Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 10:13PM

http://ldsliving.com/story/78338-see-what-president-monsons-house-looks-like-the-homes-of-other-latter-day-prophets

Somehow I think this is not all there is to it. I remember seeing a picture of Dieter's home away from home cabin and it didn't look humble. So doesn't Monson have other property?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 10:40PM

GAs have been going there for over 100 years. A lot of them fled there during the 1880s, when evading jail time for polygamy.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 11:21PM

You want to know what really makes me upset... It isn't the opulence that they live in; but more of how they expect their followers to pay.

Let's take a look at much it costs a Senior Missionary Couple per month:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwTAbOS1jDMiSzN4TlV1U3BTcjA/view

On pages 10-11: You can see that it costs between $1800-$2800 per month for a couple. These people are filling jobs which used to be paid professional jobs.

Seniors spending their retirement funds to fill jobs taken from others?!?! The church also requests that Seniors and every member remember to bequeath funds to the corporation in their wills.

So tithing, fast offerings, building funds, special requests, now free labor and inheritance in wills, does it ever stop with these lying thieves???

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 02:11AM

Is there a 2014 / 2015 version for mission prices?

Posted by: amyjomeg ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 11:50PM

Yeppers, follow the money trail all the way to the top!

When visiting St. George, Utah in January I was really impressed with the pioneer heritage of that small but thriving community.

Brigham Young was its first "snowbird." He had St. George's first really posh residence for his day and age, where he could escape the harsher winter climate up north in Salt Lake to retreat to his paradise home in St. George.

It had all the opulence of a pioneer home and then some. Nearby in the downtown historic district is a one room house built by another early pioneer named Clarence Jones. Who would have naturally donated at least 10% of his income and personal property to the church, like the other saints did then and now.

While Clarence lived year round with his wife and children in a one room shanty, Brigham lived like royalty in comparison! One of his 55 wives was a nurse. She was the one that would accompany him to his winter getaway year after year from SLC to Saint George.

That must've been some hard life for the "prophet," while his sheeple supported him in the manner to which he became accustomed. Just think it might've been Joseph in his stead if not for that certain setback in Nauvoo?!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 12:04AM

they always portray leaders to be 'between the goal-posts', not at the extremes of things.

Besides, who would blame the leader of a $ multi-billion world-wide corp a few luxuries?

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 02:05AM

Interesting post EB although your great grandfather lived in relative comfort at 1002 Douglas St. SLC,UT 84105- Pres.Hugh B.Brown however had a long career as a Canadian military officer and also in the oil industry-Monson has spent most of his life on the church payroll, like Hinckley before him.

Date: March 26, 2015 12:45PM

so true. That house was custom made for him. He had an Oriental rug that was like 35 feet by 25 feet. That house had a huge living room and then only two bedrooms down a hall.

It was tiny if you looked at living space. I thought it was the strangest house I had ever spent much time in.

My grandmother got the house after her father died. She lived in it until she moved to that swag assisted living place in Jamestown Provo.

The kitchen was small. The two bedrooms were small and the one bathroom upstairs was small. I could stretch my legs out onto the tub when I was on the pot.

It was really old too. I think it was built in the 30s? It is gone now. After my grandmother moved my father sold it for $400,000 and it was raised to have a mansion built.

My father's siblings kept hounding him for that cash while grandma was alive. What a mess. Her assisted living cost a lot per month and I think she burned through all that money.

And another interesting story about 1002 Douglas St. SLC,UT 84105. My little brother and his wife lived in the unfinished basement (it had a little bedroom and bath only because my grandfather (the one grandma married after Rulon Jeffs) created them so he could not have to live with my grandmother in the same space) while my father was attempting to sell it.

My little brother complained to my family about how poorly he and his wife were treated in the rich ward. And he told them how many people hated that house and that it was an eye sore for the neighborhood which had been being upgraded for years.

Also, the house looked designed to entertain people. The living room was like a world traveler's salon. It had a baby grand piano in it that my sister basically stole by getting my grandmother to give it to her - she is Greg Hudnall's wife if anyone here knows who he is.

Date: March 26, 2015 12:47PM

lr2014 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pres.Hugh B.Brown
> however had a long career as a Canadian military
> officer and also in the oil industry-Monson has
> spent most of his life on the church payroll, like
> Hinckley before him.

And my father just (didn't just now but when my grandmother died in 2006) took over my grandmother's Exon Mobile dividends and didn't tell his siblings. It is a couple thousand a year I think. The first year he got them he bought my mother an ipad.

Also my grandmother's bathroom always had to be pink. My mother always complained about how old it was and awful the color was. Guess what color her bathroom was the last time I was at my parent's house - pink.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 12:50PM by Elder Berry.

Date: March 26, 2015 02:05PM

I never ever looked to see what replaced it.

Here it is.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1002+Douglas+St,+Salt+Lake+City,+UT+84105/@40.747348,-111.855152,3a,75y,275.37h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stMl-0qXJ0G59uyqd3CZyHQ!2e0!4m7!1m4!3m3!1s0x87525ff892c09b77:0xf790b325854f7ea6!2s1002+Douglas+St,+Salt+Lake+City,+UT+84105!3b1!3m1!1s0x87525ff892c09b77:0xf790b325854f7ea6!6m1!1e1

I bet it is huge and looks small. The backyard drops off severely. Sometimes we would take our skateboards and sit on them and ride down to the detached garage.

The house looks small from the front but if they built into the backyard which wasn't too small than there is a lot more house than what you see from the front.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 05:03AM

page 6 of 'missionary opportunities' - a PEF missionary couple are members who have served in many leadership positions in the church and have often managed businesses.... and .....they love the youth of the church. They want to help them BREAK THE CHAIN OF POVERTY and prepare themselves to play a major role in the local wards and stakes because of their education and employment obtained with the help of PEF.

How's that for a prosperity gospel with a bit of blackmail thrown in to stay in church if chain of poverty is broken? Now you are not poverty stricken ,teach others the same and give it all to the church, well, at the very least 10%.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 11:34AM

His home is much more ostentatious and a lot less humble.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 01:34PM

When my grandmother was Monson's age, she had exhausted her once substantial retirement savings because she required care in an assisted living facility. My parents picked up the slack and paid for her care for several years at great expense to them until she died. They paid thousands in tithing at the same time as well. I think my grandmother's situation happens more often than not.

Monson doesn't have to dip into his own pocket for his care. Church members pay for it. It's the best care. It's far better than many others who reach his age will ever be able to afford. He will likely be able to leave a healthy inheritance to his family.

The fact that Monson still owns a house (any house) at his age means that he's living in greater wealth than most church members who are close to his age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 01:36PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 01:39PM

I remember reading that multiple "apostles" have homes at Red Ledges in Heber. If true, all of those homes are well over $1M.

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 03:50PM

Chump Wrote:
> I remember reading that multiple "apostles" have
> homes at Red Ledges in Heber. If true, all of
> those homes are well over $1M.

Dieters place indeed is in Red Cliffs east of heber, one of the selling points back in the day was each lot came with a Mercedes SUV. ( no Joke) Id think its value is closer to $2million by now.

I believe via property tax records Bednar and one other big red chair sitter had a lot there too.
correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 01:44PM

But don't look at his car.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 03:40PM

Monson has at least a $7 mil house in Pasedena.

Here is a listing of the top leader's holdings in Utah. They hide all of their stuff in trusts so this is all very likely understated. Finding their out of state holdings is even more difficult without inside information.

http://www.mormoninfographics.com/2013/11/land-of-lucre-real-estate-holdings-of.html

I guess "unpaid clergy with only a stipend" doesn't mean what the rest of the world thinks it means.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 03:41PM by onendagus.

Date: July 17, 2020 10:42AM

Uchdorf, Oaks, and Holland are sitting on the biggest "land banks" according to this site. I wonder how much of this was gifted to them and how much they bought of it before they ascended their apostolic thrones?

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 04:04PM

Funny, the page is no longer available.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 06:43PM

Heidi GWOTR Wrote:
> Funny, the page is no longer available.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

Mormons stand up for their faith until it becomes embarrassing.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 07:20PM

It was originally posted more than five years ago.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 01:47PM

The church used to own a nice ocean front property south of LA where GAs would go. Wonder if they still own it?

Date: July 17, 2020 03:05PM

kentish Wrote:
> The church used to own a nice ocean front property
> south of LA where GAs would go.

George Albert smith?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 06:45PM

Later than that. I recall hearing about it in about 71. It was located at San Clemente

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 10:19PM

Maybe the LDS mucky mucks hung out on the beach with Nixon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.