04:09PM

I am either not strong enough or I am just human enough to need something to take the place of thinking about mormonism.

What better way than to do something positive by you?

Wishing you well on your new adventure and if anything it is something you are trying to do to better your life.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 05:18AM

Some may think it is strange but I rather liked the bit of bookkeeping I learned/used. It is satisfying to have everything total correctly and draw that double line under it. We have a CPA we have had to use from time to time and she NEVER does round numbers. Even guesstimates she wants to run as close to the penny as possible and she really enjoys it! I have to go see her after tax season (yay did my own) and I am looking forward to it. I think this is a good plan for you. I don't envy you the moving though!

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 07:09PM

Good luck DS. May your new venture be profitable.

Posted by: Adam the empath ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 01:06PM

I was actually thinking something similar to redirect myself from all things mormonism including not coming on the rfm board to remind me of that horrible past in that operation. Sure i would miss the old dog and a few others but i am quite confident they would be alright without my input. I just hope i am not messed up or wounded forever you know? Damage from mormonism takes a while to heal, at least for me it has taken a while.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.