Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 06:54PM

We got married 13 years ago in the temple although he didn't believe in the church. We resigned in 2013. Fast forward to 2020 and the corona virus. Our public school has given us the choice of online or classroom. I thought we were on the same page and I enrolled all of our 3 children into online public school. Today as the 5 of us were getting hair cuts we are waiting outside the hair salon with our masks on he says "I want to put all three in brick and mortal". 2 hours later at home I wanted to talk to him about it and he said "I know how strong you feel about not sending out children to school its better for me to keep my mouth shout. When I said to you that children could wear masks at school and you said we know not every child will follow all the rules you shot my arguments down what's the point in talking to you?" I went on ldssingles.com to find myself my eternal spouse only to find out that he never believed. Now since March almost daily I am trying to figure out what he is thinking. He wants to wait and see. Well the back to school enrollments started last week and we have talked about it. My question is he is how can I ever get an answer from him?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 07:17PM

If you send your kids to a brick and mortal school the kids had better be immortal.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 07:18PM

As a public school teacher with nearly a quarter century in the classroom (all grades 1-7,) I'm telling you, keep your kids at home if you can possibly do so. A school is a petri dish on any given day. I've seen cold, flu, stomach bugs, etc. fly around a school building. I've had kids projectile vomit in my classroom, and then have the custodian take up to two hours to show up (many times, I've cleaned it up myself.)

Here's the thing -- you are counting on your fellow parents to be sensible and not send their kids to school if they are sick. I'm telling you, that is an enormous assumption. I've seen kids start crying from the moment they walked in the door, they felt so unwell. When I ask, "Did you tell your mom?" The answer is inevitably, "Yes," or "She said to call if I don't feel better." I've seen parents dose kids with Tylenol in the morning so they can get through the first few hours. I've seen parents refuse to pick up sick kids (the child normally spends the day sleeping on his or her desk.) I've seen the school nurse send sick kids back to the classroom because there is literally no where else to put them.

Did you know that your child's teacher supplies 80-90% of what you see in your child's classroom, out of her own pocket? An average year for me is about $800. And that includes cleaning supplies -- disinfectant, wipes, paper towels, hand soap, etc. Parents send in some of that, but it isn't nearly enough. And the school is sure not going to buy it for us. Do you think my little bottle of Fantastik is up to the job of controlling a major pandemic?

Plus, scientists are starting to find that children who are positive, but asymptomatic for Covid have lung damage. Will that damage persist? No one knows. Regarding Covid, we don't know what we don't know. We have no idea whatsoever about possible lasting damage from this disease.

If it were MY kid, I'd keep him or her at home if I could possibly do so.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 04:48PM

I agree excellent advice Summer!

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 01:24AM

Public schools are done. After the Covid, there will be other deadly viruses every year. You need to figure out how to educate them without schools.

And there will also be no sports or concerts or theaters or churches or any other gatherings.

It is over.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 11:57AM

Are you a profit?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 04:51PM

He sustains himself as such.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 11:12AM

Don’t wait for answers from anybody when you know what’s right.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 11:15AM

Keep those kids home !

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 10:05PM

If you can afford to not put your kids into a physical school, then the best answer is not to. I believe schools are giving people a choice as there are some people who really can't afford to have their kids at home. Hopefully schools will have very, very few students there, and that works out best for everyone.

My school district says that I can change my decision midway thru this semester or in the next one. This made my decision to put my 2 boys into 100% online an easy one.

I would explain it to your husband as a temporary situation that can be changed later with no consequence. If after a month the schools are not seeing any real issues, you can move them back. Personally I would wait for 2-3 months, but 1 month is a good compromise.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.