Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hujo2MAGA ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 06:06PM

(I'll start this off like a mormon talk)

Hello everyone, for those of you who don't know me I'm an exmo teen that's 14 (almost 15). I live in a fairly strict mormon household and I'm about to make a huge decision.
I'm the youngest in my school grade (going to be a sophomore) but with corona, I can repeat my freshman year. I would have to be homeschooled for the repeat year, but with only 4ish classes. I have lots of opportunity with this route, like day trading with stocks, going to football camps, ect. The reason I'm considering repeating is because 1, I can be a total beast on the football field, 2, I can be the oldest instead of the youngest, 3, I can do whatever the f*** I want senior year, and 4, I don't have to chill at home till I'm 18 and can move out. Theres far more pros and cons, but the main thing I'm worried about it that in homeschool I'll become "awkward" and a "ch*de", or even possibly converted back to mormonism. I don't think that would happen, thanks to this site and another blog I like-
(masculine development.com) but it's still a legit concern. I see a lot of good happening, but I can have a better high school life, but graduate later, or just bite the bullet and push through with being extremllley young.

What do you guys think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 06:25PM

If I've read your post correctly, then the mixed emotions I'm feeling are legitimate...

I was like you are now, the youngest in my grade. I graduated from high school three months after I turned 17. Back when the U of U was on the quarter system, I finished almost two quarters as, technically, a minor. Big ha-ha in my fraternity about how I couldn't get laid because the girl could get arrested for messing with a juvenile. (Getting laid..., wow, is that still the mine field that it was back when the stick shift was on the steering column?)

I don't know what I would have done had I had the opportunity that you have now. I probably would not have accepted it, because of the friendships I had made, all via the church, and especially early morning seminary.

And then there's the issue of your driver's license. That was pure anguish for that last about eight months when everyone was mobile and I was dependent on having someone pick me up. If you do stay back, you'll be in synch with your classmates as you all get your driver's licenses around the same time.

But on principle, yeah, not being the youngest, and having another year of growth and maturity, I can see the appeal that those advantages seem to have.

But as I said, I'm quite certain I would not have abandoned my cohort. In the long run I can say that I don't think it made any difference.

Date: July 16, 2020 06:43PM

Getting laid is definitely a goal hahaha. More time to mess around (especially with a car ;p) Don't worry anyone who sees this, I'll USE PROTECTION I PROMISE lmao. I'm sure I can make new friends, and I don't really like my current teammates anyway. (Some are complete d*ckheads) Thanks for the advice

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 07:07PM

I know, you're not going to like this comment, but have you talked to your parents about it? It has nothing to do with Mormonism, but with you and where you are and where you want to go. They know you best, and would have an insight into your life that we, here, do not have.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best now and in the future.

Date: July 16, 2020 07:43PM

I've obviously consulted my parents and they're cool with me staying back a year. The reason I consult you guys is because of the exemormon part of it that they can't know about.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 07:16PM

Staying back to roll things in your favor means you are concentrating on the present.

Pushing through early means you are concentrating on the future and ready to see what is next.

Day trading means you are nuts and naive. :)

I don't know what a "ch*de" is which means I am out of touch with modern culture. I'm sure our derogatory words are better anyway. :)again.

Covid is going to be hovering around for a long time ruining dances and parties and football games. No Prom for you mister.

You could learn as much as you can as fast as you can and be ready for whatever this world is going to throw at you next after you get your drive-by graduation ceremony on your front lawn.

There is no wrong decision. Go with what what feels good. But hey. I'm just a big Pollyanna. You'll probably have to look that up?

Date: July 16, 2020 07:47PM

I'm actually pretty future oriented lol. Day trading actually isn't that naive, if you know how to do it lol. Ch*de is a d*ck wider than long, but it's compared to a soy boy. Covid in my opinion is pretty political. We'll have a vaccine soon though. Check out the vaccine news -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-final-phase-testing/

I did look up big Pollyanna and still no clue haha. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: jc ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 08:06PM

You need to watch the 1960 Disney movie, "Pollyanna" staring Hayley Mills (who also played identical twins in the 1961 movie "Parent Trap"). It's got a great message. Then you'll understand the reference.

Date: July 16, 2020 08:09PM

Haha. Now I had to look up "soy boy." Man I am learning a lot from you haha. Don't know where I will ever use these new, uh, terms---but good know!

Pollyanna----ridiculously optimistic. Which I can only pretend to be occasionally. Looking on the bright side often trips me up.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 08:16PM

Chode (also spelled choad) is a dick that's wider than it is long, aka a dick nobody likes. Chodes can be identified by loud, obnoxious behavior meant to compensate. Examples of chodeish behavior include: driving a truck or SUV jacked up beyond what's reasonable, an obsession with pre-workout and fitness drinks (BTW, "Soylent powder is people!") , making derogatory comments about women, a tendency to use the term "soy boy*" and the phrase "facts don't care about your feelings."

*"Soy boy" is a term used by assholes to describe males who don't conform to the asshole lifestyle. Things that can get one labled a "soy boy" include: reading books, not doing crossfit, being nice to people, showing signs of intelligence.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 08:21PM

> Examples of chodeish behavior
> include: driving a truck or SUV jacked up beyond
> what's reasonable, an obsession with pre-workout
> and fitness drinks . . , making derogatory comments about
> women, a tendency to use the term "soy boy*" and . . .

. . . running for president.

Date: July 16, 2020 08:23PM

HA AHAH hahahahah HA!

Date: July 16, 2020 08:33PM

Incorrect, soy boy is a guy who lacks masculine traits. And, facts don't care about your feelings is 100% true. Call me a chode if you wish, but thats not how we (teens) use the word chode or soy boy.

Date: July 16, 2020 08:51PM

Kid, I've been using choad as an insult long before you. The actual definition of choad is "1. A penis, especially one that is short and thick. 2. A loser or undesirable person; an insulting name. 3. The perineum."

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/choad

And from what I've seen of the guys who use "soy boy" in a sentence, they consider masculinity and assholery the same thing. I'm going to go easy on you as you're a teen and you might grow out of it. Just realize that being a domineering jackass and being a man aren't the same thing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 08:51PM

What ought to be my response if someone driving a jacked-up truck calls me a soy beaner?

Date: July 16, 2020 09:17PM

I recommend not giving the asshole the satisfaction of a response. Or give him the finger. Whatever's your style.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 10:36PM

Tell him you'll eat his liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti!

Date: July 16, 2020 11:47PM

You win.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 08:10PM

Hujo, what was your grade point average for 9th grade?

Date: July 16, 2020 08:31PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 01:19AM

Academics are not a concern then. I would press forward. Ninth grade is often a very tough year for students, so if you did well already, there's no reason to repeat it.

I do think that Corona is a concern, however. Has your school district made a call on that yet? As a teacher, my recommendation to parents is to keep students at home for the first half of the year if possible. If you are living in an area with a very low transmission rate, then that might not be as much of a factor. But if you are in Utah, be mindful that Dr. Fauci said that Utah could become an emerging hot spot.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 09:15PM

I had the same choice you have. In my family, it was the thing to skip first grade. All but one of my five siblings and I did that.

When I reached the end of eighth grade, a high school football coach recommended to my parents that I spend an extra year in eighth grade so that I wouldn't be the youngest kid on the football field, and because the first-string quarterback position on the junior varsity team was already taken. At that time, only four years of high school athletic eligibility was allowed in my state. The only way to red-shirt was to remain in eighth grade an extra year.

My parents gave me their opinions. They told me that remaining in eighth grade an extra year would be placing far too much emphasis on sports, but if being a big man on the football field and on campus was truly important to me, they wouldn't stand in my way.

In the end, I didn't take the coach's recommendation. I went on to ninth grade (freshman year) as a thirteen-year-old. I was never higher than second-string on the football teams. I sat the bench on the basketball team, and I played right field (only because I was a decent hitter) and was a relief pitcher on rare occasions on the baseball team.

I started university at seventeen years and three months, and had all the privileges of being adult (except for the mission experience, where all missionaries are treated pretty much like ten-year-olds) from that point forward. I got a one-year head start on my life as a result of not having repeated a grade. With AP courses and summer university courses, which I was allowed to take because my dad was a prof at the time, I was able to erase the two-year deficit created by the mission and to begin my professional life officially on time. If you don't serve a mission, you won't have that deficit in the first place.

Not repeating a grade worked well for me, and I'm glad I did things as I did. You, of course, should do what is best for you. Do consider that if college and/or university are in your plans, you typically get the privilege of living without parental restrictions early if you graduate high school early.

I hope you have a plan for earning money other than day trading.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2020 09:20PM by scmd1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.