Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 10:06PM

As some of us have read / understand, there was a Mormon 'reformation' and some of the members were re-baptized (? during their trips to Utah)...

On Rick Steves tonight ... about the 'Holy Land' ... he mentions that lots of christians go to the Jordan river there to re-commit to their faith....

This brings (at least to my feeble) mind: What would happen if a ChurchCo member went to their Bp / SP and told: 'I've thought & prayed about this, I've received witness of the Spirit: I want to re-commit to my faith & be re-baptized...'

after Bp / SP falls off chair....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 11:23PM

I believe rebaptism became a thing when BY took over the religion. Riven as it was by the succession struggle, the church wanted its people to recommit to Mormonism now that it was under new management. The importance of rebaptism increased greatly during the Mormon Reformation of 1856-7, when the church was paranoid about the possibility of war with the United States and wanted everyone fully committed, but by the 20th century the ritual had become rare.

It is now performed only when someone has been excommunicated and wants to rejoin the church. Poor soul. . .

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 12:15AM

I won't be applying anytime soon, I was only pointing out a glitch in ChurchCo history ('fleck' according to Wrinkley!!)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 12:20AM

I often wonder what the hell Hinckley thought he was doing. He'd spent decades out of the public eye, managing public relations quite well. But by the end he was frequently appearing on TV and saying things that either appalled Mormons or looked ridiculous to outsiders--or both.

Saying the church's authority depends on whether the BoM is true, denying textbook doctrine: sometimes it almost seemed like he wanted to bring the church down.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 01:00PM

I believe he thought the Church was a fraud. By putting so much emphasis on the BOM being the foundation of everything and then encouraging/challenging the members to read it....he may have been secretly trying to set them up for that a-ha moment of “this is really a bunch of crap”. He may have thought more would see that truth once they really read it.(because we know very few have). That, along with a number of statements we are aware of, show he was trying to send subtle messages.

One last thing... for a man in his 90’s suffering from cancer with a wife waiting in the Spirit World and not much to live for, he certainly fought to cling to this life with another round of chemo and all that suffering. I don’t know...seemed fishy tome.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 12:53AM

Was
with a group in Israel that had many who were baptized again in the Jordan. Think it was more about the novelty of place rather than a recommitment to faith.

Posted by: Lulu not logged in ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 09:51AM

You could also be rebaptized for healing.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 01:36PM

The person would be told to do temple baptisms to their hearts content. Might even give them a calling to do it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.