Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 01:52PM

Headline :"Texas county, overwhelmed with COVID-19, will deny treatment to those deemed unlikely to survive"
=============================================================

"McALLEN, TEXAS (Border Report) — In a stunning admission of how dire the COVID-19 situation is in South Texas, the health authority for one border county on Tuesday announced the formation of an ethics committee that will screen all patients for survival potential and will send home those with low probabilities.

Starr County Health Authority Dr. Jose Vazquez said Starr County Memorial Hospital, the county’s only hospital, on Tuesday implemented an ethics committee and a triage committee to review all coronavirus patients as they come in to determine what type of life-saving equipment and treatment they would likely require and whether they would likely survive. Those deemed too fragile or sick or elderly will be advised to go home to loved ones, he said."

https://www.localsyr.com/border-report-tour/survival-potential-will-determine-whether-south-texas-county-hospital-takes-in-covid-19-patients/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 01:58PM

Dave, COVID-19 is a hoax. It will go away. It will be like a miracle.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 02:01PM

Repubs said ACA / 'Obamacare' would have "Death Panels" HA!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 02:23PM

I'm not a repub, and I thought "death panels" were a joke. My dr friend says they aren't exactly called death panels, but ...

Yesterday, my 84 y/o neighbor called and read a letter saying she is now on hospice--she can no longer go to the hospital--can no longer make doctor's appointments--but, to call the hospice nurse for any health emergencies. She's only been to the hospital once in the last two years, given antibiotic and sent home. She has well controlled diabetes. Seems OK otherwise. So, why the hospice ? I'm really puzzled now over what the "death panels" are.

Actually, I'm confused as hell.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 03:20PM

Heard on the news today that in one Texas area they are determining there is no hope for some Covid patients and they are sending them home from the hospital to die.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 04:11PM

That's really odd about your neighbor, Kathleen. Perhaps you can ask her more about it?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 05:34PM

Yes, I definitely need to do that. Her family members are alarmed by the whole thing, as well.

Getting the facts straight in a way that wouldn't alarm her is the course to take. Family would be better equipped to get to the bottom of this, and determine the actual source of the letter.

I need to know because it could easily be me trying to get her to a hospital.

Date: July 23, 2020 02:16PM

The Starr County Health Authority physician is describing it as a "mass-casualty situation." His hospital is at more than 3X ICU capacity. Patients with a hope of survival are being airlifted to other hospitals in Texas and neighboring states.

What a sad situation.

Posted by: notmonotloggein ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 09:19PM

TX hospitals.

Date: July 24, 2020 12:24AM

Well, that's the problem. The article states that a certain number of patients can be sent to other hospitals, both in Texas and nearby states. They are doing this with the patients whom they think have a chance of survival. But hospital authorities are reluctant to send the sickest patients so far away.

Hospitals in the city of Houston are also transferring patients outside of the city. Jefferson County (SE Texas) is transferring patients out. Plus you have other southwestern states that are also over capacity -- Arizona hospitals are transferring patients out of state as well, generally to New Mexico.

I've heard of patients elsewhere being transferred up to 600 miles away, or more.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 05:36PM

" 'If we believe with scientific data that the patient does not have any chance to survive with a lifesaving medical device or treatment, we will have that conversation with the family,' said Dr. Jose Vasquez, the board president of the Starr County Hospital District. 'And we will give our honest point of view and perhaps make them understand that sometimes it’s better if that loved one goes home and dies within the love of a family, rather than going thousands of miles away and dying alone in a hospital room.' "

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/world/coronavirus-covid-19.html#link-6750c5d7

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 02:16PM

I have some FB "friends" who are still claiming it is a hoax, and waving around graphs to "prove" their point. ETA: one of them is in south Texas. Still claiming it is a hoax.

When hospitals are full, and ICU beds are full, and refrigerated trailers are being used to store the overflow dead, and patients are being triaged, I don't care how many graphs you have, there is a problem.

The technical term for trying to convince people that what they are seeing with their own two eyes is not true is "gaslighting".

Sheesh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 02:17PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 08:31PM

You’re obviously not looking with your spiritual eyes.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 04:08PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 02:41PM

At least none of the ChurchCo GAs said it was a hoax... Right?

Date: July 23, 2020 09:16PM

"Starr County Judge Eloy Vera blames residents for continuing to gather in groups for weddings, quinceañeras, and pachanga parties where he said communal spread of the novel virus is being propagated. He said physicians are having to make these end-of-life decisions because residents are not making good decisions."

On top of that they have an EIGHT bed COVID-19 unit, which, clearly, it wouldn't take much to overwhelm.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 11:35PM

Quinceneras and pachangas?

Well, it's no mystery that the Brown People are going to be the ones triaged via pick and shovel.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 01:11AM

Funny how notmonotloggein slipped that nuance in there, isn't it?

Date: July 24, 2020 10:35AM

You don't think it's significant to the story that the population is ignoring guidelines?

Date: July 24, 2020 10:35AM

Date: July 24, 2020 03:57PM

It was a prediction based on cynicism. It would be great if the triage people are color blind.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 04:03PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would
> be great if the triage people are color blind.

I would greatly hope so...

Posted by: P. Luke ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 05:20PM

Didn't Sarah Palin and the Republicans warn us of "Death Boards" that would decide who lived or died, if Obamacare was adopted? This is not meant as a political remark, only noting the irony that it was the lack of leadership that lead to "death boards, not Obamacare. I agree, this situation is a tragedy.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 06:53PM

Yes, irony indeed. What goes around comes around.

Date: July 24, 2020 06:50PM

"Definition of triage. 1a : the sorting of and allocation of treatment to patients and especially battle and disaster victims according to a system of priorities designed to maximize the number of survivors. b : the sorting of patients (as in an emergency room) according to the urgency of their need for care."

I think it stretches to encompass the described situation.

Date: July 24, 2020 06:56PM

Yes. It shouldn't mean refusing care. But what a nightmare for all.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 08:11PM

I am not likely to survive COVID, because my kidneys only function at about 40% due to pre-existing disease.

I have asked specifically that in the event that I need a ventilator and someone who is younger and has a better chance of surviving needs one also, please give it to the younger person and give me palliative drugs so I won't be aware of drowning in my own pulmonary fluids.

I don't think I am being gallant here, just practical.

Date: July 24, 2020 08:16PM

A little bit gallant too, catnip.

Stay safe...

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 12:14PM

The US is 'masking' the problem.

You can see though it though.

Hold on tight.
Don't close your eyes.
Don't be surprised.
Keep us apprised.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 07:05PM

And to top it off, that area in S. TX is in the bullseye for Hurricane Hanna!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.