Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 04:42AM

Our mission president thought elders and sisters were too fat with all the good food to be had so decided to loop into our missionary handbook brain washing. We needed to eat less to have the spirit and thus missionary success.

When will they stop with all this salesman dogma crap? Whatever hurt it doesn't do to missionaries on their missions, will just magnify after they get home.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 09, 2020 04:42AM

oops that was a reply to develop eating disorder thread

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 07:27PM

A family member lost 60 pounds during mission. Ever since then, he has steadily gained weight. Either he cannot or will not slow down on the food intake, and now has insulin-dependent diabetes.

During his mission, the food was scanty, inadequate, and he acquired parasites that a local member tried to cure with herb tea. Only stern intervention from the mish's mother, an RN, convinced the mission pres to get "real" medical treatment.

He was warned when he was in the "pre-diabetic" phase, but could not or would not slow down with the fork-to-mouth behavior.

I wish we could sue the church. He wasn't like this before his mission, from all I've been able to find out. I know that there are others out there who have had permanent difficulties of one sort or another due to missions.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 11:47PM

Seqeunce isn't, in and of itself, proof of causation.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 11:48PM

Oh, yeah!?!

So then what causes marriage?

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 03:03PM

Why pregnancy of course.......

Date: July 03, 2020 11:59PM

Or possibly insanity. My wife was crazy to have married me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 04, 2020 12:23AM

How do you think EOD ended up with Saucie?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 05:08AM

Because saucie is crazy? That's what it sounds like you're saying. :)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 05:09AM

scmd1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or possibly insanity. My wife was crazy to have
> married me.

Au contraire mon ami. :)

Date: July 13, 2020 03:27AM

You're kind, Nightingale.

Date: June 29, 2020 02:24AM

According to this person's mother, he had always tended toward being "husky" or stocky, but never out-and-out heavy. Now, it is a constant struggle and two shots of insulin a day.

Part of it is that Mormons are denied many forms of "self-soothing" behavior. Sex is OK, provided that you are married. Alcohol, of course, is not. The occasional toke (which I have thought for a long time would be a GREAT solution),is forbidden.

So he eats. We have tried portion control, but he always goes back for more. Raids the refrigerator and the pantries. He will not consider a bariatric treatment program.

I HATE the Mormon church.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 12:07PM

I HATE the Mormon church

I think that hating the church is futile. HOWEVER hating the slavemaster tactics of people who have taken power in the organization is very appropriate.
Even though the Mormon Church is a corporation and therefore legally a person it is, in fact, an inanimate object and can not
think, speak, eat, drink, nor do anything independently.
However if the people who have taken power can frighten the members enough they will do whatever they are told.

Posted by: Adam the Empath ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 07:53PM

Indeed, it is the ultimate slave operation. I still struggle with making my own decisions on the outside. I will shock everyone in the end. I'm working out again. Which i think is a big deal. Warrior is getting in top shape.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 11:37AM

According to the CDC website, 72% of adult Americans are either overweight or obese, and 40% are obese. The overwhelming majority of them never went on a mission, so it seems like a stretch to blame this on Mormonism or a mission, especially if he was heavy as a teen.

It could be a metabolic/hormonal problem, or a general US cultural problem. Yes, it is difficult watching someone damaging their own health, and given the numbers, it is obviously difficult to change that behavior.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 12:49PM

The fact that he rapidly became insulin dependent probably has more to do with genetics than with eating disorder from mission food deprivation.

Are any other members of his family (parents, grandparents diabetic?)

Are any other members of his family large, with red or auburn hair?

There are definitive genes linked to developing insulin dependent T2 diabetes.

Date: July 01, 2020 01:40AM

To Hedning: "Yes" on both questions. Father was diabetic (totally non-compliant with dietary rules, as well as smoking and alcoholism) and mother had red hair. I don't know where the red hair comes into it, but it's there.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 01, 2020 11:36AM

My opinion is that excess eating is a symptom and not a cause of diabetes.

Date: July 04, 2020 12:05AM

Some chicken/egg scenarios are tough to pinpoint, and not necessarily the same in each case. I have seen numerous pre-diabetics who took the warnings seriously and made lifestyle changes in time to turn their health around and stave off full-blown T2 diabetes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 10:29AM

Well, you're the doc. :)

My working theory (and that's all it is,) is that diabetes is a three-legged stool in which diet, exercise, and medicine must all be in balance. If one are is out of whack, the stool topples over.

But IMO it's more the quality of diet than the quantity that is in question. IMO if the "stool" is in balance, the quantity of food will naturally adjust.

Again, just a hunch.

Date: July 10, 2020 07:17PM

It's a good hunch and a solidly working theory. The greatest chance for success, though, usually occurs when a person can make lifestyle changes before medicine for Type 2 diabetes is a necessity, For many pre-diabetics, diabetes is not inevitable.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 05:01AM

When dealing with diabetes or prediabetes it's not just what you eat or how much. It is also when. Everything has to work together for just the right balance. It is more like music or a dance than just a straight up diet.

Food can also be a big control issue. Same for.... uh, well let's just say that input and output are the two things that ultimately you are the one in control of. I have known kids that will go days when their parents are divorcing.

Date: July 12, 2020 07:55PM

The reality of me getting T2 diabetes is why i am working out almost everyday now.

Date: July 13, 2020 03:33AM

You're wise to work out while you still can as opposed to attempting to control it exclusively with diet and medication when you no longer have the capacity to work out. With diabetes being heavily progressive, the longer you can stave off its most grave effects, the better chance that something else will kill you before diabetes gets a chance . . . or, looking at it from a brighter perspective, the longer you will live.

Date: July 14, 2020 07:15PM

Yea my mother had T2 diabetes and i have seen it up close and i really do not want to go that route. Plus as we all know i don't like my mother and i do not want anything in common with her like T2 diabetes. An old friend noticed my weight loss today when she saw me. So what i am doing is working as far as losing weight goes.

Never paid attention to what i eat in my life as much as i do now.

Posted by: Adam Empath ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 07:16PM

Sorry i meant to say my mother still has diabetes probably but i did hold her funeral in my mind so i said had like past tense haha.

Date: July 18, 2020 03:24PM

It's great that you're taking control of matters that can be controlled.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 01, 2020 02:26PM

The Red Hair / Overweight phenotype for T2 apparently arises from mutations in the "Agouti" gene that codes for Melanocortin receptors that regulate hunger, feeding and energy homeostasis. There are other mutations directly linked to T2 diabetes.

Cut the guy a break, he is not "weak" but he is programmed to eat by his genes and destined to become diabetic.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 06:13PM

"Insulin dependent" T2 is largely a myth. It comes from the unfortunate attempt to treat it with insulin.

Doctors largely test for A1C and glucose, but not insulin levels. If you test a prediabetic for fasting insulin level you'll see higher than normal levels, meaning your beta cells in your pancreas are doing fine at producing insulin (very much unlike a T1, who can't make it at all).

Giving insulin to a type 2 will lower BG and A1C, which are the tests most insurance companies pay for, so docs call that a "Win". All that exogenous insulin only makes you less sensitive to insulin--just what you don't want as a T2. Insulin is the fat storage hormone. It also makes you hungry.

If you're a type 2 and your doc wants to give you insulin it means they're either out of date, they just don't care about you, or they have no confidence in you making the major lifestyle changes that can reverse it.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 01:18PM

If I may offer this:

Missions are often stressful and have been known to cause a variety of mental problems.

I would suggest a non LDS therapist. One that specializes is stress related disorders.

Remember this kid was placed in a stressful no win environment. Not given personal space. Ratted on by his companions. Put in a physically active environment with little sleep and inadequate nourishment.

Then returned to the world with little support adjusting. Probably with new stressors of getting married. Find a job and get education. And showing any sign of weakness or blaming the church/mission experience will brand him as unfaithful, unworthy and a failure.

Date: July 09, 2020 04:37AM

Heartless nailed it!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 10:19AM

Google “Minnesota Starvation Experiment.”

I’d attach it, but I have an attachment disorder.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 12:01PM

I developed PTSD after my mission - Priesthood Testosterone Stress Disorder. My mission emasculated me.

Date: July 09, 2020 03:51PM

lol Heartless that is hilarious!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 03:56PM

LOL, kathleen!

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 05:27PM

Our mission president didn't let him go home for his mother's funeral. He had ten months to go at that point, and the mission president told him that he wouldn't give him an "honorable release" if he went home.

By the time the next mission president came around, my companion was an emaciated mess. One of the senior couples reached out to the new mission president and explained the situation. My companion was sent home a few months early, but a hell of a lot of good that did - missing being with his mother before she died.

My first mission president was a grade-A asshole, for letting my companion suffer like that.

Tyson

Date: July 14, 2020 01:20AM

They say it takes a special kind of A-hole to be a mission president and that story confirms it. It's all in a day's work for a corporate ladder climbing sycophant who aims to be in a quorum with other A-holes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.